Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Brasso Polishes off Scratches on iPod LCD Screen

Brasso Polishes off Scratches on iPod LCD Screen
PeterKG
Senior User
Aug 23, 2003, 01:01 PM

I had recenlty scratched my iPod LCD and this morning was reading the HowardForums.com and someone mentioned that Brasso works in removing scratches from cellular phone LCD's. I decided to try it with my iPod. I took a soft diaper and poored a small amount of Brasso on the LCD. Then I turned on a timer for three minutes, and spent that time rubbing the Brasso over the LCD in a circular motion. After the timer went off, I cleaned off the excess Brasso and it had polished out all the scratches! My LCD looks brand new again. It really works, so if you have scratched your screen, buy some Brasso and polish them out. It also actually polished the entire case and brought it back to pristine new condition.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2003, 01:08 PM

Brasso is great stuff. Mirror Glaze works well too.

Chris

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2003, 04:57 PM

Great tip!

Where can you buy Brasso?

PeterKG  (op)
Senior User
Aug 23, 2003, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by G-mac:
Great tip!

Where can you buy Brasso?
Any grocery store or hardware store, located in same section as silver, copper polishes.

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Aug 23, 2003, 10:48 PM

This was discussed in this very forum over a year ago. In addition to Brasso, plastic polishes were also recommended. Someone also brought up toothpaste. For now, I'll keep my Crest away from my iPod.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2003, 01:28 AM

You mean Brasso the metal polish? Tried that last year when someone posted a topic similar to this. Unfortunately, I didn't get any good results. I still have the can sitting in the garage and after reading this post, I figured I would give it another try. There is a large deep scratch running vertically down the left side of my iPod's screen. This scratch is accompanied by multiple smaller scratches that are not as deep. After following your instructions above, not one scratch was removed from my iPod using Brasso.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

PeterKG  (op)
Senior User
Aug 24, 2003, 01:55 AM

Originally posted by Stogieman:
You mean Brasso the metal polish? Tried that last year when someone posted a topic similar to this. Unfortunately, I didn't get any good results. I still have the can sitting in the garage and after reading this post, I figured I would give it another try. There is a large deep scratch running vertically down the left side of my iPod's screen. This scratch is accompanied by multiple smaller scratches that are not as deep. After following your instructions above, not one scratch was removed from my iPod using Brasso.
Dude,
It works. Maybe you need to give it more of a rub. Give it some pressure. Pour a drop the size of a nickel and place the soft cloth down on the drop and rub hard for three minutes. I swear, it took ALL the scratches off my iPod.

passmaster16
Senior User
Aug 24, 2003, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by PeterKG:
Dude,
It works. Maybe you need to give it more of a rub. Give it some pressure. Pour a drop the size of a nickel and place the soft cloth down on the drop and rub hard for three minutes. I swear, it took ALL the scratches off my iPod.
I'm sure it depends on the size of the scratches as well. Brasso does work well. In fact I use it on my watch crystal to take the scratches out. You have to be reasonable though. If you have a major gash in your ipod, no compound is going to remove it. Brasso should work on the small scratches though.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2003, 08:53 AM

You may need something more abrasive to remove real scraches. Brasso is just a polish. There's something called Never Dull, which is a wadding that is used for polishing. This may do a better job on deeper scratches.

Keep in mind that all of these products will only remove superficial scratches--like carring iPod in your pocket or purse without a case. Scatches resulting from falls or other hard shocks may not be removable.

Forum Links
Forum Rules