Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My 17" just left Shanghai! (shipping question)

My 17" just left Shanghai! (shipping question)
epimetheus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2004, 02:07 PM

My 17" has just shipped! I chose the 2-day shipping but the shipping notice says an estimated delivery date of June 7.

If the PB left the Shanghai, CN fedex ramp on June 3 9:23 PM (I'm assuming that has to be Shanghai time), shouldn't it arrive for a June 5 delivery (maybe they're pushing it to the 7th because they don't do Saturday deliveries)?

Anyone have experience/feedback on how long the deliveries take to arrive from China? If it arrives in Phoenix on Saturday but don't deliver, maybe I can head down to the FedEx office to pick it up...

Thanks!

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2004, 02:19 PM

Mine shipped on the May 24 from shanghai and got delivered to Mass on the 27. But remember, mine shipped on the 24 in shanghai but its a day ahead there. I chose standard shipping.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

j0nkatz
Jun 3, 2004, 03:54 PM

The 2 days only count from the time it reaches the Cont. US.

epimetheus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2004, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by j0nkatz:
The 2 days only count from the time it reaches the Cont. US.
Ugh, that's what I thought. Looks like it will be a Monday delivery.

sfederman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2004, 07:04 PM

Well, I'm crossing my fingers for Saturday. I'm in the same boat, waiting for my new 15''. Our PBs must be on the same flight since mine left Shanghai at 9:22PM. Strange with the time difference that FedEx's site doesn't take into account... It just left Alaska at 2:51PM, so it looks like it left there before it left Shanghai...

Jun 3, 2004

9:22 pm Left FedEx Ramp SHANGHAI CN
2:51 pm Left FedEx Sort Facility ANCHORAGE AK
2:00 pm Pickup status SHANGHAI CN Package received after FedEx cutoff time
2:00 pm Left FedEx Origin Location SHANGHAI CN

Alfonso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2004, 07:29 PM

mine got here a day earlier than the estimated shipping, and so did someone elses. so that could be a posssibility.

epimetheus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2004, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by sfederman:
Well, I'm crossing my fingers for Saturday. I'm in the same boat, waiting for my new 15''. Our PBs must be on the same flight since mine left Shanghai at 9:22PM. Strange with the time difference that FedEx's site doesn't take into account... It just left Alaska at 2:51PM, so it looks like it left there before it left Shanghai...

Jun 3, 2004

9:22 pm Left FedEx Ramp SHANGHAI CN
2:51 pm Left FedEx Sort Facility ANCHORAGE AK
2:00 pm Pickup status SHANGHAI CN Package received after FedEx cutoff time
2:00 pm Left FedEx Origin Location SHANGHAI CN
Hmm, mine says it *arrived* in Anchorage AK at 2:23PM. Hopefully mine left with yours at 2:51!

bkb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2004, 07:55 PM

You might be pleasantly surprised. There is a chance it will arrive tomorrow (Friday). When you wake up, track it. There is a chance it made it to Phoenix overnight and is on the FedEx van for delivery. It has happened to me on the East Coast a number of times.

As long as your PowerBook is not in the hands of Airbourne Express, you should be OK.

Good luck.
PBG4/12"/1GHz/1.25GB/60GB//SD/APX/10.3

epimetheus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2004, 02:41 AM

Originally posted by bkb:
You might be pleasantly surprised. There is a chance it will arrive tomorrow (Friday). When you wake up, track it. There is a chance it made it to Phoenix overnight and is on the FedEx van for delivery. It has happened to me on the East Coast a number of times.
Just checked now and it left Anchorage at 5:51PM, so who knows.

As long as your PowerBook is not in the hands of Airbourne Express, you should be OK.
Heh, I hear that. I've had lots of no-fun experiences with Airbourne.

epimetheus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2004, 06:08 AM

Good luck.
I'm now officially addicted to tracking my Powerbook. FedEx says it was released for delivery from Indianapolis, IN at 1:43AM.

Hope that means it will arrive today or tomorrow.

chrisx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2004, 07:54 AM

Mine left from Shanghai, too. And it left at 1:40AM from Indianapolis. Maybe our PowerBooks are traveling together? lol

epimetheus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2004, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by chrisx:
Mine left from Shanghai, too. And it left at 1:40AM from Indianapolis. Maybe our PowerBooks are traveling together? lol
Heh, I wonder what all those Powerbooks do together in that cargo hold?

Well, my PB arrived in town (Phoenix) at 7:50AM. Doesn't say if it's on the truck for delivery yet, but it's looking good for a delivery today.

chrisx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2004, 01:57 PM

Mine arrived a few minutes ago (in San Jose, California), so you should probably be getting yours today, too. Have fun.

epimetheus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2004, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by chrisx:
Mine arrived a few minutes ago (in San Jose, California), so you should probably be getting yours today, too. Have fun.
Great news! Which model did you order?

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2004, 05:51 PM

Mine was lost somewhere in Shanghai. I chose the new 20 day economy class Seaborne Express shipping package. A malevolent wave swiped it off the deck of the bamboo junket into the Shanghai river. Some old fishermen are now using it. They e-mailed me that it makes a great sushi cutting board. But there is some good news: I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance.

chrisx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2004, 08:41 PM

Unlike the original poster, I got the 15" PowerBook. I was debating between the 12" and 15", but later decided to get the bigger screen (and back-lit keyboard, too).

wk929
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2004, 12:40 AM

Just out of curiousity, when'd laptops start shipping out of China instead of Taiwan? Maybe I'm out of the loop here, but does this mean Apple laptops are made in China now?

NightEyes
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2004, 01:50 AM

I'm not sure about the iBooks, but the PowerBooks are now assembled in China. Perhaps this is due to all the troubles last year with the Rev. A 15" Al PB?
mb air, imac, iphone, touch, shuffle

dennisbolt
Jun 7, 2004, 09:04 PM

In regards to Alaska and China-you gotta remember that China is something like 20 hours ahead of Alaska-that is why it can leave Alaska "before" it left China.

I had Airborne Express and was impressed. It left the MacConnection facility in Ohio on a Wednesday noon and got to Calif Thursday morning-and I had payed for 4-day shipping!!!

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2004, 02:40 AM

Originally posted by dennisbolt:
I had Airborne Express and was impressed. It left the MacConnection facility in Ohio on a Wednesday noon and got to Calif Thursday morning-and I had payed for 4-day shipping!!!
You are easily the luckiest Airborne customer on the planet in that case. I have never had any of my Macs shipped by them, but I have read so many bad things about them.

GoCats
Jun 8, 2004, 11:45 AM

I'm surprised to hear all the bad things about Airborne Express. I haven't used them in the past few years, but way back when Outpost.com was a good place to buy from they always used Airborne, and my stuff ALWAYS showed up at the exact same time w/in 2 days of my order - regardless of what kind of shipping method I chose. AND they didn't just leave my packages and run, like FedEx. They actually waited until I answered the door!

Anwyay, a little off topic, but just thought I'd put in my 2 cents about Airborne.

dj forge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2004, 12:35 PM

how long does it usually take before the powerbooks ship? I ordered mine sunday night around 11 PST. when should I expect it to ship?

I keep checking my email and the store. It's turning to some sort of OCD, really.

epimetheus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2004, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by dj forge:
how long does it usually take before the powerbooks ship? I ordered mine sunday night around 11 PST. when should I expect it to ship?

I keep checking my email and the store. It's turning to some sort of OCD, really.

My 17" BTO (faster HD, 128MB VRAM) was ordered Memorial Day (a Monday) and shipped from Shanghai on Wednesday (Pacific time). Received on Friday.

dj forge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2004, 05:54 PM

I think mine would have shipped today but there was a problem processing my payment. So I had to call my bank and then the apple payment people and get it straightened out, and now the order is open again.

The payment rep said it could ship as early as Friday

dj forge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2004, 07:21 AM

seems like it's being delayed in IN

Regulatory Agency Clearance Delay

larryg1do
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2004, 08:22 AM

My powerbook is also delayed in Indy due to "Regulatory Agency clearance delay." Was hoping for a Friday delivery - but now it probably won't be till monday. I don't understand - is it some type of customs or what?

Dyeus
Jun 11, 2004, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by wk929:
Just out of curiousity, when'd laptops start shipping out of China instead of Taiwan? Maybe I'm out of the loop here, but does this mean Apple laptops are made in China now?
Taiwan became a province of China a few years ago (before it was a colonie of the British) so it might still be shipped out of the province of Taiwan in the country China

Dyeus
Jun 11, 2004, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by Dyeus:
Taiwan became a province of China a few years ago (before it was a colonie of the British) so it might still be shipped out of the province of Taiwan in the country China
Wow this is so wrong.... lol it is early here so please forgive me, I got mixed up with Hong Kong... though China sees Taiwan as a rebelious province it is not recognized by the international comunity as a provine of Chine but as an independant country

dj forge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2004, 08:50 AM

just checked mine again and it's actually on the truck for delivery.

larryg1do
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2004, 09:01 AM

Mine is still sitting in Indy. Is this all due to tightened security?

bkb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2004, 10:58 AM

Wow this is so wrong.... lol it is early here so please forgive me, I got mixed up with Hong Kong... though China sees Taiwan as a rebelious province it is not recognized by the international comunity as a provine of Chine but as an independant country
Not exactly. Historically the US has aligned itself with Taiwan. It has been dubbed the "unsinkable aircraft carrier". But economically, as China continues to grow and integrate itself with Taiwan, China's "one China" policy will kick in. It's going to be a hotspot for potential trouble. And if the US backed down in the region, that would be a sign of Appeasment.
PBG4/12"/1GHz/1.25GB/60GB//SD/APX/10.3

legionare
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2004, 02:28 PM

The TaiWan issue is not a LOL matter to any Chinese who cares about his/her own country's sovreignty. Simply put, the reverse of what you said is true today, as a simple google would have shown you: Most of the countries in the world recognize TaiWan (that's two characters in Chinese) as an inseparable part of China (Mainland China and TaiWan) through joint declarations or communiques with Mainland China. Among those countries is the USofA, who in practice has many interests in keeping TaiWan the "unsinkable aircraft carrier" away from Mainland China. First, as long as TaiWan remains separate from Mainland China, it could be turned into the fulcrum in the first island-chain of defense in containing China, effectively blockading off the entire Chinese coast line with naval/air forces based there. Second, TaiWan's pro-separatist politians have little choice but to continue playing the game (super-profitable to the US corporations) of purchasing weapons at hyper-inflated prices, in the hope that it's a sign of promise of direct US military intervention against Mainland China's reunification by force. The weapons purchases serve as bribes to the US politicians who are more or less all financed by traditional arms conglomorates, not to mention the island's politicians themselves get to skim some gravy off the deals. Third, the TaiWan issue can be and has been used as leverage for more Chinese concessions in bi-lateral dealings with Mainland China. The Chinese (ex-)premier Zhu Rongji termed his visit to the US a few years ago a "pacification tour" where his deligation signed deals purchasing tens of billions worth of US goods (Boeing jetliners and agricultural goods), partly for the empty US promise of not selling more weapons to TaiWan (since Mainland China let the US made its profit with those sales). It's an empty promise because the weapons sales have never stopped. So as long as the TaiWan issue exists and can be manipulated by the US as a cross-national dispute rather than China's internal affair, the US can continue to bleed both sides of TaiWan Strait, both financially (selling weapons to TaiWan, selling Boeing jets over AirBus and heavily-subsidized agricultural goods to Mainland China) and literally (have Chinese from both sides kill each other, one side armed with American-made weapons). If Mainland China succeeds in reunification by force, given its lesser ability to wage war compared to the US, it will inevitably set back China's economic progress from the past two decades. If Mainland China fails (with or without US military intervention), it's even better to the US, as it not only sets China back even further both economically and politically, but maybe TaiWan could be turned into another Guam or Japan, with direct US military bases at the center of China's coast line. But those certainly are not the most optimal scenarios. The best thing to the US is exactly the stalmate across the TaiWan strait since the end of WWII until today, for the ample reasons I've listed above. There're lots of debates among the people in TaiWan over the island's status. One school of thought I've seen is that the San Francisco Treaty frequently cited by TaiWan separatists was left intentionally vague by the US to make TaiWan's legitimacy/legality as a non-Chinese entity arguable.
( Last edited by legionare; Jun 11, 2004 at 02:37 PM. )

dj forge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2004, 03:07 PM

back on topic here

i'm posting from my new powerbook downstairs using wireless

Forum Links
Forum Rules