Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes purchase question (authorization)

iTunes purchase question (authorization)
PabloTX
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2004, 05:07 PM

What is the .aac file tied to (with regards to authorization). I've let me wife use my .mac/apple account ID to purchase iTunes for her Windows laptop, and when she checks for purchased music, the songs I've purchased (on my Powerbook under the same account) don't come up.

Is it tied to the hardware of the machine that makes the purchase?

So you authorize by machine rather than Apple ID?

zachs
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2004, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by PabloTX:
What is the .aac file tied to (with regards to authorization). I've let me wife use my .mac/apple account ID to purchase iTunes for her Windows laptop, and when she checks for purchased music, the songs I've purchased (on my Powerbook under the same account) don't come up.

Is it tied to the hardware of the machine that makes the purchase?

So you authorize by machine rather than Apple ID?
If you're talking about what I think you are...

The "Check For Purchased Music" only checks for music that has been bought, but not downloaded. (I.e., if you cancelled the download, it would resume the download when you checked.)

It's badly worded, I know. It should be changed. I've already sent feedback to Apple.

PabloTX  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2004, 05:34 PM

Oh...that is confusing.

So is it tied to the .mac account?

In other words, if both iTunes on my Powerbook and on my wife's laptop are tied to [email protected], could I copy the .aac file from one to the other and not use up an authorization? Or is it tied to the machine, and would count as one authorization?

Thanks.

Truepop
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2004, 01:59 AM

You are using one .mac account for two computers, so both are authorized.

What you are thinking (or so I think) is that you want to download the songs you bought and downloaded on your computer to your wife's wintel computer. this can't be done. you have to manual transfer the songs.

if you want her to check to see what songs you have downloaded so if you have the same taste in music, you don't buy the same song twice, click over to your iTMS. And in the top right corner there is Account and your username. Click on your [email protected] and enter your password when presented.

It will tell you how many computer are authorized and there is a button for purchase history. that will tell you what you have bought more or less.

as far as how it works. The iTMS generates a file based on your account name and computer serial or ethernet id or MAC address, can't remember the formula, and supposily makes a file to store the reference. it send it back to the server and takes a point off your computer list and everything is good. however, when you decide to upgrade or sell your computer or whatever, deauthorize your computer first. I made the mistake of eBaying a machine without first doing that. thankfully the guy was willing to deauthorize it after he installed iTunes and before he entered his info.

Since your wife has bought music with your account on her laptop, you have your computer and hers taken off your three max list. manually copying the songs from your computer to hers or hers to yours is not going to take another one off.

PabloTX  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2004, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by Truepop:
You are using one .mac account for two computers, so both are authorized.

What you are thinking (or so I think) is that you want to download the songs you bought and downloaded on your computer to your wife's wintel computer. this can't be done. you have to manual transfer the songs.

I'm aware that I must transfer the songs to and from the different machines.

if you want her to check to see what songs you have downloaded so if you have the same taste in music, you don't buy the same song twice, click over to your iTMS. And in the top right corner there is Account and your username. Click on your [email protected] and enter your password when presented.

It will tell you how many computer are authorized and there is a button for purchase history. that will tell you what you have bought more or less.
Right

as far as how it works. The iTMS generates a file based on your account name and computer serial or ethernet id or MAC address, can't remember the formula, and supposily makes a file to store the reference. it send it back to the server and takes a point off your computer list and everything is good. however, when you decide to upgrade or sell your computer or whatever, deauthorize your computer first. I made the mistake of eBaying a machine without first doing that. thankfully the guy was willing to deauthorize it after he installed iTunes and before he entered his info.

Since your wife has bought music with your account on her laptop, you have your computer and hers taken off your three max list. manually copying the songs from your computer to hers or hers to yours is not going to take another one off.
That's what I was looking for (The iTMS generates a file based on your account name and computer serial or ethernet id or MAC address, can't remember the formula, and supposily makes a file to store the reference.). Wasn't sure what data was used to determine whether the song was authorized on that machine or not (Apple ID or by hardware). Guess it's a combination of the two.

Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules