Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Powerbook 165c modem problem

Powerbook 165c modem problem
Mar 4, 2000, 08:03 PM

I have a powerbook 165c and can't get the internal modem to work. It has system 7.5 intalled and I have the original 7.1 disks. AOL is the server. I have chosen the internal modem port but the aol software just searches for the speed and then gives me a "turn off and then on your modem,make sure it is connected etc" message. Any ideas? Thanks Doug

darius
Mar 6, 2000, 11:12 AM

Here's an idea...get a new mac and get a real isp.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2000, 01:07 PM

Have you tried using the port for anything else like faxing? I believe the modem may be gone.

I used AOL on a PB 165 without a problem some time ago, but I used an external modem, since the internal one was toast. Since the PB serial ports can't recognize speeds over 28.8 Kbps I believe, you can find a serial external modem pretty cheap.

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 6, 2000, 04:29 PM

I had the same problem with a similar computer a while back. I think it was a PB 180c, but that's besides the point. In order to get the internal modem to work, I needed an Apple software package called 'Apple Telecom Software'. Go to thier swupdates web page and look for it. It should work, if it's an Apple modem in your machine (which it probably is). And I say that my little PowerBook is one of the most useful little machines I have in my house right now, wouldn't you agree?
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

Forum Links
Forum Rules