Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS9 Eating Up Memory???

OS9 Eating Up Memory???
NigelLuv
Feb 22, 2000, 06:49 PM

My OS 9 takes up usually around 30 megs of RAM... is this a normal amount because it seems extreamly high to me. Could anyone tell me their highest and lowest OS memory usage? Thanks ~~Nigel

slider
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2000, 07:17 PM

Yeah, that sounds about right. Currently running at 27.8MB.

dlindsay17
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2000, 08:47 PM

That's nothing! My mac starts with 30, then gobbles up another 30 without asking :-)
Good thing this is loaded with 256mb of ram

slider
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2000, 01:26 PM

dlindsay17, you have your VM turned off right?

Nigel 1080
Feb 23, 2000, 01:55 PM

Oh yeah.... why does the system mempry take up so much more RAM when you have virtual memory off? It dosnt make sence to me... Thanks again! ~~Nigel

slider
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2000, 12:17 PM

I can give you the laymans reason. When VM is turned on the computer uses your HD for additional memory. So it emulates ram. I am sure someone else can give you the exacts.

Michael Mielko
Feb 24, 2000, 11:09 PM

I have a Yike's G4, and I am burning 30-35 megs or ram just foe OS9.... boy this thing is greedy... just added another 64 megs of ram from Micro Center.... 89.99 for 64 megs ... then MacMall reports 128megs for under 100... live by the sword, die by the sword....

mike...

Kaglan
Feb 25, 2000, 12:57 PM

What are you guys running? 23 MB should be it. (OS 9.0 on imac 333) I suppose if you aren't using virtual memory it could get that big. And yes, 23 MB is still quite large, but runnable.

1. Use virtual memory. Yes there is a slowdown if you try to open lots of stuff, but not nearly as much of a slowdown as was on previous OS versions. Set it to the minimum, usually one meg more than what you already have. (64 MB ram --> 65 MB virtual ram)

2. Whip out the extensions manager and ditch everything you don't use. Do you do websharing? no? then trash it.

3. Are you filesharing? that will drive up memory requirements.

email me at [email protected] if you want.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2000, 01:11 PM

lots of apps hate VM... a few must have it...

as has been said by a few folks posting to this forum, if you can do what you need to without VM, don't use it. and vice versa.

it is always better to get as much RAM as you can get your hands on (128M is realistically a good_starting_point for a new Mac), your Mac and MacOS will love you for it.

NigelLuv
Feb 25, 2000, 09:11 PM

Working with the extentions manager worked quite well... I was able to kick 6 megs off that forst number. Im in my iBook right now with 96 megs but I am soon planning to upgrade greater to 160... then I think I'll flip the VM's switch to off. Thanks for the help! ~~Nigel

NDBounce
Senior User
Feb 25, 2000, 10:44 PM

I never look myself, but my iBook is using 51.5MB to run the MacOS...not cool!

Anyone know how much memory OS X will take?

Michael Mielko
Feb 26, 2000, 01:23 PM

OS X will take, ummm I heard, like a half a terabyte.... ;}

andrewlowe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2000, 06:43 PM

If you a big Disk cache in the memory control panel, that could be driving up your memory usage.

Lil Helper
Feb 27, 2000, 05:50 PM

When I first received my G4-350 it was feasting on 63MB of RAM for OS9. I went throught the extesion manager and at this moment I have 11 applications open and OS9 is at a trim 30.9MB. I hated OS9 at first but now I got all my updates and it's running mean and lean. I just wish Connectix would release Speed Doubler 9.0!!!!! Cool little program that kind of sharpens up the speed.

Dragonlance
Feb 27, 2000, 09:53 PM

just installed OS9, Real RAM=128, set VM to 256, and the sytstem is now runnin at 43MB !!!!!!! Help !!!!!!

------------------
Mac Rules !!! seeya

Dragonlance
Feb 27, 2000, 10:00 PM

just turned VM off and OS alone is taking up 40MB. and suggestions ?

iNigel
Feb 28, 2000, 06:28 PM

This has been a long term issue with my iBook. I bumped the total RAM up to 96 megs and with VM off OS9 takes up to much RAM. Mu suggestion to everyone is to turn VM on... but just one megabyte. (ie my 96 bumped to 97). This brought the OS9 RAM take up way down and Its at around 30 megs with out taking away too many extensions. Hope this helps!! ~~Nigel

imacman11
Feb 29, 2000, 02:58 AM

One thing I have noticed is that the Finder takes more RAM if you have more RAM. It takes significantly less if you have an iBook with 32 megs as opposed to my iMac with 256 megs that takes, on average, 50 megs (which is irritating, I know). The reason (or at least part of it) is the memory control panel...the default setting for your cache is something like xx amount of k for every Megabyte of RAM you have. The more RAM, the higher the cache setting. Try it yourself...you will become irritated quickly as you see your memory dissapear...

------------------
Thou shalt go forth and spread the iWord.

Forum Links
Forum Rules