Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple keyboard update - 1.0

Apple keyboard update - 1.0
phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2006, 05:00 AM

Some report from other sites saying this update bring back the whining noise that was fixed from the Firmware Update not too long ago. Should I install this update?
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

Busemann
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2006, 06:18 AM

Eveyrthnig semes to be wroknig prefetcly hree

Peabo
Senior User
Apr 28, 2006, 06:51 AM

after installing it, my Macbook seems to 'hiss' whenever it's not processing something...
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2006, 07:31 AM

The previous firmware updates didn't solve my CPU whine problem, so I figure this update won't do any harm in that respect. I'll apply it as soon as I'm done with work.

Peabo
Senior User
Apr 28, 2006, 07:35 AM

I've been using my Macbook Pro for over a month with no whine to speak of. Installing this update gave me the whine!
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

phantomo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2006, 01:02 PM

My 1.83 didn't have whining noise to begin with. It is a "Revision D" MBP produced in week 13. However, my boss' 2.0GHz (also week 13) did have minor whining noise and after apply the recent firmware update 1.0.1. The noise is gone.

I will probably test on his machine first next week. Any others who can also share their experience? I don't want to make my MBP to whine because I work in very quiet environment.
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

gperks
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2006, 03:39 PM

I woder what this keboard update fixes? Does ayoe have a idea? Wh oh wh does Apple make patches with o release otes?

Mabe the "y-n" problem is fixed?

quilmes
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2006, 03:45 PM

i have found absolulty no changes.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2006, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Busemann
Funniest post in, like, forever.

Stelex
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2006, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Busemann
...hree ??? Are you sure ?

Sorry mate, couldn't resist.

PeterKG
Senior User
Apr 30, 2006, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by phantomo
It is a "Revision D" MBP produced in week 13.
There is no such thing as a "Revision D" MBP. These are revison A models. Don't believe everything you read from a blogger.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

hmp
May 1, 2006, 06:02 PM

This sucks. After applying the keyboard update, the mirror widget trick doesn't work for me. Only when I have my bluetooth keyboard connected does the whine go away. Otherwise, I have to leave the mirror widget or photobooth on.

Are there any other solutions that don't require me leaving the camera on or having my wireless keyboard attached?

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 1, 2006, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by hmp
This sucks. After applying the keyboard update, the mirror widget trick doesn't work for me. Only when I have my bluetooth keyboard connected does the whine go away. Otherwise, I have to leave the mirror widget or photobooth on.

Are there any other solutions that don't require me leaving the camera on or having my wireless keyboard attached?
Yes, how about hauling or shipping it back to Apple to have it fixed or replaced? Why are you tolerating a computer that is defective?

hmp
May 1, 2006, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Yes, how about hauling or shipping it back to Apple to have it fixed or replaced? Why are you tolerating a computer that is defective?
Unfortunately, I've already tried that. I was informed that the whine is "in spec" and that they won't do anything about it.

I didn't mind it before because it was easily fixable (just open the widget for a second after a restart). Now it's a nuisance, and quite embarassing because it's so loud.

Guess I'll just have to wait for another unofficial fix...

Timetheus
Forum Regular
May 1, 2006, 08:36 PM

It made the mirror trick not work on my MBP, fortunately there is a post in the Apple Forum explaining how to uninstall it (which I did, the whine was far worse than any benefit in the update). Here's the link:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....31486&#2231486

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 1, 2006, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by hmp
Unfortunately, I've already tried that. I was informed that the whine is "in spec" and that they won't do anything about it.

I didn't mind it before because it was easily fixable (just open the widget for a second after a restart). Now it's a nuisance, and quite embarassing because it's so loud.

Guess I'll just have to wait for another unofficial fix...
wow, I'm sorry about that. Did you ship it or take it into a store? I can't believe they said the whine was within spec. I've heard that the whine sometimes starts a few months after you've owned a MBP. Since I own a MBP, this worries me.

hmp
May 1, 2006, 08:45 PM

I talked to them on the phone and in the store. Both the genius bar and Apple support basically said that there was nothing they could do.

My whine has been there since the beginning, but was never a real problem until now. I think the only way that others have had the whine come out of nowhere is after applying one of the recent updates. Hopefully it won't happen to you - if it does, you WILL notice it..

khufuu
May 12, 2006, 10:15 PM

Has anyone experienced the whine/hiss decreasing dramatically when you scroll on your track pad?

hmp
May 13, 2006, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by khufuu
Has anyone experienced the whine/hiss decreasing dramatically when you scroll on your track pad?
In my case, scrolling has no effect on the whine...still just as loud

I just finished following the directions from the Apple thread (uninstalling keyboard update)...the old mirror widget trick works again!
( Last edited by hmp; May 13, 2006 at 05:41 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules