Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 1.8 iMac vs. G4 1.5 PB?

G5 1.8 iMac vs. G4 1.5 PB?
PeterKG
Senior User
Sep 23, 2004, 12:58 AM

I have an iMac 20" on order from Apple. I just checked out the Barefeats tests and it looks like my PB beats out the iMac in most of the tasks listed, if I'm reading correctly. I would hope the opposite. What do you alll think?

Barefeats
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

php
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2004, 02:46 AM

I think it's most likely that they tested the new iMacs with the processor speed set to "automatic" and not "highest". I also have a PB 1.5Ghz and I think it's a dog for the most part. There is no way I can believe that a G5 processor running at 3Mhz faster, with a 600Mhz frontside bus compared to 167Mhz on the PB is slower than my PowerBook. I could see the frame rate animation oriented things would be faster on the PB due to the better Radeon graphics chip, but as seen on the CPU render test, the G5 iMac is almost twice as fast. Personally, I need a faster CPU in a somewhat portable package instead of better frame rates for graphics, which is why I'm buying a G5 iMac and selling my PB.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2004, 02:57 AM

Originally posted by PeterKG:
I have an iMac 20" on order from Apple. I just checked out the Barefeats tests and it looks like my PB beats out the iMac in most of the tasks listed, if I'm reading correctly. I would hope the opposite. What do you alll think?
There is a very good post on the topic here.

Basically it comes down to the fact that the increased bus speed of the iMac and its higher clock do not necessarily mean it will blow the PowerBook away at everything. The iMac certainly has a much faster disk than the PowerBooks, but the PowerBooks have better GPUs which gives them quite some lead against the iMac. However, in everyday Web/Mail/Office use I can't imagine that the iMac will actually feel slower than the PowerBook.

But then again, I see the 1.8GHz iMac beat the 1.5GHz PowerBook in quite a few tests. And there's this BareFeats quote about the price performance ratio:

It's a very good value. The 17" G5/1.8GHz iMac costs $1096 less* than the 17" PowerBook G4/1.5GHz. The 20" G5/1.8GHz iMac costs $1499 less* than the G5/1.8GHz dual processor Power Mac with a 20" Cinema display.

Forum Links
Forum Rules