Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Sound control panel -- options unavailable

Sound control panel -- options unavailable
floogee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2000, 08:43 PM

I've just discovered that I am unable to access any of my sound input options. The normal pop-up box is greyed out.

I am running OS9 on my 8500/180. I have DSL and use my RCA audio out's to send shoutcast audio to my stereo.

When I put an audio CD in it appears on my desktop as usual but I can't play it. Same for any other option (PlainTalk microphone, etc.)

I deleted the Sound control panel, Sound manager extension and Sound preference file....even the sound input Control Strip module and replaced them from my startup copy of OS9 that I keep on a Jaz just in case.

Any thoughts on why this is happening?

Mike

representa
Feb 25, 2000, 09:08 PM

i had a similar problem on my iMac. i installed Mac OS 9 on it and decided to try out the voice password. It worked well for a while (for a built-in mic that is) but then one time I booted up, tried to log in and said it couldn't find the mic, and made me type in my password. I did the same as you, i even ran conflict catcher and it told me sound manager was the problem. anyway, eventually i did a clean install. To save time though, do a bare install. All you need to do is replace the system file. that fixed my problem and i think it'll fix yours, floogee.

-representa

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2000, 02:56 PM

Before you do all of that, turn off speakable items. I have discovered that you cannot change your input source if something is using it. If no other apps are running, then I am assuming that speakable items are enabled.

floogee  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2000, 04:16 PM

Thanks representa. You had the right solution.

I never had speakable items on so that was never an issue.

Replacing the System file worked (thank God I keep a backup System on a Jaz disk).

Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules