Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 7.5/7.6 confusion

OS 7.5/7.6 confusion
sjaptec
Mar 3, 2000, 12:08 PM

Am trying to get up to speed concerning Mac
OS options for 68k systems by reading Ted Landau's: Sad Macs,... 3rd ed. 1997

Am totally confused after reading Take Note
(p546-7) System 7.5/7.6 confusion: updates, revisions...

Has the dust finally settled for 68k Macs concerning the best OS 7x version?

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2000, 12:27 PM

On systems of that vintage, I use OS 7.6.1. You can use whatever you like, including OS 9, but I find most of those older Macs have much less RAM/Hard Drive space and 7.6.1 is nice and lean (by today's standards). However, if you need to have the ability to ready HFS+ formatted disks from external sources, you will need OS 8 or later.

Scott

bluefire 529
Mar 3, 2000, 04:33 PM

Actually, the latest OS that still supports 68k Macs is 8.1...OS8.5 and later are PPC ONLY. I have found 8.1 to be very stable with my Performa 476. It requires a LOT more RAM than 7.5.x, but if you need the latest and greatest, 8.1 is as far as you can go. I have also never been very happy with 7.6.x...it seems very buggy. Maybe it is just me, but it is something I try to avoid usig.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2000, 05:13 PM

yeah i put 8.1 on my friend's Quadra, too... ditto your experience, bluefire 529

DewD
Mar 5, 2000, 12:03 PM

System 7.6.1 is a vast improvement over any version of 7.5 , but most of the improvements are behind the scenes. IT is far more stable and loads faster on startup, and is more versatile. Go there. Don't hang at OS 7.6...upgrade immediately to 7.6.1 which cleaned up quite a few loose ends. The only problems I had were that Open Transport had a lot of memory leak, and I had to leave Virtual Memory off most of the time. There are lots of OS 7.6 system CD's for sale on eBay for very little money these days. The upgrade is free.

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2000, 05:22 PM

My mistake on saying he could use >8.1.
DewD is correct, if you install 7.6 and apply the 7.6.1 updater (immediately) it's rock-solid! I just did a 540c last night (was 7.1) and it's owner just called to say how great it was.

Here's the matrix, for all interested: (I use it weekly and I STILL got it wrong!)
http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n25114

Scott

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2000, 09:04 AM

Just avoid using OS 8.0 at all cost. If 8.1 is not at hand, go for 7.6.1.

7.6.1 is the system of choice for me for pre-G3 Macs (try not to stop at 7.6, make sure you have the upgrade to proceed to 7.6.1).

Walter.

PowerUser
Mar 6, 2000, 01:37 PM

I am a huge fan of 7.6.1 and recommend/install it as an upgrade on any machine within my sphere of influence on pre-G3 machines.

I have since upgraded my home machine (7500/200mhz+400mhz G3) to 8.5.1+8.6 in order to make use of HFS+ formatting of my several 4 gig+ hard drives.

I find 8.0 and 8.1 to be quite sluggish on pre-G3's and not very responsive on G3's for that matter.

I found that 8.5+ put my 7500/G3 back up to acceptable speed.

Now if I can catch the guy who stole my cd player and cds (which had my 7.6 installer in it...)

I'm glad to see a posting regarding 7.6 available on ebay! That's my next stop on the net today...

Later,
Jon

------------------
Jon Mattison
Mattison Graphic Services

Forum Links
Forum Rules