Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Umbrellas

View Poll Results: Umbrellas
Poll Options:
Necessity 14 votes (63.64%)
Useless 8 votes (36.36%)
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll
Umbrellas (Page 2)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 31, 2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Dakar, am I correct to assume you have a raincoat?
No, I have a car.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2011, 04:01 PM

I have a pretty nice coat (sort of up-market trench coat), but you need a hat with a coat to keep dry. I also have a hat (Indiana Jones like) but it can't put up with too much rain before needing reshaping. A large umbrella negates the need to have a coat and hat. And like Face Ache says you can do the chivalrous stuff.

Tiresias
Oct 31, 2011, 10:38 PM

Well, what is a car but a motorized umbrella with walls, seats and a radio?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2011, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
On the flip side - and to make this thread useful - can anyone recommend a great umbrella for windy areas? Where I live, rain generally comes down on an angle - it's almost always windy to some degree. Regular umbrellas tend to fold like a twig.
Never did get any suggestions, really - can anyone recommend a good umbrella? Cost is no object, and by that I mean cost is certain an object - I'm not spending more than $100 unless it is guaranteed to last for years, and gives blowjobs.
While keeping me dry.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

hart
Senior User
Nov 14, 2011, 09:04 AM

Umbrellas are a city thing. Especially a walking city thing, meaning cities where people generally walk instead of hopping in their cars. NYC is a walking city so people use umbrellas here.

When I go to Virginia, on the other hand, I rarely use my umbrella unless its absolutely pouring down rain when I have to run from the car to the door.

Current umbrella: $4 Ikea model in garish Ikea blue and yellow.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 14, 2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Well, what is a car but a motorized umbrella with walls, seats and a radio?
Not really, but I think you get my point wihtut understanding it.

Originally Posted by hart View Post
Umbrellas are a city thing.
I think that's the gist of the thread. Now if only someone could tell the delicate flowers who live around me.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by hart View Post
Umbrellas are a city thing.
Ummm, not really. I have an umbrella, and I live in the countryside. It's very handy when you've got to go feed the animals and it's pouring down.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2011, 01:22 PM

Never did get any suggestions, really - can anyone recommend a good umbrella? Cost is no object, and by that I mean cost is certain an object - I'm not spending more than $100 unless it is guaranteed to last for years, and gives blowjobs.
While keeping me dry.
Just to check, have you already had bad luck using umbrellas with top vents?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2011, 02:31 PM

The only one I had with vents didn't last very long, but it was also the cheapest one I've owned (~$20). A better vented model is definitely what I had in mind.

andi*pandi
Nov 14, 2011, 03:27 PM

The only umbrella I've had that has withstood wind has been a large sturdy wooden one. It does not fit in a messenger/handbag however so it mostly sits in the car.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2011, 03:37 PM

The only one I had with vents didn't last very long, but it was also the cheapest one I've owned (~$20). A better vented model is definitely what I had in mind.
I was going to suggest a WindPro, which is what I have, but a quick scan of reviews indicates the quality has slid over the last decade. Mine is great, but I got it in like, 2003.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2011, 07:17 AM

Well, the two I've seen recommended are ShedPro and Gustbuster. Except, I started Googling and it seems both are not readily available in Canada. In fact, ShedPro specifically will not ship outside the USA...WTF? How can you be shipping within-US only in this day and age? Don't they know we pay for shipping? I'm so confused.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2011, 07:24 AM

Well, the two I've seen recommended are ShedPro and Gustbuster. Except, I started Googling and it seems both are not readily available in Canada. In fact, ShedPro specifically will not ship outside the USA...WTF? How can you be shipping within-US only in this day and age? Don't they know we pay for shipping? I'm so confused.
At a guess, it's because the cost of shipping has become ridiculously high so for some companies it's not worth it to be involved with any exporting. How many people are going to import an umbrella, exactly? Whole bunch of new paperwork and regulations for a business owner to get his head around just for one export sale?

Think of the carbons! Why not just walk down to your local shop and buy a local umbrella?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2011, 08:21 AM

As the rest of this thread indicates, I've done that several times, and none have survived. The thing about the internet is that you can go and find the best products, rather than buying the shitty ones available locally. Plus, as also indicated above, generally shipping is paid by the buyer.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2011, 08:25 AM

Its fast becoming clear there is some kind of embargo against Canada going on.

I wonder why.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2011, 08:47 AM

As the rest of this thread indicates, I've done that several times, and none have survived. The thing about the internet is that you can go and find the best products, rather than buying the shitty ones available locally. Plus, as also indicated above, generally shipping is paid by the buyer.
It doesn't matter who the shipping is paid by - if the company thinks it not worth it to go through the hassle of finding out all the import/export regulations and dealing with international enquires, then you're SOL.

Get used to it. Those of you pushing the environmental agenda are advancing the "local only" sales/purchases mentality. You should love it that someone is taking notice of you, so buy the local shitty ones and be happy that you're living according to your beliefs.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2011, 08:48 AM

Hahaha well the scotch just doesn't make any sense - no idea why a European store would ship only to US and not Canada.

Like Doofy said, maybe it's regulatory...? But it's nothing I'm aware of.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2011, 08:54 AM

Hahaha well the scotch just doesn't make any sense - no idea why a European store would ship only to US and not Canada.

Like Doofy said, maybe it's regulatory...? But it's nothing I'm aware of.
There's also all sorts of other considerations too. Maybe the company has a deal with a company in Canada for them to be the sole importer and that company isn't being very visible at the moment.

I'm having the same problem trying to get hold of rubber plectra for the bass at the moment. Only place to get them is the US, and they won't export unless I want to become an agent for them.

US business is weird. Everyone's so worried that everyone else will rip them off that it becomes nigh on impossible to get something from the US. Had the same problems buying guitars, boutique guitar electronics, candle moulds, automated cat litter trays.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
It doesn't matter who the shipping is paid by - if the company thinks it not worth it to go through the hassle of finding out all the import/export regulations and dealing with international enquires, then you're SOL.
Yeah, I suppose. But I didn't think it was quite such a big deal for a store in the US to be shipping products up to Canada. I could be wrong, but considering the enormous number of companies that do it (I've recently bought tie/belt racks, a shower hoop, &etc. from seemingly smallish companies in the States that had no problems shipping up here) I wouldn't've thought it much of a problem.

I wonder if anyone around here has had experience with this?
Get used to it. Those of you pushing the environmental agenda are advancing the "local only" sales/purchases mentality. You should love it that someone is taking notice of you, so buy the local shitty ones and be happy that you're living according to your beliefs.
I think you've missed the point. The "agenda" being advocated is for local products. I'm not quite sure "buying local" is supposed to mean "buying from a local store that shipped their umbrella inventory from China."

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2011, 12:05 PM

Yeah, I suppose. But I didn't think it was quite such a big deal for a store in the US to be shipping products up to Canada. I could be wrong, but considering the enormous number of companies that do it (I've recently bought tie/belt racks, a shower hoop, &etc. from seemingly smallish companies in the States that had no problems shipping up here) I wouldn't've thought it much of a problem.
Maybe they just can't be arsed? Or hate Canadians? <shrug>

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2011, 01:35 PM

ShedPro makes the WindPro, so it might not be worth tracking one down.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2011, 02:25 PM

Oh no? The WindPro seems to get mentioned in any "best umbrella for wind" category I can find....

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2011, 02:58 PM

Well, as I said, my 8-year-old model is awesome, but recent reviews on Amazon say POS.

Several reviews by people who said they replaced their 10-year-old model and were shocked to find the new one fell apart in a month.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2011, 03:57 PM

Hmmm, the Windpro vented auto stick page on amazon only has one review, which is positive.

Although it also has this:
Originally Posted by Amazon page
Active discussions in related forums

Fashion forum
Is it ok for men to wear Pantyhose

Nivag
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
What I'm really interested in is Umbrella Theory. The shorter the carrier, the wider the umbrella. What's the deal with that? Bloody eye-poking mushrooms.
Small people should be banned from owning one, they are a damn nuisance

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 16, 2011, 02:18 AM

Am I glad I live in the desert and don't need one. I was in Philly this summer and had to use a borrowed one, and was constantly fighting wind, avoiding people, other 'brellas, all the while keeping track of the people I was with. Which kind of confirms hart's saying that they are a city thing. I don't live in a walkable city, so from car to wherever is brief. On the other hand, when it rains its super intense and short, so one waits 5-10 minutes.

Re Umbrella Theory, if short.p= wide.u and tall.p=pointy.u it might suggest that some people like to express themselves in ways that mirror them, the short wanting to enlarge their spherical nature, the tall their arrow shape. /2c
( Last edited by jmiddel; Nov 16, 2011 at 02:34 AM. )

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2011, 06:22 AM

Maybe the problem is that the short people need umbrellas with long handles, but the umbrellas with long handles tend to make use of the entire length of the handle in determining the radius of the umbrella. What is needed is a small/standard radius umbrella with a longer handle.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules