Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Got my first G5 today - 1.6 demo for $1,320

Got my first G5 today - 1.6 demo for $1,320
msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2004, 07:25 PM

Even though it's the low-end model, it is, to put it mildly, a rocket compared to my 500mhz Cube.

80GB hard drive, 256MB of RAM, Modem (like I'm going to use it), SuperDrive.

I added 1GB of RAM for $210 resulting in 1.2GB and an Airport Extreme card for $89.

I've only been playing with it for a few hours but so far I am very pleased.
I was going to buy the latest and greatest G5 but this will be fine for a couple of years. I attached my trusty old 15" Studio Display from the Cube, plugged in my SoundSticks and iSight.

And I was just going out to get a watch battery replaced.

Oh yeah, and I discovered it came with Panther 10.3.4 and iLife '04 already installed. No disks included but I already have them so no sweat there. And the salesguy told me it came with Jaguar 10.2.8. What a nice surprise that was!

davidflas
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2004, 08:23 PM

Congrats! I am on the cusp of buying a new G5 too! I'm looking to pick up a refurb dual 2.0 from Apple, I hope it has some bonuses like yours did. Where did you get your new Powermac?
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

msuper69  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2004, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by davidflas:
Congrats! I am on the cusp of buying a new G5 too! I'm looking to pick up a refurb dual 2.0 from Apple, I hope it has some bonuses like yours did. Where did you get your new Powermac?
Thanks!

I picked it up at the MicroCenter here in Columbus. They have a great Mac department and a good return policy, 30 days no questions asked, even on demo units. But this bad boy is staying put!

davidflas
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2004, 09:25 PM

Cool! That's a great deal too! I just have to wait for an auction to end on Ebay, and I'll have the money I need! I'm using an iBook G4 800Mhz right now, I'm betting the G5 will be mighty snappy in comparison!
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2004, 12:23 AM

I've considered getting a PowerMac G4; but if I can pick up a demo for $1,320 - I'm all for it. So much more for very little.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2004, 06:29 AM

What do you mean 'your first G5' ? Planning on getting a second one ?

Mine's still underway

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

msuper69  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2004, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by d.fine:
What do you mean 'your first G5' ? Planning on getting a second one ?

Mine's still underway
and a 3rd, 4th ...

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2004, 03:46 PM

Nice purchase, it seems like a few people have been getting some good deals lately. Definitely back up all the iLife and whatever, without the disks you're kind of screwed!

metfoo
Jul 7, 2004, 04:59 PM

congrats!

I have a single 1.6 with 1.25GB and 400GB of storage. Its a great machine.
See my mac mini at http://ribitch.com/mini/

msuper69  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2004, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by msuper69:
Even though it's the low-end model, it is, to put it mildly, a rocket compared to my 500mhz Cube.

80GB hard drive, 256MB of RAM, Modem (like I'm going to use it), SuperDrive.

I added 1GB of RAM for $210 resulting in 1.2GB and an Airport Extreme card for $89.

I've only been playing with it for a few hours but so far I am very pleased.
I was going to buy the latest and greatest G5 but this will be fine for a couple of years. I attached my trusty old 15" Studio Display from the Cube, plugged in my SoundSticks and iSight.

And I was just going out to get a watch battery replaced.

Oh yeah, and I discovered it came with Panther 10.3.4 and iLife '04 already installed. No disks included but I already have them so no sweat there. And the salesguy told me it came with Jaguar 10.2.8. What a nice surprise that was!
Update:

Returned the 1.6 and picked up a 1.8 for $754 with twice the RAM and twice the hard drive. It's a refurb but for that pittance I couldn't pass it up.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2004, 06:52 PM

Good man. Duals are so much faster than singles, it is worth the premium. Good luck with your new machine!

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2004, 07:40 PM

Sweet frickin' deal! Congrats.

fiesta cat
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2004, 08:59 PM

Refurbed 1.6s have been showing up quite often on the "save" part of store.apple.com, for $1299, with dual 1.8s for $1799. The shipping dates on the 1.6s is 1-2 days, the 1.8s - 30 or more days.

The 1.6 for $1299 is an incredibly good deal for most.

natan
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2004, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by msuper69:
Update:

Returned the 1.6 and picked up a 1.8 for $754 with twice the RAM and twice the hard drive. It's a refurb but for that pittance I couldn't pass it up.
Where did you find one that cheap?!

msuper69  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2004, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by natan:
Where did you find one that cheap?!
MicroCenter on Bethel Road here in Columbus, OH.

Yes, I nearly fell over when I saw it. I've been running it for almost a week now with only one problem. It will not wake up from deep sleep. All else is working fine so I'm not complaining.

bryce
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2004, 05:47 PM

How many demo units do they have for sale? Do you have to ask about them or are they just sitting there with a price tag on them? I live pretty close to that store.

msuper69  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2004, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by bryce:
How many demo units do they have for sale? Do you have to ask about them or are they just sitting there with a price tag on them? I live pretty close to that store.
They only had 1 each time I was there. They put them under the clearance table just inside the Mac department. I got lucky for once.

wowway1
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2004, 08:44 PM

I guess I'm not talking to the right people, but when I called there shortly after your post all they had was a returned 1.6 for just over 1400.00. When I asked if that was the final discount they said 'yep'. I'm just down the road from them, pitty.

Forum Links
Forum Rules