Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mac OS 9 and HP Deskjet 697c

Mac OS 9 and HP Deskjet 697c
Millis13
Feb 23, 2000, 04:21 PM

I downloaded OS 9 on my iMac and found out (too late) that my HP Deskjet 697c is not compatible. Apple says, "This is a known problem (print dialogue box will not appear) so download the printer patch for OS 9 from the HP website."
HP says, "We have not yet developed an updated driver for that specific printer (Deskjet 697c) and we don't know when (or if) we will."
Long story short, I don't have a printer now thanks to OS 9 and I want to know if there is an easier fix to my problem than a. clean installing my old OS 8.5 from the CD, or b. buying a new printer. Both options stink. Does anyone who has discovered this problem have a clever (or cheap) solution?

slider
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2000, 08:05 PM

The best solution that I came up with was to purchase PowerPrint USB to Parallel v5.0. It's $99 minus a thrity dollar rebate that is currently being offered by InfoWave, the software writers. Outpost.com has free shipping which would bring your final cost down to $69. I know that this may be more than you were hoping to spend, or you could wait for HP. I had this problem with my DeskDet 694C and the software fix works great. If you have a probelm with the install, like the printer prints out garbage, zap the PRAM in addition to the trouble shooting guide.

jdck9
Feb 26, 2000, 04:25 AM

I bought OS9 when it first came out...tried using it with with my HP DeskJet 672C. Of course it didn't work....HP said a update would be out shortly, now they are saying there may never be a update....I see what HP is doing...buy me, then abandon me....hey why don't you buy a new product and give us more money....Thanks HP...think who I will buy my next printer from

jdck9
Feb 26, 2000, 04:32 AM

Ok, now my rant is over.....would it be worth me to buy PowerPrint and use my current HP 672 printer,and upgrade to OS9, or use OS8.6, eat the cost of OS9, and wait for OSX, and then upgrade? OS 8.6 is running well on my original Bondi blue iMac with 96 megabytes of Ram.

slider
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2000, 10:39 PM

jdck9, it depends on what you want to do. I just recommended to my sister that she NOT up grade to OS 9, to wait for OS X. I am still playing with the new features of OS 9, which ironically was a gift from my sister. I also like the simplicity of iTools with OS 9. It looks like if you don't use it your out $100 and if you do you'll need to buy a new printer or PowerPrint which of course is more $$$$$. I don't think that OS 9 was that great of a deal. The same questions get asked on this all the time; do you have multiple users, how much do you use Sherlock, etc. If your happy with 8.6 I would say stay with it and save the money for OS X. I don't even know if PowerPrint is suppose to be compatiable with OS X, I hope so. You will need to buy a new printer with OS X so you'll need to weigh your options to suit you. Great help, huh. With me, I just need to fiddle with everything.

slider

slider
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2000, 10:41 PM

jdck9, it depends on what you want to do. I just recommended to my sister that she NOT up grade to OS 9, to wait for OS X. I am still playing with the new features of OS 9, which ironically was a gift from my sister. I also like the simplicity of iTools with OS 9. It looks like if you don't use it your out $100 and if you do you'll need to buy a new printer or PowerPrint which of course is more $$$$$. I don't think that OS 9 was that great of a deal. The same questions get asked on this all the time; do you have multiple users, how much do you use Sherlock, etc. If your happy with 8.6 I would say stay with it and save the money for OS X. I don't even know if PowerPrint is suppose to be compatiable with OS X, I hope so. You will need to buy a new printer with OS X so you'll need to weigh your options to suit you. Great help, huh. With me, I just need to fiddle with everything.

slider

Forum Links
Forum Rules