Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What are symptoms of a defective Logic Board?

What are symptoms of a defective Logic Board?
TheZee
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2005, 05:55 AM

I use an ivory white iBook. The model that Apple recalled the logic board on. I have had to have Apple change the logic board 2x before and I am wondering if there is going to be a third. Recently, my iBook has become much slower than it it usually is. My 640mb of RAM memory is being used up at an alarming rate and I can't figure out what is causing it. The reason I am concerned with the logic board is because the lower left corner region of my ibook has been getting extremely hot. Right where my left palm rests on the computer. I constantly have a fan blowing air on my Mac to keep it cool anyway, regardless of the weather conditions. However, even with the fan blowing now, that area bacomes extrememly hot. So hot that I have to lift my palm off the surface because it is makeing my hand so hot. I heard somewhere that that is the location where the logic board is located and that if there is a lot of heat there then it could be symptomatic of a defective logic board. Anyone have any experience with this type of scenario??? Peace out . . .
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7

pat++
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2005, 01:10 PM

The lower left hand corner is where the hard disk is. It's likely that you have a process using the hard disk a lot, and that's why it's getting hot. Nothing to do with the logic board. As far as memory usage is concerned, it might be a program that you are using which eats up all the memory...

TheZee  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2005, 01:55 AM

You may be right about that. I use an application launcher called DragThing. Recently I have noticed, through process viewer, that it is by far the largest user of RAM and CPU. WOuld this be like a memory leak in the app itself because it never used to be so draining. Thanks for the heads op on the logic board issue. Seeing as I have had two replaced by Apple I assumed that three times a charmer. Glad to hear that I am mistaken. Peace out . . .
TheZee

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2005, 04:10 AM

How full is is your HD? - it could be that there is not much free space left and the HD is having to work really hard to find spaces for caching stuff and vitual memory usage.

I like to have 1-2GB free on my HD for OSX - others may add their wisdom here as well......
( Last edited by Will C; Aug 1, 2005 at 05:54 PM. )

TheZee  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2005, 12:18 PM

I don't think it has anything to do with the HD space per say. My total HD space is labeled at 30Gb but it scans at 27.96Gb. Out of that I still have 12.23Gb available. Plenty of space for OSX and then some. However, you may be onto something. I have noticed that my iBook is now getting abnormally hot on the lower left hand corner where my left palm rests. Never used to get that hot. It gets so hot sometimes that I have to lift my palm off the surface. I use an external fan now to try and cool it down but without the fan, forget it. I wonder what could be causing the increase in temperature? I thought it may have something to do with the logic board malfunctioning but I guess not. Could it be that the HD may be on it's last legs? Peace out . . .
TheZee

pat++
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2005, 02:48 PM

If you are using a apps which has a memory leak, it will use a lot of memory and as a consequence access to the disk more often to use the swap on the disk. So the two issues might be related.

TheZee  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2005, 06:07 AM

I am not sure if my symptoms are being caused by an application with a memory leak but I do get the feeling that one application I use is using way more memory than it should which led me to think that it may have a memory leak. I use "DragThing" application launcher and lately it is by far and away the largest hog of memory of all my applications including the finder. I dig the application but it is creating an abnormal drain on RAM and so I find myself debating whether or not to keep using it. Any ideas ??? Peace out . . .
TheZee

Forum Links
Forum Rules