Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > YAG5S (Yet another G5 Supercomputer)

YAG5S (Yet another G5 Supercomputer)
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 6, 2004, 01:30 AM

UCLA Plasma Physics to create 256 Xserve G5 cluster

The cluster's estimated cost is close to $1 million, which was largely funded by a grant to Mori from the National Science Foundation. Mori proposed the cluster in October 2003, at which point many platforms were evaluated. Xserves running Mac OS X Server proved to be the most cost-effective, straightforward and appropriate choice for the application, plasma physics research.

Officials with the "Dawson Project," as it is known, told Think Secret that the cluster is currently under construction and that the Xserves are arriving in groups. The team has been installing the Xserves for the last few weeks, and expects the cluster to be up in running in another couple of weeks as the remainder of the servers arrive.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2004, 07:26 AM

I hope Apple decides to break out Xserve sales #s from Powermacs in their quarterly statements. I'd really like to see the numbers. I'd imagine the growth curve there is going to be pretty steep for a while.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 6, 2004, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by chris v:
I hope Apple decides to break out Xserve sales #s from Powermacs in their quarterly statements. I'd really like to see the numbers. I'd imagine the growth curve there is going to be pretty steep for a while.

CV
Yeah, Xserve sales were rumoured to be low to mid-4-digit numbers in the G4 days. I wouldn't be surprised that if Xserve G5 supplies can be ramped up, next quarter might bring 5-10 times as many Xserve sales.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2004, 09:15 AM

I wonder how much $$$ Apple makes on each xServe. I know with those numbers, it should be a nice chunk of change.

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2004, 09:58 AM

It would be a nice chunk of change, but apple most likely gives small discounts for buying so many and getting their name out there. I seriously doubt that Virginia tech, the army, and now UCLA all paid full sticker on each xserve.

Still.. apple is making money
yep.

metfoo
Jul 7, 2004, 04:58 PM

apple still has some work to do with their servers. My biggest complaint is the lack of hardware raid (its a BTO option, but isnt available) and the desktops are faster than the servers. We need to have a G5+ or something that differentiates the CPU in the Xserve from the powermac line, kinda like Intel did with the Xeon.
See my mac mini at http://ribitch.com/mini/

Forum Links
Forum Rules