Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I'm schizo and the MBP is an embarrassment

I'm schizo and the MBP is an embarrassment (Page 2)
pete  (op)
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 05:42 AM

thanks. It's day 2 and I'm still happy. If I can make it through the weekend, I think I'll be ok.

: )

Dr.Michael
May 26, 2006, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by shiff
This is not directed to Dr Michael at all, but I hate the fact that WE, as consumers, have let it go this far. When I buy a new product I do NOT expect to be a beta tester. This goes for any product from any company.

I am in software development and that is why this makes me so angry. I can see some of the big bugs the software/hardware has and the "Managers" decide to release anyway so money can be made. It does not all have to be this way. I work with some projects where there can be NO bugs in the software at all, but where getting to market is important; these issues will always happen.

I have not a doubt in my mind that Apple knew about the heat issues as well as the whine, but decided to release anyway. It is cheaper for them to go ahead and release the products and fix the broken ones then wait and fall behind on release dates.

It is just a sad day when the consumer is no longer in control and WE just have to deal with things and expect things to go wrong. This happens with all products though and not just Apple.

What is the consequence for us consumers? Read reviews before we buy? My problem is that most reviews are pretty superficial. Most reviewers use a product only a few hours before they throw out their piece of paper. Much too early. But who reads a MacBook review 3 months after the release?

Just have a look at Mosbergs reviews. They wouldn't be different if he were paid by apple (maybe he can use steves jet ).

(although your reply was not directed to me I answer).
( Last edited by Dr.Michael; May 26, 2006 at 06:23 AM. )

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2006, 07:42 AM

If they did not know about the heat issue they would not have posted a burn warning in the MBP manual. I do not own one but read a post saying that it is in there. Is this true or not?

Dr.Michael
May 26, 2006, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by buddy1065
If they did not know about the heat issue they would not have posted a burn warning in the MBP manual. I do not own one but read a post saying that it is in there. Is this true or not?
Intel states in the specs of the core duo that operating temperatures of 100 degrees C (212 F) are normal.

The manual of the MacBook Pro says:
"Do not leave the bottom of your MacBook Pro in contact with your lap or any surface
of your body for extended periods. Prolonged contact with your body could cause
discomfort and potentially a burn. "

From older manuals (TiBook 1GHz):
"When using your PowerBook or when charging the battery, it is normal for the bottom of the case to get warm."

So the passage with the potential burn is indeed new.

Eos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2006, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by skyman
And you base this on what evidence?

You are completely clueless!!

I am an IT manager for a company that is exclusively all Dell. I have a Dell repair tech here on average of twice a month to fix both laptops and desktops that have failed. Dells QC is no better than Apple's!
Likewise, I'm an IT manager for a medium sized software house, Dell exclusive, notebooks, desktops and servers. We very rarely have to get anyone out. Are you buying inspiron/dimension machines? We only buy latitudes & optiplex.

You really need to speak to your account manager!

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Eos
Likewise, I'm an IT manager for a medium sized software house, Dell exclusive, notebooks, desktops and servers. We very rarely have to get anyone out. Are you buying inspiron/dimension machines? We only buy latitudes & optiplex.

You really need to speak to your account manager!
I'm also the network admin for a fairly large business, using Dell and IBM mostly (Optiplex and Thinkpads). I can count on one hand the number of times any system has required defect related hardware service in the past 4 years.

Kadman
May 26, 2006, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
I'm also the network admin for a fairly large business, using Dell and IBM mostly (Optiplex and Thinkpads). I can count on one hand the number of times any system has required defect related hardware service in the past 4 years.
Ditto. 2100 employees and the Dell quality is pretty high here. I'm typing this on a D820. It has a core duo processor, 15.4" widescreen, 1 GB ram, 256MB ATI video card, 7200RPM HD, and even a dual layer DVD burner (still ticked that the 15" MBP didn't get one). This is a rev A that was ordered literally within the first hour that they made them available to business customers, was built on the first day of production and I haven't had a single issue with it. I like my Macs, but people need to get over this "Apple is automatically better" mentality because it's simply not true. I would be shocked if some of the components aren't being provided by some of the same companies.

PeterKG
Senior User
May 26, 2006, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kadman
people need to get over this "Apple is automatically better" mentality because it's simply not true.
I don't think it's a quality comparison issue. To me it's design, and software. I simply hate the look of a Dell tank. I also don't like Windows. Period.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2006, 03:20 AM

I agree with both of you: The 'Apple is automatically better' attitude is wrong. Apple has issues to deal with and we all know that. OTOH I'd never consider a Dell. They look and feel cheap, most of the Dells I get to see are just plain obese and frankly, if I don't just take what their PR department wants to shove down my throat and I rather configure my machines, I'm much cheaper off buying other PC brands. And don't even get me started about Windows (Linux is fine though).

Kadman
May 27, 2006, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
I agree with both of you: The 'Apple is automatically better' attitude is wrong. Apple has issues to deal with and we all know that. OTOH I'd never consider a Dell. They look and feel cheap, most of the Dells I get to see are just plain obese and frankly, if I don't just take what their PR department wants to shove down my throat and I rather configure my machines, I'm much cheaper off buying other PC brands. And don't even get me started about Windows (Linux is fine though).
Most of their "home line" (Inspiron) are chunky and not much to look at, I agree. I bought my son an Inspiron 6000 some time ago, but a 10 year old is more into games and surfing candystand.com than working about pleasing lines on the physical device. lol However, if you haven't seen the absolute latest in their business line (Latitude 620, 820), you might be surprised. It's certainly not Apple design, but they are solid and nice looking systems. I'm not sure what you are referring to in terms of "shoving down your through" and not being able to configure. Dell is probaby the most configurable system I've seen. Trying to customize a Mac is frustrating by comparison. For example, if I decide I want a 15.4" dual core system, I can then decide from 4 different ram amounts, 3 or 4 different display resolutions and finishes (matte or gloss), 5 or 6 HD sizes and speeds, different wireless brands, BT or no BT, 4 different optical drive versions, etc. Compare that to what choices you get with a MBP. In fact, probably the last thing keeping me from getting a MBP at this point is that they didn't include a DL burner. I find that inexcusable at this point in the ballgame. For now I'll use my Core Duo Dell Latitude with Sony Vegas for my video editing and burning because I can burn my stuff out to DL media.

Sorry If this is straying too far from the original topic, but I think it was going the path of fit & finish, so it's somewhere in the ballpark, right?

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2006, 11:58 AM

I may end up with a PC laptop over this Memorial day weekend. Absolutely need a 13" or under with a PC or expresscard slot and dedicated graphics chip. Wish it could have been the Macbook. My prime choices now are either a Sony 2 Ghz core duo SZ-140 from Portableone.com or an upcomming 12" widescreen maybe on the shelves this weekend from...GULP...DELL.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/04/30/d...-m1210-leaked/

That's an old link. I hear Japan already has them on the shelves with 256 MB nVidia 7400 and 2 Ghz core duo. You can google to find out for yourself if you care about such things.

Not the cutest laptop in the world but better than some of the offerings from DELL that I've seen.

For me the smaller the better for mobile applications like webb surfing, occasional gaming, etc. I will keep my flawless 1.5 Ghz 17" Powerbook at home for the video editing. Some may think 12" is too small for gaming but do not consider the thousands of PSP's sold. 12" is no big deal breaker; in fact I prefer it.

I sincerely wish the Macbook could have been the one though.

EDIT: Looks like the Macbook may be in the running after all. I read on EVDO forums where a guy is using a V3 phone connecting to his Macbook via USB sucessfully for Verizons EVDO. Hmmm...this could work. He even says he can use bluetooth. So a 2 Ghz black Macbook doesn't sound too bad after all. Now all I have to do is research heat and whining issues with the Mackbook. Hope it's not as bad as the 15".
( Last edited by buddy1065; May 27, 2006 at 12:27 PM. )

Anti-Spam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2006, 10:23 PM

To those IT professionals who say that 'they' have worked in repairing Dell, and other manufacture's have a warehouse full of defective computers, well, Have you ever thought that these companie probably sell 5x more laptops than Apple does?

Today the Apple apologist came out to play.
Dont compare Apple to other companies, Compare Apple to Apple,
and these MBP's have crap QC compaired to other computer lines.

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2006, 09:53 AM

In my experience with both dell and apple i have to say that all companies are the same. sometimes you get brilliant service from dell and sometimes not. sometimes apple is awesome and sometimes they have been totally shite!

I own dell and apple products and each have had major problems but they were fixed and now everything is grand.

It is not possible to put a label on one company and say that "this company is consistently better" than others. if someone wants to prove that one is better than another then let them take a very extensive survey and show beyond doubt.

Having said that, dont go talking about small 'el cheapo' brands. they dont count! i talk with respect to well known top 5 manufacturers.

In response to others who claim that the 'dont buy a rev A' is a lame argument... what planet are you on? you just need to read the history of products to see that this is a very significant issue that does exist. The MBP has already undergone several changes to hardware since they have been distributed. Design flaws are not a major thing, just the components that are used are changed as it becomes uncovered that certain manufacturers of those components are not producing to a high enough quality. This is only able to be done after enough users find common problems. this is evidence of there being issues when buying rev a models. if you want to be exposed to these problems then go right ahead and buy it. i dont care either way. ignore it if you want but i wont ignore it.

cheers.
robM.

Dr.Michael
May 28, 2006, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by phoenix78
It is not possible to put a label on one company and say that "this company is consistently better" than others. if someone wants to prove that one is better than another then let them take a very extensive survey and show beyond doubt.
This has been done.

In one of my favorite computer magazines (german c't) surveys about how satisfied users are with their computers and the service are regularly published (once a year normally and they usually ask a couple of thousand customers). The first and last places vary from year to year, but in general apple is usually among the best (together with ibm), Dell usually is among the losers. Sony, hp, acer, fujitsu etc. inbetween.
Considering that you ask for more if you pay 2000$ for a computer compared to 800 for a Dell, Apples results have always been respectable (that does not mean that I want to excuse the qc problems).

Dr.Michael
May 28, 2006, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by phoenix78
In response to others who claim that the 'dont buy a rev A' is a lame argument... what planet are you on? you just need to read the history of products to see that this is a very significant issue that does exist. The MBP has already undergone several changes to hardware since they have been distributed. Design flaws are not a major thing, just the components that are used are changed as it becomes uncovered that certain manufacturers of those components are not producing to a high enough quality. This is only able to be done after enough users find common problems. this is evidence of there being issues when buying rev a models. if you want to be exposed to these problems then go right ahead and buy it. i dont care either way. ignore it if you want but i wont ignore it.

cheers.
robM.
Maybe the internet is not only international but intergalactic and we are talking to aliens?

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2006, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by shunt
Look, Apple is a company that is made up of people...living, breathing people like us who make mistakes. But, I think as a whole they still kick ass on a daily basis. We're out of the dark times now with a great OS, and I too sometimes keep expecting more and more.

But hey, I'm grateful for what we have...how far we've come.

I say get the Macbook, in black. If I had the cash I'd be picking one up myself, but I get by just fine with what I have.

Chekc out what was in my back yard a few minutes ago, I was in the kitchen *eating again* ha, and they snuck up on me...mama and little one. (I really need a new camera)

lol you do. may i recommend the panasonic lumix. i LOVE mine. all the panasonic lumix have anti-shake technology that works amazingly well, and with 6x or 12x optical zoom its a gem. and while not officially supported by iphoto or aperture you know it works like a charm when you plug it in to sync.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2006, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Dr.Michael
[100th repetition]
The Pismo was the last of the G3 Powerbooks and Apple had time for a long line of improvements before they came out with something (nearly) perfect.

If you buy a rev a you get the latest and coolest new toy but you cannot assume that its perfect. Especially not after such huge changes like new processor, new motherboard architecture, new chipset, new operating system (yes, it has to be re-compiled and adapted to the cpu). If you buy a rev a even though, you have to be prepared for issues. Just don't do it if you are picky!!! Understand that you are a beta tester.

Hey, did you read that? Did you understand? Did you digest?

[/100th repetition]

If not, start to write software and see what your users will tell you after your first release.
Well, we all need beta testers. Economy wouldn't work without them. But maybe you are just not this type of guy. Not bad, just react accordingly and wait for rev b or c. It works!
what a load of crap.

i had a last or near last revision ibook, and it had major design and other issues. how do you explain that?

i did go through 3 mbp 15" and many of the parts that had problems like the dvd where not new, and then apple upgraded me to a 17" (for free) and it has no major problems beyond heat which is to be expected of a laptop with these specs.

do you know what can account for that? quality control plain and simple. when i got the 17" it was opened it up right there at the store, hardware tests were done, drives were examined and it was...get this...tested to insure quality.

if the last macbook pro 15in that i had, had been tested thus they would have DEFINITELY discovered that it did not have a working dvd drive out of the box, and that half the drivers were not properly installed.
Computers:

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2006, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by onlykaria
...and that half the drivers were not properly installed.
Since when do Macs have any drivers for out-of-the-box that are required beyond the standard OS?

I'm not saying that the OS installation from the factory couldn't be corrupt, but its not like there were some drivers they "forgot" to install or were installed improperly (unlike what can happen on a Windows machine).

/non-whining, non-excessively hot, non-warped 15" MBP @ 2.16GHz

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2006, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by MovieCutter
No wonder Mac users get a bad reputation as elitist nitpickers...

We have the nicest laptops in the industry with less issues than most manufacturers, and just because a very small percentage of people post with problems, consumers see those with problems as a majority and think "Oh my god, these computers must be trouble". The whole thing is idiotic. "Oh no, my screen one nanometer above the base WHEN CLOSED AND I'M NOT USING IT, it must be defective." Talk to me when your laptop doesn't boot up, or you can't wipe the drive because Windows won't let you, or your logic board dies after 2 months.
wow you are an a**. the very idea that you are telling me and others that i should put up with dead dvd drives because you dont see it as a big enough issue as a dead logic board. or that users like me should put up with laptops that dont close properly and thus turn on and off in transport, thus draining batt life and causing the hd to spin when it should not is not as bad as a dead logic board and therefore a non issue is just asinine.

Originally Posted by pete
Funny. Last night, just after I was bragging about how the pismo was saving me, the Pismo hard drive crashed. I've been fortunate to never have experienced a total HDD crash. Not a nice sound, a kind of cluck cluck cluck from the upper right side. I rebooted and it booted but incredibly slow. Did it again and just a gray screen came up. The noise became louder and louder and I just pulled the battery to stop it.

So, suddenly my girlfriend and i were without any computers. First time in many years. So, since we all know that I'm obsessive or schizo or something else undiagnosed, I went back to the Apple Store this morning and bought yet another MBP! I talked with a really nice sales person who said they've had three batches of MBP and the last one has addressed many of the issues of the first few. I asked what week they are and she made a call and came back to tell me that they are all the latest batch. When I checked out it turned that it was a week 16, not 20 like some people have received. I was about to walk out again, but I can't waste more time on this so I handed over my credit card.

The good news is that the screen on this one is much nicer. It has better viewing angles than the other two I had, whites are much whiter and in fact even whiter than my Cinema 20" display, and illumination is relatively even except for a slightly brighter bottom that you can only see when looking on a gray screen or from a side angle.

The heat is still there, but does appear slightly cooler than the previous one. I have decided to force myself to get used to it since this is what Apple is selling now and probably for a while. Either a go back to PPC, switch over to windows or get used to this. The choice is obvious right now.

Fit and finish. Hmm, it's ok. Definitely a warped bezel and there are some minor imperfections that resulted from sloppy assembly. It's definitely not as good as the macbooks, but I guess it's fine. Part of my personal therapy to get rid of my obsessive compulsion with laptop perfection is to accept what I cannot change....I have no energy left to try to locate the only perfect Macbook pro around: the one Steve Jobs is using.

Besides the heat, the only thing that really gets to me is that after reboot airport doesn't connect and I have to turn it off and turn it on a few times to get it to work. I really hope Apple will release another firmware to address this issue.....I don't want to have to return this one too.

Unless something really bad happens in the next week, I've decided that I'm going to keep this one and work around its deficiences. This is not my last computer so rather than see it as something permanent (with permanence meaning that I want perfection), I'm going to try to see it as a temporary work tool whose positive attributes outweigh its imperfections.

Thanks everybody for your input! I kind of like this forum....as you may have noticed already.

that i where i am as well. this thing is hot, but as i have read around and studied up on it, heat is to be expected in a laptop this size and there are solutions to the problem of heat (lapdesk and others) plus no machine is prefect regardless of revision, but just as long as works and does everything you paid for it to be able to do its ok.

good luck with your new machine.
Computers:

Dr.Michael
May 28, 2006, 11:47 AM

what a load of crap.

blablabla...
just go to the macintouch database (or elsewhere) and have a look at the repair statistics. You will find that the first revision usually needs much more service than later revisions, with the exception of the series where apple did not manage to fix the bugs (G3 iBooks motherboard, Tibook hinges, etc.).
Completely unrelated if the reason is bad quality control or forgotten chewing gums. Its just a fact. Stop, end of discussion.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2006, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
Since when do Macs have any drivers for out-of-the-box that are required beyond the standard OS?

I'm not saying that the OS installation from the factory couldn't be corrupt, but its not like there were some drivers they "forgot" to install or were installed improperly (unlike what can happen on a Windows machine).

/non-whining, non-excessively hot, non-warped 15" MBP @ 2.16GHz
the machine came without dvd drivers... when you go to about this mac and click on more info... you will see all manner of info. in a machine with all its drivers it will tell you what kind of optical drive you have.

well the last 15in mbp that had did not have this info, would not recognize the dvd and by apple's own admission it shipped without the drivers needed to recognize the dvd drive. i started a thread about it where it list all the details.
Computers:

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 28, 2006, 11:57 AM

the machine came without dvd drivers... when you go to about this mac and click on more info... you will see all manner of info. in a machine with all its drivers it will tell you what kind of optical drive you have.

well the last 15in mbp that had did not have this info, would not recognize the dvd and by apple's own admission it shipped without the drivers needed to recognize the dvd drive. i started a thread about it where it list all the details.
I can't believe that such a thing is even possible. (I'm referring to the idea that the drivers weren't installed, not that it wouldn't recognize the drive.) A stock install of Tiger has all the drivers required for stock configurations. They would have to go and intentionally delete them for what you say to be true.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2006, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dr.Michael
just go to the macintouch database (or elsewhere) and have a look at the repair statistics. You will find that the first revision usually needs much more service than later revisions, with the exception of the series where apple did not manage to fix the bugs (G3 iBooks motherboard, Tibook hinges, etc.).
Completely unrelated if the reason is bad quality control or forgotten chewing gums. Its just a fact. Stop, end of discussion.
me thinks your idea of facts is more along the line of truthiness at which point it is definitely the end of the discussion.
Computers:

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2006, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
I can't believe that such a thing is even possible. (I'm referring to the idea that the drivers weren't installed, not that it wouldn't recognize the drive.) A stock install of Tiger has all the drivers required for stock configurations. They would have to go and intentionally delete them for what you say to be true.
i do not know what they did. i didnt think something like was possible, till it happened.

what i do know is that when the machine got to me it did not have the drivers to see the dvd drive. apple verified this over the phone and at the store when i took it in, thats how i wound up with an $800 upgrade to the top end 17in for free.

for me as a consumer, without knowing all the details of the inner workings of the machine its seems clear that something is very wrong for that get to a consumers hands.
Computers:

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 28, 2006, 12:06 PM

It seems a lot more likely that the drive itself was bad, which meant that the computer couldn't recognize it. Perhaps the person you talked to didn't know what he was talking about. Anyway, it sounds like you came out OK in the end.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2006, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
It seems a lot more likely that the drive itself was bad, which meant that the computer couldn't recognize it. Perhaps the person you talked to didn't know what he was talking about. Anyway, it sounds like you came out OK in the end.
yeah i came out fine.

i was told that by 2 certified apple servicemen. one on the fone and one at the apple store.

but like as a mystery, i thought about a few things:
they could be wrong.
apple sent me a used machine as new in which the previous user was doing lord knows what to the machine
and there was a problem recognizing the drive unrelated to the drivers.

yeah like i said this new machine was definitely checked over and definitely when through good quality control. so its no surprise that it works as it should. and i think my experience of having to do that has really lead me to believe, with good reason, that as least some of problems with the MBP would not be thus with better Quality Control.
Computers:

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
May 28, 2006, 12:30 PM

It's Sunday and I still like my machine! Yessss!

The weather has been warm here the past few days but the machine has remained fine heat-wise. In fact, I would almost say that there isn't really a heat problem with this MBP. The machine idles at 47C and in normal use of safari, email, word and daily simple stuff stays around 51-55C. When I really max out it can go up to 73C but never beyond because the fans control the heat well at that point. Importantly, the HDD sensor shows much lower temps than the previous units I had and averages about 40C after extended use (the other one was around 45). As for the case itself - the bottom and top left corner can get hot after extended use, but not so hot that I can't keep my hand there. The rest of the top is usually cool, except for the right palm rest which sometimes gets luke warm.

So I'm really happy to say that in terms of heat, this MBP is perfectly acceptable.

Also, the problems I had connecting to my wireless network after reboot have gone away. No idea why, but that's ok...
( Last edited by pete; May 28, 2006 at 12:50 PM. )

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2006, 12:37 PM

The weather has been warm here the past few days but the machine has remained fine heat-wise. In fact, I would almost say that there isn't really a heat problem with this MBP. The machine idles at 47C and in normal use of safari, email, word and daily simple stuff stays around 51-55C. When I really max out it can go up to 73C but never beyond because the fans control the heat well at that point. Importantly, the HDD sensor shows much lower temps than the previous units I had and averages about 40C after extended use (the other one was around 45). As for the case itself - the bottom and top left corner can get hot after extended use, but not so hot that I can't keep my hand there. The rest of the top is usually cool, except for the right palm rest which sometimes gets luke warm.

So I'm really happy to say that in terms of heat, this MBP is perfectly acceptable.
Congrats.

Perhaps you can change your sig

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2006, 01:05 PM

Also, the problems I had connecting to my wireless network after reboot have gone away. No idea why, but that's ok...
very NICE!!! like your new sig!!!
Computers:

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
May 28, 2006, 08:23 PM

Another update on the heat and not such a good one. i've been working in aperture for the past few hours, mainly deleting, copying and cleaning up my 17gb of photos. While the CPU temperature has stayed between 62-73C, the HDD has shot up to 52C(125.6F! The left palmrest is very very warm and would not be suitable for comfortable use at all.

I also think this is the upper operating temperature for the HDD and might affect its longevity. What I don't get is why the fans don't kick in to cool the drive - the only seem to kick in when the CPU temp gets high.

Hmm....don't know what to say.

mrmister
Mac Elite
May 28, 2006, 08:39 PM

Pete!

For your own sanity, take a one week break from MacNN, other Mac forums and all Mac info. Stop running all scans of your Mac's state, and just try to use the machine.

This is not because your concerns are misplaced--they're not. I just think that it might be a helpful re-alignment for yourself. This is just gentle advice--take it or leave it.

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
May 28, 2006, 08:58 PM

Hi Mr.Mister -thanks for the advice. It's good advice. It is ridiculous how obsessive I've become about this. it's hard to ignore the heat when you're working on the machine and the temperature keeps rising and it becomes more and more uncomfortable to use.

On a day-to-day basis the machine seem good, but any prolonged more CPU intensive use makes it too hot for comfort.

Ok, nuff of this. See you later!

PeterKG
Senior User
May 29, 2006, 12:18 AM

Hi Mr.Mister -thanks for the advice. It's good advice. It is ridiculous how obsessive I've become about this. it's hard to ignore the heat when you're working on the machine and the temperature keeps rising and it becomes more and more uncomfortable to use.

On a day-to-day basis the machine seem good, but any prolonged more CPU intensive use makes it too hot for comfort.

Ok, nuff of this. See you later!

Pete, the dual core runs hot. Period. No big deal. They cool down fast. Enjoy your machine. Get off the theres a problem with my computer merry-go-round.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

mrmister
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 12:46 AM

Hopefully pete won't be reading that message...for about a week.

Hope he's having fun.

Dr.Michael
May 29, 2006, 02:55 AM

While the CPU temperature has stayed between 62-73C, the HDD has shot up to 52C(125.6F!

That perfectly within specs. According to the intel specification of the core duo, it can run as hot as 100C! 52 for the drive is also ok. The drive in my old 12 inch Powerbook got as hot as that and worked without issues until I sold it after 2.5 years. Hard drives get very warm. Both Hitachi and Seagate specify up to 55C for their drives. Since you used your macbook with maximum hd activity while you were cleaning up photos its perfectly ok that the temperature is close to the upper limit.

Everything . Enjoy! I am glad you finally got a good machine.
( Last edited by Dr.Michael; May 29, 2006 at 09:45 AM. )

gentryfunk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2006, 01:35 PM

I like my 15" 1.67Mhz G4 (final version). While dual core processor is nice, the speed difference is not signifincant (yet) and the Powerbook is great.
15" MBP, 2.66Ghz, 4 GB RAM
and....17" iMac C2D
and....Mac Classic II (still running well)
and.....a couple of homebuilt game machines and other ancient stuff like OS/2, BeOS, and Windows 2.0!

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2006, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by gentryfunk
I like my 15" 1.67Mhz G4 (final version). While dual core processor is nice, the speed difference is not signifincant (yet) and the Powerbook is great.
Depending on what you do that's not quite right. I have the same PowerBook you do and I also have a 2GHz MBP. In HandBrake the MPEG4 compression has a ~3x higher frame rate than on the PowerBook. In my book, a factor 3 is a huge difference. It's the kind of difference that you feel immediately. Of course depending on what apps you use (for example if you rely on PPC-only apps) YMMV.

skyman
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by gentryfunk
While dual core processor is nice, the speed difference is not signifincant (yet) and the Powerbook is great.
You are 100% incorrect. The speed difference is at least 3X to as much as 5X greater depending on what application you are running.
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

Forum Links
Forum Rules