Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I Got My New 15" Powerbook! (Pictures)

I Got My New 15" Powerbook! (Pictures) (Page 3)
ATC Ken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2003, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by PeterKG:

I already sold my 12" Powerbook (at least she has indicated she will buy it). Now I will put my Cube and Display up on eBay. [/B]
Wow - very sweet powerbook there Peter. We're all WAY envious - maybe this will finally be the PB that has me getting rid of my sloooow, but trusty iBook.

And don't sell the Cube! Keep it as a classic - it'll be worth more as the years go on!

Ken

PeterKG  (op)
Senior User
Sep 20, 2003, 11:17 AM

Well just an udate. I delivered my 12" Powerbook to my friend who I sold it to. She paid $1500. for it, with AE, 640MB ram, and a Waterfield Sleeve Case. An hour after she brings it home she calls in a panic. When she was opening the Lid it was giving resistance. By the time she realized what was happening it was too late. A screw on the LCD bottom right corner had come out and caught on the rubber gasket around the keyboard side of the PB. I was in shock as I have been babying this PB. I went over and was able to get the lid open and tighten the screw but it already had caused damage to the gasket and also some scratches on the aluminum.

Can you beleive that? I felt I had sold her a car and a wheel fell off when she drove away. I had heard people on the boards talking about screws falling out but never worried about it. So much for a clean sale! Thank the Lord it's still under warranty.

My Cube is up to $500.00 on eBay, and my Display is up to $405.00 too. I think Cube demand is not what it was.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

atlcane
Sep 20, 2003, 02:23 PM

I saw that you were selling your Cube on Ebay. I recognized the picture from your .mac page.

Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2003, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by terrancew_hod:

Oh well, congrats...

I did start a Powerbook/G5 savings fund for myself...So I'm 45% of the way from owning a 15' powerbook. I should have the cash for the Powerbook when Panther comes out; although I'll probably wait until March so the account will be real nice so I don't drain it when I buy the machine...

Terrance
hehe.. a 15 foot powerbook?! sweet

I wonder where you'll find a bag for that

(just bugging you, ' means feet right, and " means inch? I am not entirely sure, I grew up on metric)

macwayne
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2003, 06:47 PM

I just walked into Compusa today and they had a display 15" that they just put up this morning. The Apple guy there said he was willing to sell that one to me, so now I'm the happy owner of a new 15" baby. I'm typing on it right now. One word.
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

PeterKG  (op)
Senior User
Sep 20, 2003, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by macwayne:
I just walked into Compusa today and they had a display 15" that they just put up this morning. The Apple guy there said he was willing to sell that one to me, so now I'm the happy owner of a new 15" baby. I'm typing on it right now. One word.
Congrats! Come on, tell us more. Which did you get and what do you think of it now that you have played with it a little while?
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2003, 09:56 PM

Sooo pretty; yet I don't need one.

/me cries.

macwayne
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2003, 12:10 AM

I got the 1ghz model stock with 256megs of ram. I upgraded from a 12" powerbook 867 with 640 of Ram and this smokes it just on speed alone! The ATI 9600 graphics card makes aqua window resizing much more fluid. It doesn't have that delay-drag effect that I experienced on the 12". I took the AE card out of the 12" and put it in this one and Safari even runs faster! IMHO, even though I haven't ran any benchmarks. When I saw it next to the 17" they had at the store, it was much closer in size to it and way bigger than the 12". As a matter of fact, the 12" to me looked cheap in comparison.This screen is big and not one dead pixel! Much easier on the eyes and very rich in color when I put it on sRGB profile in the display panel. The 17" seems too big but this one is easy to carry around. Can;'t wait to see how fast it will go when I upgrade the Ram, Where is a good place to get ram for this machine? I understand it uses different memory than the 12".Needless to say, I'm very happy!
I will get pictures up later as soon as I stop playing with it.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 21, 2003, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by macwayne:
The Apple guy there said he was willing to sell that one to me, so now I'm the happy owner of a new 15" baby. ...
So where are the pics, macwayne? Those of us who aren't so lucky want to share in your excitement visually.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

Talleyman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2003, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by TAZ:
Thanks.
Yup, ordered the stock model, not only for the quicker shipping, but also didnt see a need for any customization. I just cant wait to see that order status read "shipped"

Be aware that shipped doesn't mean they are actually in transit. Apple is now using Airborne Express (recently aquired by DHL/OR recently aquired DHL). I paid the $21 for quicker shipping, and supposedly mine shipped on the 18th. However, that's when they print the label and mine is in customs and I won't receive it until tues or wed. MAJOR BUMMER!

Can't wait...

tman
========================================
http://www.sledgetech.com

PowerMac G4 800/Powerbook G4 Aluminum, 1.25ghz

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it......Steven Wright

cing2x
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2003, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by Talleyman:
Be aware that shipped doesn't mean they are actually in transit. Apple is now using Airborne Express (recently aquired by DHL/OR recently aquired DHL). I paid the $21 for quicker shipping, and supposedly mine shipped on the 18th. However, that's when they print the label and mine is in customs and I won't receive it until tues or wed. MAJOR BUMMER!

Can't wait...

tman
yes, but Tues or Weds is 2/3 business days after they shipped on the 18th. I'd be a happy clam.

newto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2003, 04:17 PM

There are very good pictures of the new PowerBooks (all sizes, not only 15") on http://www.apple-zone.com or http://www.secretmac.com .... I particularly love the 12"....just my 2 cents...

osxisfun
Sep 21, 2003, 05:21 PM

2 questions peter

why didn't you go to the fashion(fascist?) island store instead of SC plaza?

sizzle gone?
You mean the annoying sizzle that came from under the k key when you scrolled (due to the internal video problem)

fan on?

are you in an air conditioned enviroment?

thanks

congrats

PeterKG  (op)
Senior User
Sep 21, 2003, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
2 questions peter

why didn't you go to the fashion(fascist?) island store instead of SC plaza?

sizzle gone?
You mean the annoying sizzle that came from under the k key when you scrolled (due to the internal video problem)

fan on?

are you in an air conditioned enviroment?

thanks

congrats
I like the South Coast store better. There are some cool guys working there. The parking is also easier. Fashion Island really bugs me as the people there seem so spoiled and into status. Its a yuppie enclave where the thing to do is show off (IMO).

No sizzle here ever on mine.

Fan barely ever on. Quiet when it is.

A/C is not on.

It's a GREAT notebook.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 21, 2003, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by newto:
There are very good pictures of the new PowerBooks (all sizes, not only 15") on http://www.apple-zone.com or http://www.secretmac.com .... I particularly love the 12"....just my 2 cents...
Thank you, newto. The more pictures I see, the happier I am. It looks like Secret Mac is just a French version of Apple Zone, or vice versa. They sport the same pictures, and the content seems to match as well.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

bamchum
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 05:05 AM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
Good thinkin'

Canon drivers are beautifull integrated w/ OS X
Gotta disagree with you there. I've got the LIDE 30 and:

1) Because it has no TWAIN driver, you cannot scan directly into Adobe Acrobat or OmniPage Pro.

2) None of the software follows Apple interface guidelines.

3) The installers are some of the worst programs I've ever seen: they take 100% of your processor and put stuff all over the place with no installer log. And the interface is nonstandard to boot.

TWAIN is becoming the standard for scanners. Say what you will about Epson scanners, but my Perfection 1250 at work supports TWAIN and can scan into almost any program.

That said, the LIDE scanners are nice and small and don't require a power supply.

bamchum
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 05:27 AM

Oh, and:

4) Though it has a colorsync profile, the installer does not register the scanner in ColorSync and there is, as far as I can tell, no way to do this manually.

But I'm off topic....

PLin
Sep 22, 2003, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by PeterKG:
Actually it's a Canon LiDE 50, that I just got on Saturday. AssassyN, you are correct, the software works so great compared to the Epson I had before. I also bought a Cannon i850 which also works great. I said goodbye to Epson.
Peter,
Does your LiDE 50 take advantage of USB 2.0 speeds when used with your PowerBook? I called Canon, and they were clueless. Even the engineers said, "they haven't received that information from Japan." Thanks.

Peter

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by 11011001:
hehe.. a 15 foot powerbook?! sweet

I wonder where you'll find a bag for that

(just bugging you, ' means feet right, and " means inch? I am not entirely sure, I grew up on metric)
But you knew what I'm talking about though...

Geez, you miss the shift key and all the world's a comedian...

Terrance

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2003, 11:12 PM

hey PeterKG,
Why didnt you go to the newport store since your right there?

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2003, 02:48 AM

PeterKG:
Hey is it pathetic of me to download the pictures you posted and stare at them? Since I don't have the $$ to get an AL 15", I thought I'd just save your pictures and imagine what it would be like to own one. Sad, I know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules