Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What new Powerbook is AssassyN going to buy?

What new Powerbook is AssassyN going to buy?
PeterKG
Senior User
Sep 16, 2003, 08:45 AM

Okay AssassyN,

What are your thoughts? Which would you or will you be tempted to buy?

I having been struggling with replacing my Cube as you might remember. I was thinking G5 1.8. But now I think I should sell my 12" Powerbook, Cube, 17" Apple LCD, and just own a 15" with Superdrive.

Come on and let everyone know what you will do. The Apple store opens at 10:00. I'm ready to go G5 or PB.

NYK Ace
Senior User
Sep 16, 2003, 08:51 AM

hahahahaa

ohh yeaa

gotta love the comedy in the AM

(ps i vote for the 15" Superdrive)

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2003, 08:58 AM

Haha, actually I won't be purchasing any new PowerBook as I sit here in a Psychology lecture typing this on my Uni.s WiFi network on my 12" PB 867Mhz.

I must admit though, the thought HAS ran through my head of eBaying this PB and getting either a new 12" or 15" PB, but I just don't have the utter need to, and here's the main reason: I use this PB 85% of the time on battery, thus it runs at 667Mhz in Power Saver mode...so will the new PB's, thus no real speed gain. The DVI-out on the 12" PB is enticing, but I've got my Apple displays tied up on my PowerMac, so I just decided the new features aren't worth the upgrade...however the NEXT upgrade cycle I'll probably be upgrading if it's major enough.

For those in the market for a PB today though, here's my advice:

If you want a 15", FIRST, look at the maxed out TiBook for only $1,999...that's an insane deal, and the 867 TiBook is only $1,599 in the refurb Special Deals section. The Combo 867 12" PB is only $1,199!

But if you're deadset on a NEW PowerBook, I think the 12" and 15" PBs have seen very nice upgrades. I personally still feel the 17" PB is too big if you plan to be mobile at all; for those who bring their PBs to their office & back only, the 17" size is perfect. But even still, I can't imagine myself right now typing on anything larger than this 12" PB, room is tight in college lecture halls!

If I were getting a new PB, I'd grab the 15" AlBook w/ ComboDrive, simply because I don't need the SuperDrive, however I would buy the 1.25Ghz processor model as it comes w/ AE built-in, backlit keyboard built-in, etc. I feel the greatest value in the NEW PB lineup is the 1.25Ghz 15" AlBook, w/ or w/o SuperDrive is your own personal choice. I'd also buy minimum RAM from Apple & upgrade to at least 1GIG via 3rd party RAM sources.

In your personal case, I'd say "GO FOR IT!" if you absolutely can deal with not having a desktop system, and instead, using your notebook as a desktop replacement...it's a big change, escp. if you don't use an external keyboard/mouse, which I'd highly recommend getting if you decide to go w/ the 15" AlBook by ditching your desktop. In all honesty though, your Cube should yeild a pretty penny on eBay, and be sure to sell the display seperately, and if you sell your 12" PB too, you'll probably have MORE than enough for a 15" AlBook, escp. if you can get an EDU Discount...use that extra cash to bump the RAM, get an external mouse/keyboard, and a nice case/sleeve to protect it. I absolutely love my current 12" PB, it's an amazing machine, and I know you'll love the 15" AlBook as well...let us know what you do!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Mithras
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2003, 09:28 AM

While you're at it, the old 17" at $2499 is not shabby at all:

Forum Links
Forum Rules