Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Can I shut off one processor?

Can I shut off one processor?
CAM
Nov 29, 2001, 07:05 PM

Greetings,

I'm using Mac OS 9 on a dual 500MHZ G4 with a LaCie 22 Blue monitor. To calibrate the monitor, I purchased a Monitor Spyder and OptiCAL software from ColorVision.

As is turns out, The software does not support dual processors during the calibration process! I am wondering if I can temporarily shut off one processor as a work around.

Does anyone have any experience with something like this or know how to disable one processor?

Many Thanks,
Christopher
All Is One Is All

Hanline
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2001, 07:14 PM

FWIW, I've calibrated several dual G4/450s with Optical and the monitor spyder with no problem whatsoever. didn't notice any difference between those duals and a single g4/400, g4/450 and a new G4/867 I've installed optical and monitor spyders on.

Chris

wingdo
Senior User
Nov 29, 2001, 10:27 PM

There is a difference between not supporting multi-processors and not running with multi-processors. I would imagine the product just does not take advantage of the second processor.

If for some reason the calibration software just plain won't run on a machine with two processors, try disabling the multiprocessor extensions.
MBP - 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, 160GB HD
PB - 1.5GHz G4, 2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80GB HD
PM - Dual 1GHzG4, 1.5GB RAM, NVidia GForce 3, 2x 80 GB HD

Euphrates
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2001, 11:15 PM

I agree with wingdo, I'm sure that the process with just take longer since it doesn't USE the 2nd processor. This is usually when they say "support." If they wanted to say that it didn't work, they would say "will not run on a dual processor machine."

CAM  (op)
Nov 30, 2001, 05:07 AM

Well, I was having trouble getting the Spyder to read the monitor density with the OptiCAL software (the values kept jumping and would not reach the target value even with the brightness set to 100%).

Anyway, I called ColorVision tech support and after trying several things over the phone the guy asked if it was a dual processor Mac. He said that the OptiCAL software had a problem with dual processors so they weren't supported and probably won't ever be!

He did say that for some reason it didn't always happen so you've been lucky Hanline!

I'll try disabling the multiprocessor extensions.... Thanks!
All Is One Is All

benh57
Senior User
Nov 30, 2001, 06:57 AM

Originally posted by CAM:
<STRONG>

I'll try disabling the multiprocessor extensions.... Thanks!</STRONG>

If that fails there is a way to disable the 2nd proc using Open Firmware. Search xlr8yourmac.com forums.

-B
Dual 800 - GF3 - 1.5GB

Hanline
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2001, 03:29 PM

::shrugs::

if you can't get your monitor to get bright enough... you need to turn down the targets. From reading the manual that came with optical, the targets are more to standardize a bunch of monitors, and you should set the targets to the highest number the dimmest monitor can do. then all of the monitors should be able to hit this target.

all of the machines ive set up optical on have been brand new out of the box with brand new $500+ monitors. I've never had to deal with not hitting the targets (and generally the brightness is at most 30-40%). but, it looks like your using a high end monitor anyways. so i dunno. good luck

chris

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: Hanline ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules