Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Where is the quality control with the MBP?

Where is the quality control with the MBP?
abordercollie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2006, 07:56 PM

I just received my second macbook pro from amazon. The first one would had a battery that would not hold a charge beyond an hour and a half. This one ate my DVD, and doesn't recognize it's own superdrive, WTF? do they even test these things before they leave the factory? What a shame, i am almost tempted to go back to windows, i mean it has just been such a pain to get a working machine.

I talked to an amazon representative who tells me that roughly half of all MBP they ship out are being returned for one defect or another. The amazon rep said i should wait as they are talking to apple about what to do with their current stock of MBPs as they are having to eat shipping costs on half of the ones they sell being returned.

Overall i am pretty frustrated that i have to send this one back , and then wait for whatever period of time until they get this thing right. Has anyone else had the same issues as me ?

PeterKG
Senior User
Apr 29, 2006, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by macnewbie1
I just received my second macbook pro from amazon. The first one would had a battery that would not hold a charge beyond an hour and a half. This one ate my DVD, and doesn't recognize it's own superdrive, WTF? do they even test these things before they leave the factory? What a shame, i am almost tempted to go back to windows, i mean it has just been such a pain to get a working machine.

I talked to an amazon representative who tells me that roughly half of all MBP they ship out are being returned for one defect or another. The amazon rep said i should wait as they are talking to apple about what to do with their current stock of MBPs as they are having to eat shipping costs on half of the ones they sell being returned.

Overall i am pretty frustrated that i have to send this one back , and then wait for whatever period of time until they get this thing right. Has anyone else had the same issues as me ?

Yeah, go ahead and buy a Windows machine, as if you won't have quality issues with it too.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2006, 01:22 AM

I have to ask the same question, like at first I was happy with it, but its only 1.5 months old and we are having major, I mean major problems . firstly, there are the kernal panics about 2 a day for most days in the past month. then there is the fact that it won't stay asleep when walking around with it (god forbid you want to move your laptop from one place to another every so often), it won't read dvds or wake from sleep when you close and open the lid, of course there was the noise.

I was willing to believe that all of this was a fluke until today when iwent to the store and refused to leave till something was done. so I am sending my unit in for repair again. one very nice genius today to me to insure I get a replacement so we will see about that.
I never ever had any of this with my ibook and have to say when I went to the genius bar today more than half of the macs being looked at were mbps. so I would say yes there is little or no qaulity control being done here.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2006, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by PeterKG
Yeah, go ahead and buy a Windows machine, as if you won't have quality issues with it too.
useless
Computers:

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2006, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by onlykaria
I have to ask the same question, like at first I was happy with it, but its only 1.5 months old and we are having major, I mean major problems . firstly, there are the kernal panics about 2 a day for most days in the past month. then there is the fact that it won't stay asleep when walking around with it (god forbid you want to move your laptop from one place to another every so often), it won't read dvds or wake from sleep when you close and open the lid, of course there was the noise.
Your unit is clearly defective. Returning it, as you did, is the obvious and sensible thing to do.

To reply to the OP, the quality control, if there is any, is at the Compal (or is it Quanta?) factory. I'm not sure if they actually turn the units on before they ship them, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't; DoA rates are usually pretty low anyway.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2006, 02:11 AM

Yeah, because all "Windows" machines, regardless of who makes them or the quality of the components in them, will have QA issues.

Get your head out of your a**.

skyman
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2006, 02:14 AM

I talked to an amazon representative who tells me that roughly half of all MBP they ship out are being returned for one defect or another.
I call total BS on that statement. If it were indeed 1/2 we would be hearing a lot more complaing.

I for one am not happy with my MBP (processor whine), however I know the above statement is total BS!
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

abordercollie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2006, 04:08 AM

you can call it b.s. all you want, this is what i was told by the representative. As far as the guy posting the smart comment about windows machines, I never said that windows was a mecca i just said that every dell laptop i have owned has worked well without hardware failure for several years. Obviously that poster enjoys being a troll, as my post was not a yearning for windows, but for a machine that doesn't have hardware that fails when you open the box. I think it is pretty disappointing that Apple has contracted to whomever to make a laptop with serious defects from a lack of QC/QA measures. Getting two messed up laptops in a row does not inspire my confidence in the ability of the MBP to last very long.

irockdabari
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2006, 07:46 AM

How about the fact that the MBP is still a new item from Apple... and they are still working out the kinks... you made the choice buy the early MBP, and you should have known these things would happen with the early MBP. Why not just buy a nice PB for now? I just bought myself a PB, and its a great machine.
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2006, 08:08 AM

If your slogan is "It just works" you should make products that just work. I want to buy a Macbook in the summer. Shortly thereafter I will be leaving the USA. Here in Israel there's no Amazon.com or Apple Store, so if my laptop is f***** up I won't be able to do what some of you seem to be doing with returns and yelling at "Geniuses" and the like.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2006, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by irockdabari
How about the fact that the MBP is still a new item from Apple... and they are still working out the kinks... you made the choice buy the early MBP, and you should have known these things would happen with the early MBP. Why not just buy a nice PB for now? I just bought myself a PB, and its a great machine.
lame.

ok here is the thing-
is the sleep functionality new?
nope
is the cd rom/dvd funtionality new? nope
is either funtionality new inside of a high end machine new? nope.

you can try to say that the whine is unexpected because x and y are new but kernal panics 24 seven, crap super drives, and sleepless machines are all things that are the direct result of bad quality control plain and simple. machines should not ship with any of the problems but they have in none too small numbers. and to ship a machine with all of these problems is craptastic. like I said I was willing to accept this was a fluke until I saw just how many mbps were being taken to the genius bar
Computers:

pete
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2006, 08:19 AM

What I find most depressing is that buying a new mac now has become a complete gamble. It feels like there is less chance to get a good machine than one with defects of various severity - LCDs., sounds, warped bezels, heat, sound problems, you name it. the last generation of powerbooks were exactly the same! I don;t know what to say, but Apple has been having more problems recently than it used to but if we want os x we're stuck.

Leopard Employee
Apr 29, 2006, 09:35 AM

I don't think it will be to long before you can but OSX to put on a PC since we can have windows on the MBP through boot camp. So if there are real hard wear problems people will vote withe there feet on mac hardwear. It would be a shame as they seemed to be able to get it so right before.

I should also mention that in 2 years with my PowerBook I have had no hardwear issues at all, in fact the only problems I have encounter have been heavily on the side of operator error ie me!!!

I personally still have faith that these things will be sorted out but I guess I don't have the bitter taste in the mouth yet.

Also if i never have to go to ing PC World again I would put up with almost anything

Peteso

pete
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2006, 09:50 AM

yeah, using a pc for a while makes you much more resistant to the problems of mac hardware. It's a good cure!

skyman
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2006, 10:44 AM

you can call it b.s. all you want, this is what i was told by the representative.
And you believe everything some min wage sales person at Amazon tells you?

As far as the guy posting the smart comment about windows machines, I never said that windows was a mecca i just said that every dell laptop i have owned has worked well without hardware failure for several years.
I am an IT Manager for a completely Windows/Dell environment and I have the pleasure of calling Dell at least once a month to get either a desktop or laptop repaired. Dell QC is no better than Apples or anyone's for that matter.

Obviously that poster enjoys being a troll
You make me laugh. You have 2 post and the person you are calling a troll has over 400 posts. If anyone is the troll it is you my friend.

as my post was not a yearning for windows, but for a machine that doesn't have hardware that fails when you open the box. I think it is pretty disappointing that Apple has contracted to whomever to make a laptop with serious defects from a lack of QC/QA measures.
I just love this statment as if you know about the QC of "whomever".

Getting two messed up laptops in a row does not inspire my confidence in the ability of the MBP to last very long.
I have owned 5 PowerMac's, 5 PowerBooks (MBP included), 3 iMacs and never had an issue with any of them until the MBP. The processor whine is defiantly annoying and had I known about it earlier I might have held off upgrading from my 1GHz Ti PB. But the MBP is a screaming machine and smokes my Ti PB.

Yes, I am pissed that Apple is giving everyone the run around regarding the processor whine but I am sure (I hope) it will get resolved. At least I will make sure mine does.

macnewbie1, you need to call Apple and explain the problems you are having and demand a new system.

PeterKG
Senior User
Apr 29, 2006, 11:04 AM

Here is the "troll" chiming in again. My comment was made to the absurdity that because you have issues with your MBP, that you would go back to a "Windows" machine, and not have the same issues. That statement was laughable in itself. Call me what you want but purchasing any computer is a crap shoot as far as hardware failure goes. I would take my MBP or any Apple any day over a creaky piece of crap, Dell laptop.

Oh, and by the way, it took me two returns to get a perfect MBP, so I might agree with the original poster, that QC should be improved. But this third MBP is the best Apple computer I have ever owned. But coming here to just piss and moan is a useless waste of time.

Thanks skyman for the support. The term "troll" on forums like this are saved for a person with only two posts, that are meant to trash or complain, rather than offer any substance.
( Last edited by PeterKG; Apr 29, 2006 at 11:24 AM. )
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

skyman
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2006, 11:48 AM

Thanks skyman for the support. The term "troll" on forums like this are saved for a person with only two posts, that are meant to trash or complain, rather than offer any substance.
Anytime Pete...

We trolls have to stick up for each other!

abordercollie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2006, 03:13 PM

hey guys, sorry if i referred to as trolls, you are not. I was just really frustrated at the time. I guess i just need some encouragement that i will actaully get a functioning laptop at some point in the future. Even if i get one that is defect free, what about the whine? So far even the second one has the whine. I hope there is a fix for it as you all know , it is pretty effing annoying. I guess all i can hope for is that the adage "the third time is the charm" holds true in my case. Still, shipping out stuff that has so many problems really reflects poorly on the Apple brand. My family now holds the opinion that apple products are of poor qaulity after hearing that i have had a second defective machine. I know this is just a fluke, but if i weren't a patient guy i would be over with this. OSX rocks, so I want to stick it out, but i need some encouragement. I wishi apple would introduce a widescreen 13inch mbp, but so does half this forum.

skyman
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2006, 04:40 PM

hey guys, sorry if i referred to as trolls, you are not. I was just really frustrated at the time. I guess i just need some encouragement that i will actaully get a functioning laptop at some point in the future. Even if i get one that is defect free, what about the whine? So far even the second one has the whine. I hope there is a fix for it as you all know , it is pretty effing annoying. I guess all i can hope for is that the adage "the third time is the charm" holds true in my case. Still, shipping out stuff that has so many problems really reflects poorly on the Apple brand. My family now holds the opinion that apple products are of poor qaulity after hearing that i have had a second defective machine. I know this is just a fluke, but if i weren't a patient guy i would be over with this. OSX rocks, so I want to stick it out, but i need some encouragement. I wishi apple would introduce a widescreen 13inch mbp, but so does half this forum.
Join the club....

I am on my 3rd MBP with the processor whine and waiting for a 4th replacement to arrive from Apple. I guess the saying "third time is a charm" went out the window with the MBP.

I have my fingers crossed the MBP #4 will be whine free.

abordercollie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2006, 05:12 PM

To me, It is insane that they can keep shipping laptops with the hissing whine noise. I may just return this and wait it out until apple can get it' act together as far QC for the macbook. That is utterly ridiculous to go through 4 computers, but who knows. It will be interesting to see if the 17 inch models have the whine too

zombie67
Senior User
Apr 30, 2006, 03:12 AM

My MBP had a wrapped LCD. I sent it back to amazon for exchange, but they just give me refund instead. Maybe they are just tired of dealing with those problems.

Forum Links
Forum Rules