Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > dvd to tv

dvd to tv
geronimomax
Feb 23, 2000, 09:52 AM

i would like to connect the dvd of my imac os9 to my tv. do i have to hook it to the tv
(which is on the other side of the room), or can i hook it to the stereo somehow (which
is really close and connected in the wall to the tv)? what kind of wires do i need?

Simon Lisney
Feb 23, 2000, 12:07 PM

That's an easy on!

The new i.TView DV from FOCUS is exactly what you want.

I have one (imported especially into the UK) and at $135 it works great.

Works on widescreen etc. Needs some setting up but control panel loaded straight away and once adjutsed it is great.

Check it out at
http://www.focusinfo.com/products/b_tview.htm

Regards

Si

mcwinter
Feb 23, 2000, 03:32 PM

I was considering the iTView option through Apple, but as the owner of an old analog camcorder, I was also looking into ways to digitize my old movies. The Sony Media Convertor (now listed as unavailable on the Apple site) looked like the perfect solution.

In short, the converter is a Firewire to analog video converter which works in both direction. For more information you could check out <http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer/ss5/home/digitalvideo/minidvcamcordersproducts/dvmc-da1_specs.shtml>

The only question holding me back is wether or not I can actually play a DVD through the converter. Are there any solutions that provide for this?

-Mike

zforth
Feb 23, 2000, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by mcwinter:
I was considering the iTView option through Apple, but as the owner of an old analog camcorder, I was also looking into ways to digitize my old movies. The Sony Media Convertor (now listed as unavailable on the Apple site) looked like the perfect solution.

In short, the converter is a Firewire to analog video converter which works in both direction. For more information you could check out <http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer/ss5/home/digitalvideo/minidvcamcordersproducts/dvmc-da1_specs.shtml>

The only question holding me back is wether or not I can actually play a DVD through the converter. Are there any solutions that provide for this?

-Mike
I have the Sony converter you describe, and it works great, but there is no way currently, to get DVD video out of an iMacDV, through the FiewWire port. You would have to would have to connect some kind of adapter to the external monitor port and feed that to your television.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2000, 03:02 PM

I would caution the use of the TView with a screen larger than, say, 20". It starts to get pretty blurry. Since VGA is cross-platform, I believe any scan convertor will work, it doesn't have to be mac compatable. Most have the adjustment controls on the device itself.

Forum Links
Forum Rules