Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Upgrade?

Upgrade?
jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2002, 11:28 AM

Ok, here's the deal. I've been very happy with my 500mhz DVD icebook. However, I look in the paper today and CompUSA is having a pretty big sale. Basically they'll let me trade in my current laptop and give me $600 for it. That would bring the price of the 700mhz combo down to $899. I've never considered upgrading before, but now I may think it's worth it. Anyone think I shouldn't do this? Or is this just too good to pass up?

Of course I'll remove the airport card and memory from my current book, so I can just put them back in the new one.

Footy
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2002, 12:13 PM

For me it would be a bit of a rip off. My wife has a iBook 366 I would love to upgrade but only $300 dollars off for the trade in is a bit low.

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2002, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by Footy:
For me it would be a bit of a rip off. My wife has a iBook 366 I would love to upgrade but only $300 dollars off for the trade in is a bit low.
Yeah, I would get the 700 combo (12.1 of course) for $899. I think it's too good of a deal.

gator
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2002, 12:44 PM

My guess is you could probably sell that iBook on eBay for more than $600, if you're willing to do it that way. Then take whatever money you get out of the auction and buy an iBook from wherever offers the best deal (I'd say Amazon, they're running crazy promotions on the iBook right now until the 25th). Just a thought.

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2002, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by gator:
My guess is you could probably sell that iBook on eBay for more than $600, if you're willing to do it that way. Then take whatever money you get out of the auction and buy an iBook from wherever offers the best deal (I'd say Amazon, they're running crazy promotions on the iBook right now until the 25th). Just a thought.
I've thought of that as well. However, I think this may be a bit easier than finding someone online to buy it. I've looked at ebay, and most iBooks are not getting sold. I just think this may be better than going through the hassle of selling to someone, shipping it, and then having to buy another one. This way I can do everything at once...

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2002, 06:44 PM

Well I went ahead and did it. Just a warning, though, they were only supposed to do it for PowerBooks. But since I was the first one and they didn't know, they went ahead and gave it to me. If you want to take advantage of this as well, be sure to do it soon...

losta
Aug 13, 2002, 11:14 AM

How do you compare the performance of the 700 vs 500? I currently have a 500 dual USB and I like it alot. I got it really cheap open box so I would really only be out less than $100 than if I bought the 700 to begin with. Is it 40% faster? How about the battery life?

I was looking at the CompUSA deal, though I will be able to get discounted Apple products soon so I'm not in too big a hurry.
Thanks in advance.

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2002, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by losta:
How do you compare the performance of the 700 vs 500? I currently have a 500 dual USB and I like it alot. I got it really cheap open box so I would really only be out less than $100 than if I bought the 700 to begin with. Is it 40% faster? How about the battery life?

I was looking at the CompUSA deal, though I will be able to get discounted Apple products soon so I'm not in too big a hurry.
It really is a huge jump. I think the 100 mhz bus makes the biggest difference. I always thought it was the fault of the G3 processor, but this thing flies in X.

Forum Links
Forum Rules