Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G5 Troubleshooting Assistant

iMac G5 Troubleshooting Assistant
PeterKG
Senior User
Oct 1, 2004, 07:49 PM

I'm not sure if many people have noticed but Apple is doing something different with the iMac G5. There is even the option for self repair. This is great that they have built it in a way to allow most users to replace parts.

iMac G5 Troubleshooting Assistant
How does this work?
The iMac G5 Troubleshooting Assistant covers the most common questions iMac owners ask us. We'll walk you through a series of time-tested instructions to help you resolve your issue.

What if I get stuck?
If you get stuck, click the button called "chat with a support agent." Agents are on-hand every day from 6am to 6pm (PST) to help you get back on track. You'll need an up-to-date browser to chat with our agents.

On the Mac, we support Safari 1.1 or later, Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.2 or later, and Netscape 7.2 or later. On Windows, we support Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or later.

What if my iMac needs to be repaired?
If our steps determine that your iMac G5 needs to be repaired, we'll send you a Do-It-Yourself repair kit, complete with any necessary parts and easy instructions. Installing parts is easy. Most parts can be installed in less than 30 minutes. No special tools are required.
http://www.apple.com/support/imac/
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

storer
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2004, 07:56 PM

I think it's a good idea to help people who know less about Macs (or computers in general) solve their problems. Bad news for support people though. Maybe it is also a way of finding out what problems people have and whether or not they can do anything to fix them in future.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2004, 09:59 PM

Great move Apple...

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2004, 06:34 AM

If you get to the point where the assistant decides you need a part it then lets you order one so that they can send it to you to fix yourself.

It looks to me that Apple has now invented DIY repairs, as most bits in the iMac G5 are user replaceable parts, it's probably cheaper for Apple to send you the part and let you fix it yourself, as long as you return the broken part of course.

Sound like a very cost effective method of getting repairs done!

Smart Move!
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

storer
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2004, 07:47 AM

That's what I have always loved about my mac... if there was a problem, i can fix it myself without having had years of experience. i still can't fix most windows problems without having to take the shitbox in.

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2004, 12:43 PM

Not only do you get to order parts and fix it yourself. you can also chat to support staff !!

Really great service.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Forum Links
Forum Rules