Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > "Civilization as we know it is coming to an end soon."

"Civilization as we know it is coming to an end soon." (Page 2)
aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2004, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
http://www.gasandoil.com/goc/features/fex43579.htm

The great oil party is coming to an end

10-08-04 Soaring oil prices have stirred a long-standing debate among experts about how much crude remains in the ground and how to manage the countdown to when the reserves run dry.
"We have all been enjoying the greatest party the world has ever seen: the great oil party," said Kjell Aleklett, president of the Association for the Study of Peak Oil, an informal network of scientists and oil experts which aims to make "the world aware that the party is over".
"Few of us have realized that it was a party, still less that it is now reaching its climax as the champagne corks pop on all sides," Aleklett said, making an analogy between oil and champagne. "After the climax comes the decline when we have to sober up and face the fact that the party is coming to an end," he said.
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

cold_reality
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2004, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by _?_:
So it was to secure oil for America?
No, I think it was for WMDs, then it was for freedom, now its "To spread Democracy to the Middle East."

The real reason...money, not for them, not for us or our troops. For a group of powerful and influential companies. Start a war and get rich, its the American way.

It sure as hell ain't for oil, I paid $2.10 last time I filled up the tank.

...completely against political racism!

cold_reality
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2004, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by Nicko:
Its official, aberdeenwriter is an

This is old news...

...completely against political racism!

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2004, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
I'm honored. *blush*

I had no idea that us libruls were being that diabolical. Which one am I, anyway? Saddam Or Osama?
Hey! You escaped bannination! May the mods be thanked!

I didn't really want you banned, but cripes, you axed for it!

I wonder what conclusions the community should draw from that...Hmmm...

DIABOLICAL

1. [adj] _extremely evil or cruel; expressive of cruelty or befitting hell; "something demonic in him--something that could be cruel"; "fires lit up a diabolic scene"; "diabolical sorcerers under the influence of devils"; "a fiendish despot"; "hellish torture"; "infernal instruments of war"; "satanic cruelty"; "unholy grimaces"
2. [adj] _showing the cunning or ingenuity or wickedness typical of a devil; "devilish schemes"; "the cold calculation and diabolic art of some statesmen"; "the diabolical expression on his face"; "a mephistophelian glint in his eye"

I wouldn't really call what Icruise did as diabolical, even though the two devils (Saddam & OBL) might have done the same thing.

Supporting another in opposing a common foe just makes sense. It's an understandable human reaction, just like going to the bathroom. We all do-do it. When it is also done by a human 'devil,' that doesn't make the act, itself, devilish.

Hmmm, I see you more as Tariq Azziz.

But this line of discussion isn't important when in a very short period of time we'll all be forced to move from the cities and raise our own food.

Peak Oil is what's important.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2004, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by cold_reality:
This is old news...
You reeeeeally think this is old news? Has anyone told you that within your expected lifetime your way of life will be so DRASTICALLY altered that we'll all be living like Fred Flintstone?

Show me THAT thread, please.

And please, read the information at the links instead of commenting from your pre-conceptions.

Thanks!

angaq0k
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2004, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by aberdeenwriter:
You reeeeeally think this is old news? Has anyone told you that within your expected lifetime your way of life will be so DRASTICALLY altered that we'll all be living like Fred Flintstone?

And please, read the information at the links instead of commenting from your pre-conceptions.

Thanks!
You are in a Panic!

1) Remember to breathe.
2) Remove your shoes and socks.
3) Wriggle your toes and press firmly on your knees so that you can feel the ground
4) Breathe deeply, but normally, slowing down a bit for each breath.
5) Do 10 rep. and try to look at an object of your choice.

Note: Panic attacks never last more than 20 minutes.
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2004, 06:53 PM

Thanks!
News Flash: Reading Comprehension Isn't Just For Third Graders Anymore! �

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2004, 06:56 PM

my impression of aberdeen-

Oh yeah well I'm getting something really special too. And by special I don't mean special like that Cliderman boy down the street. More like Special-K, the cereal. I wonder whatever happened to the regular K? And for that matter, what ever happened to K Ballard? You know, if you said mallard, and you had a cold, it would sound like Ballard.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2004, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by cold_reality:
No, I think it was for WMDs, then it was for freedom, now its "To spread Democracy to the Middle East."

The real reason...money, not for them, not for us or our troops. For a group of powerful and influential companies. Start a war and get rich, its the American way.

It sure as hell ain't for oil, I paid $2.10 last time I filled up the tank.
On what do you base your opinion?

http://www.reason.com/rb/rb072104.shtml

A national energy task force led by Vice President Dick Cheney notoriously devised a national energy policy, released in May 2001. The task force described America's energy situation in stark terms: "America in the year 2001 faces the most serious energy shortage since the oil embargoes of the 1970s. . . . A fundamental imbalance between supply and demand defines our nation's energy crisis."

"What people need to hear loud and clear is that we're running out of energy in America," said Bush in May 2001. "We can do a better job in conservation, but we darn sure have to do a better job of finding more supply." He added, "We can't conserve our way to energy independence."

angaq0k
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2004, 07:01 PM

On what do you base your opinion?

http://www.reason.com/rb/rb072104.shtml

A national energy task force led by Vice President Dick Cheney notoriously devised a national energy policy, released in May 2001. The task force described America's energy situation in stark terms: "America in the year 2001 faces the most serious energy shortage since the oil embargoes of the 1970s. . . . A fundamental imbalance between supply and demand defines our nation's energy crisis."

"What people need to hear loud and clear is that we're running out of energy in America," said Bush in May 2001. "We can do a better job in conservation, but we darn sure have to do a better job of finding more supply." He added, "We can't conserve our way to energy independence."
Millenium?

Where are you?
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

Sir_Wrinkles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2004, 07:03 PM

You're right in saying the idea isn't new. What is new to me is the realization of the ramifications, the nearness of the crap hitting the fan and the inevitability of it.

When listening to Matt Savinar on the Art Bell show, I FINALLY understood how much we really depend on oil JUST for our food (fertilizer, pesticides and shipping the food) not to mention the MANY other uses of oil.

The links supply VERY interesting info.

When the supplies begin to dwindle and our global demand increases, it won't take long before we experience economic collapse.

The supplies are finite.

Even if we found the MAGIC BULLET ALTERNATE ENERGY SOURCE tomorrow, it would take years and years (DECADES) to make that energy available to power our industry.

If our industry can't grow, we can't pay even the INTEREST on our national debt.

I hope you are right. What I've read this evening suggests it will get that bad.

Savinar said it's like trying to escape a tidal wave. Once we see it, it's already too late to escape it's effect.

By the time market indicators to give us the signal to begin MASSIVE investment into alternative energy development, it will be too late.

The Bush family, Sr & Jr. are oil men. In this very close election, you'd think if the President had a way to drive gas prices down before Nov. 2, he'd have done it.

He won't, because he can't.

Iraq was for a variety of reasons. Oil may be the best of them.
I can safely say that if and when this mythical oil crisis hits, there will be no forewarning. Prices will rocket to the moon, and the leaders of the world will shift uneasily on their podeums before saying "Um...we're kinda outta oil."

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2004, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by angaq0k:
You are in a Panic!

1) Remember to breathe.
2) Remove your shoes and socks.
3) Wriggle your toes and press firmly on your knees so that you can feel the ground
4) Breathe deeply, but normally, slowing down a bit for each breath.
5) Do 10 rep. and try to look at an object of your choice.

Note: Panic attacks never last more than 20 minutes.
Ahhh! It's good to see you again, angaq0k!

<imitation of Latka Gravas>
Please, out of all the people here I'll trust you (and only you!!!) to help me regain a grip on sanity and what's real!

Please read the information at the provided links, then tell me I've been dreaming, no...that it's only a nightmare and that the world is only beset with the normal crises (war, terrorism, genocide, famine and etc.) and not this bad, bad "Leroy Brown" sized, deal-ending inevitability.

<Latka turns into Elvis>
Thankyouverymuch.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2004, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by Sir_Wrinkles:
I can safely say that if and when this mythical oil crisis hits, there will be no forewarning. Prices will rocket to the moon, and the leaders of the world will shift uneasily on their podeums before saying "Um...we're kinda outta oil."
I agree. We can't trust the market indicators on this score.

Our leaders have placated us for years and your assessment of their response seems quite likely. Though they MAY just announce it in an oil futures report or something.

Myrkridia
Senior User
Oct 25, 2004, 07:15 PM

Iraq was for a variety of reasons. Oil may be the best of them.
Glad knowing life means about as much to you as a barrel of
crude oil.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2004, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
my impression of aberdeen-
The synapses fire, mental connections are made then either, discarded, filed away or used.

If you ever wanted a close-up example of how one person's imagination manifested, there you go.

If it is different than your own, or if it seems alien to you all I can say is, it is what it is.

It's like the length of a man's legs.

How long should they be?

Long enough to reach the floor.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2004, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by Myrkridia:
Glad knowing life means about as much to you as a barrel of
crude oil.
Those kinds of decisions are going to become more common than we'd ever imagined or would like.

Read the material.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2004, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by Sir_Wrinkles:
But, as I'm still wrapping my brain around this whole thing...the crap will hit the fan long before we run out of oil...

"Are We 'Running Out'? I Thought There Was 40 Years of the Stuff Left"

The issue is not one of "running out" so much as it is not having enough to keep our economy running. In this regard, the ramifications of Peak Oil for our civilization are similar to the ramifications of dehydration for the human body. The human body is 70 percent water. The body of a 200 pound man thus holds 140 pounds of water. Because water is so crucial to everything the human body does, the man doesn't need to lose all 140 pounds of water weight before collapsing due to dehydration. A loss of as little as 10-15 pounds of water may be enough to kill him.

In a similar sense, an oil-based economy such as ours doesn't have to deplete its entire reserves of oil before it begins to collapse. Once the shortfall between demand and supply gets beyond 10-15 percent, all hell is going to break lose.

Myrkridia
Senior User
Oct 25, 2004, 07:45 PM

Those kinds of decisions are going to become more common than we'd ever imagined or would like.

Read the material.
The only thing that was of any interest was the steps the U.S. would go to if an oil crisis occurred. Because I do believe they would invade any country with high enough oil reserves and give the finger to the rest of the world. Though I know they have NOT
been planning this for 30 years. Any country with those kinds of organizational skills would have seen 9/11 coming a mile away.

As for the rest, nothing but, "The sky is falling" paranoid drivel, and about as "informative" as your last dose of
"clear thinking pragmatism"

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2004, 08:40 PM

Hey! You escaped bannination! May the mods be thanked!

I didn't really want you banned, but cripes, you axed for it!

I wonder what conclusions the community should draw from that...Hmmm...

DIABOLICAL

1. [adj] _extremely evil or cruel; expressive of cruelty or befitting hell; "something demonic in him--something that could be cruel"; "fires lit up a diabolic scene"; "diabolical sorcerers under the influence of devils"; "a fiendish despot"; "hellish torture"; "infernal instruments of war"; "satanic cruelty"; "unholy grimaces"
2. [adj] _showing the cunning or ingenuity or wickedness typical of a devil; "devilish schemes"; "the cold calculation and diabolic art of some statesmen"; "the diabolical expression on his face"; "a mephistophelian glint in his eye"

I wouldn't really call what Icruise did as diabolical, even though the two devils (Saddam & OBL) might have done the same thing.

Supporting another in opposing a common foe just makes sense. It's an understandable human reaction, just like going to the bathroom. We all do-do it. When it is also done by a human 'devil,' that doesn't make the act, itself, devilish.

Hmmm, I see you more as Tariq Azziz.

But this line of discussion isn't important when in a very short period of time we'll all be forced to move from the cities and raise our own food.

Peak Oil is what's important.
So, waste and consume less, and vote out the party of extravagant consumer excess.

Tariq Azziz? All I know is when the movie comes out, Dustin Hoffman plays me.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2004, 08:57 PM

The only thing that was of any interest was the steps the U.S. would go to if an oil crisis occurred. Because I do believe they would invade any country with high enough oil reserves and give the finger to the rest of the world. Though I know they have NOT
been planning this for 30 years. Any country with those kinds of organizational skills would have seen 9/11 coming a mile away.

As for the rest, nothing but, "The sky is falling" paranoid drivel, and about as "informative" as your last dose of
"clear thinking pragmatism"
When one reads an informative piece only for that which is of interest much useful information can be ignored.

You seem like the kind of person who would have refused to buy Apple stock (when it was selling low ) just because he didn't like the stock broker who gave him the tip.

Believe it or not I participate in this forum for a number of reasons, only one of which is enjoyment.

I like sharing useful or important information and this I sometimes do here.

I can only drop the seed at your feet. It is up to you to decide what you will do with that seed.

A wise man will at least clear out some weeds to plant that seed then walk away and pay it no mind until fall harvest time when the plant may have a story to tell to one then ready to hear.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2004, 09:17 PM

So, waste and consume less, and vote out the party of extravagant consumer excess.

Tariq Azziz? All I know is when the movie comes out, Dustin Hoffman plays me.
I don't know, would you want a 70-something year old guy (although a legendary and brilliant actor) to portray you?

FUZZY ALERT!!!

Failure to read thoroughly

Sorry, but wasting and consuming less and voting out the party of extravagant excess won't save us.

All the following quotes are either on this thread or the links are.

Given Simmons� background and reputation, what he has to say about the situation is truly terrifying. For instance, in an August 2003 interview with From the Wilderness publisher Michael Ruppert, Simmons was asked if it was time for Peak Oil to become part of the public policy debate. He responded: It is past time. As I have said, the experts and politicians have no Plan B to fall back on. If energy peaks, particularly while 5 of the world�s 6.5 billion people have little or no use of modern energy, it will be a tremendous jolt to our economic well-being and to our health � greater than anyone could ever imagine.

When asked if there is a solution to the impending natural gas crisis, Simmons responded: I don�t think there is one. The solution is to pray. Under the best of circumstances, if all prayers are answered there will be no crisis for maybe two years. After that it�s a certainty.

On a similar note, the respected Washington-based consulting firm PFC Energy Group recently released a report predicting a coming "energy doomsday."

Isaac
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2004, 09:55 PM

hey... I'm not going to bother reading this whole thread, but I read some web page from like 1998 basicly saying exactly the same things you are saying now was going to happen by 2000... this may be something different, but it strikes me as being the same hoax...

"Capitalism is man exploits man, in communism it's the other way around" -- some guy...

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2004, 10:06 PM

Just so the rest of you can all keep sucking eachother's cocks, I'll just chime in with this tidbit that I've said for years:

There is a 600 year oil supply in this country (AKA, our own soil. This includes Alaska.)

Drill that = problem solved.

If things are going south as quickly as is being forcasted, the United States government could begin drilling all over the hot spots on our soil within 36-48 months. Hell, once all the reserves are carefully estimated, we could start to sell some of it off and make a buck or two, just like BP.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2004, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by Isaac:
hey... I'm not going to bother reading this whole thread, but I read some web page from like 1998 basicly saying exactly the same things you are saying now was going to happen by 2000... this may be something different, but it strikes me as being the same hoax...
Well, Isaac, one man would look at the predictions in the Bible and say, "Hmph, we had wars and famines and rumors of war and plagues and pestilence all in the past 20 years and we're still here, so the Bible must be a hoax."

We are all consumers of information. What you do with the information I've presented here is entirely up to you to believe or not as you choose.

I wouldn't even be surprised if someone thought all of this was a prank!

Heck, how do you know it isn't?

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2004, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by CD Hanks:
Just so the rest of you can all keep sucking eachother's cocks, I'll just chime in with this tidbit that I've said for years:

There is a 600 year oil supply in this country (AKA, our own soil. This includes Alaska.)

Drill that = problem solved.

If things are going south as quickly as is being forcasted, the United States government could begin drilling all over the hot spots on our soil within 36-48 months. Hell, once all the reserves are carefully estimated, we could start to sell some of it off and make a buck or two, just like BP.
http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

The author says there's between 1 - 3 trillion barrels remaining.

Most of the 1 billion people in China haven't yet gone beyond a light bulb and a radio's worth of energy useage. What happens when they do?

We've got mebbe 20 - 25 years before we run out. Scary enough for ya?

But, the thing I keep reposting in this thread is that our asses are all grass when the shortage (any combination of less production + more demand) reaches about 20%.

That day is approaching too fast for us to do ANYTHING about it, even if we had a sudden miracle today and began MASSIVE investments into developing alternate sources.

What I'm trying to tell you is there's no way out. The wave will hit us.

Learn to farm and live off the land..

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2004, 10:44 PM

Failure to read thoroughly

No, failure to take seriously. (you, that is)

Sorry, but wasting and consuming less and voting out the party of extravagant excess won't save us.

My thinking is that Americans could quite painlessly cut consumption by 25% per capita, and while that doesn't solve the problem in its entirety, it's a freakin' start, which hasn't even occurred to the Bush administration, members of which have gone on record saying that "conservation is useless." If you are truly concerned with energy independence, then a vote for Bush & co. is utterly irrational. They have consistently put oil consumption, and the profits and expansion of the oil industry at the top of their priority list, much to the detriment of any alternative.

If you really are suddenly terrified, you need to help us wrest control of this country from the grips of Big Oil. All the wars we could wage, and all the lives of soldiers wasted in those wars will only forestall the inevitable if we don't adjust our consumption levels. Even by your rationale where invading countries to seize their petroleum reserves is justified by some bizarre misguided nationalism, we still will use up those reserves, and have to find an alternative anyway. Why not skip the wars and just work on the alternative first?

Oh, god you drug me in. Sorry for ruining a perfectly good de-rail, y'all.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2004, 10:44 PM

http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

The author says there's between 1 - 3 trillion barrels remaining.

Most of the 1 billion people in China haven't yet gone beyond a light bulb and a radio's worth of energy useage. What happens when they do?

We've got mebbe 20 - 25 years before we run out. Scary enough for ya?

But, the thing I keep reposting in this thread is that our asses are all grass when the shortage (any combination of less production + more demand) reaches about 20%.

That day is approaching too fast for us to do ANYTHING about it, even if we had a sudden miracle today and began MASSIVE investments into developing alternate sources.

What I'm trying to tell you is there's no way out. The wave will hit us.

Learn to farm and live off the land..
I'm not going to dig through that site. Give me a direct link to a citable quote, or forget it.

1-3 trillion barrels. From where?

I somehow doubt those Chinese will ever get the opportunity to do so.

20-25 years is plenty of time to correct this.

Art Bell has a great show, and George Noory has done a fantastic job of covering for him. But you cannot believe everyone they let on to the program.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 25, 2004, 10:45 PM

Let's get to the heart of the matter: aberdeenwriter never seems to admit to being wrong about anything, and accuses anyone who disagrees with him of being stupid. Does that about cover it? I mean, strip away all the excess verbiage, and that's what it amounts to. Real endearing personality traits there, guy.

puppetswhokill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2004, 11:42 PM

sure...things are gonna change but not for the majority of the people on this planet who are not responsible for all the gluttony. only the big fat pig eatrers who are feeding at the dwindling trough will try and make a profit from it.

Their sumptuous gluttonies, and gorgeous feasts. --Milton.

War is peace. Wrong is right. Up is down.
Death is life. Lies are truth.

dgs212
Senior User
Oct 26, 2004, 12:12 AM

For anyone who's seriously concerned about "impending oil crises" as I used to be, might I suggest you get ahold of and read very thoroughly Bjorn Lomborg's "The Skeptical Environmentalist."

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 12:14 AM

I'm not going to dig through that site. Give me a direct link to a citable quote, or forget it.

1-3 trillion barrels. From where?

I somehow doubt those Chinese will ever get the opportunity to do so.

20-25 years is plenty of time to correct this.

Art Bell has a great show, and George Noory has done a fantastic job of covering for him. But you cannot believe everyone they let on to the program.
Now YOU would be valuable to a Kerry administration as a negotiator!

You insinuate we fellate each other here.
You state we have 600 years worth of oil but post no link.
You toss off a few well practiced lines of ?? designed to dazzle the average energy illiterate American...
THEN, you state, "I'm not going to dig through that site. Give me a direct link to a citable quote, or forget it."
Demand substantiation for my stats when you won't bother to read what's listed. And FINALLY, you rely on what -- your "scientific background and years of knowledge in the field??? -- to counter the claims by serious researchers who say that 20 -25 years ARE NOT enough time to correct this oil shortage.

And the crisis doesn't start when the oil runs out. It starts MUCH sooner.

Yeah, your attitude is remarkable.

I know C2C requires a little suspension of disbelief at times.

But in this case there might be the chance that all the information you are too busy to read would give you a clue that maybe there was something important going on here.

Oh well.

Never mind.

Yeah, CD, maybe you are right after all.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by Icruise:
Let's get to the heart of the matter: aberdeenwriter never seems to admit to being wrong about anything, and accuses anyone who disagrees with him of being stupid. Does that about cover it? I mean, strip away all the excess verbiage, and that's what it amounts to. Real endearing personality traits there, guy.
Sorry, Icruise. I'm too often wrong. Others are not always stupid.

You're right that I don't admit it easily so this post is going to stand out as one, the likes of which you won't see again for a long, long time.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by puppetswhokill:
sure...things are gonna change but not for the majority of the people on this planet who are not responsible for all the gluttony. only the big fat pig eatrers who are feeding at the dwindling trough will try and make a profit from it.
My linked sources suggest the rich will be able to stave off the major effects of the crisis longer than the average Joe. Yet, all will suffer. Then, at a certain point, once oil DOES run out we WILL ALL return to a caveman type of existence.

The more you look into this the less secure you feel. All the little optimistic, happy ending scenarios are stripped away and the future looks bleak. Anyone who can provide an educated ray of hope here, I encourage you to join in the discussion.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 12:40 AM

No, failure to take seriously. (you, that is)

[/b]

My thinking is that Americans could quite painlessly cut consumption by 25% per capita, and while that doesn't solve the problem in its entirety, it's a freakin' start, which hasn't even occurred to the Bush administration, members of which have gone on record saying that "conservation is useless." If you are truly concerned with energy independence, then a vote for Bush & co. is utterly irrational. They have consistently put oil consumption, and the profits and expansion of the oil industry at the top of their priority list, much to the detriment of any alternative.

If you really are suddenly terrified, you need to help us wrest control of this country from the grips of Big Oil. All the wars we could wage, and all the lives of soldiers wasted in those wars will only forestall the inevitable if we don't adjust our consumption levels. Even by your rationale where invading countries to seize their petroleum reserves is justified by some bizarre misguided nationalism, we still will use up those reserves, and have to find an alternative anyway. Why not skip the wars and just work on the alternative first?

Oh, god you drug me in. Sorry for ruining a perfectly good de-rail, y'all. [/B]
Yes, we should do everything we can to conserve and develop the alternate sources asap. But your interpretation of the situation is different than mine.

Being an oil man I believe the president understands the energy situation better than most. He's tried to give the American public a "heads up" re: the energy situation, without starting a panic or sending negative vibes throughout the country/world.

He understands the need for oil to keep the economy growing but the wave is going to hit us, no matter what.

The alternative sources can not gear up big enough or fast enough to save us. I post links. I cut & paste and yet I get the sensation no one reads.

I'll quit soon.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 01:52 AM

Now YOU would be valuable to a Kerry administration as a negotiator!

You insinuate we fellate each other here.
You state we have 600 years worth of oil but post no link.
You toss off a few well practiced lines of ?? designed to dazzle the average energy illiterate American...
THEN, you state, "I'm not going to dig through that site. Give me a direct link to a citable quote, or forget it."
Demand substantiation for my stats when you won't bother to read what's listed. And FINALLY, you rely on what -- your "scientific background and years of knowledge in the field??? -- to counter the claims by serious researchers who say that 20 -25 years ARE NOT enough time to correct this oil shortage.

And the crisis doesn't start when the oil runs out. It starts MUCH sooner.

Yeah, your attitude is remarkable.

I know C2C requires a little suspension of disbelief at times.

But in this case there might be the chance that all the information you are too busy to read would give you a clue that maybe there was something important going on here.

Oh well.

Never mind.

Yeah, CD, maybe you are right after all.
oh ok

(Jumping on the "You're an idiot." bandwagon.)

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 01:54 AM

Then, at a certain point, once oil DOES run out we WILL ALL return to a caveman type of existence.
Given the emphasis you're putting on this, I think you're actually looking forward to it.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 01:55 AM

oh ok

(Jumping on the "You're an idiot." bandwagon.)

http://www.communitysolution.org/conf1.html

http://www.communitysolution.org/problem.html

http://www.communitysolution.org/peakqanda.html

Q: What will happen as Peak Oil occurs?
A: Oil prices will start to go up. Any goods that are produced with the help of oil will become more expensive.

Q: What will happen after Peak Oil occurs?
A: As the global supply of oil begins to fall below the world's rising demands, there will be a shortage. Oil prices will go up exponentially. For example, just a few years ago in California a 5 percent shortage in natural gas led to a 400 percent price increase.

Because oil is used to transport the goods of our consumer society from all over the nation and globe, the price of most products will also go up. Food prices will be the most evident as food spending as a percentage of income rises.

Furthermore, because energy prices and the economy are so closely linked, an economic recession will be the most likely consequence. Rising national and consumer debt, increased unemployment, and increased social unrest will all follow.

As we acclimate ourselves to a world of scarce oil, the use of oil for non-essential purposes will decrease dramatically. Miles driven will decrease and people will drive more fuel efficient vehicles. People will use less oil directly and indirectly because they cannot afford it. Living in a suburb will become more difficult since cars won't be able to be used as much to get around. Families will likely spend more time with each other. There will be an increasing interest in organic farming out of necessity as food prices continue to escalate.

Oil production will decrease steadily each year until it is all gone in about 40 years. There will still be oil left but it will be too costly to get it out � that is, it may take more energy to get it out than it contains. The oil interval in human history will be over.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 01:58 AM

As we acclimate ourselves to a world of scarce oil, the use of oil for non-essential purposes will decrease dramatically. Miles driven will decrease and people will drive more fuel efficient vehicles. People will use less oil directly and indirectly because they cannot afford it. Living in a suburb will become more difficult since cars won't be able to be used as much to get around. Families will likely spend more time with each other. There will be an increasing interest in organic farming out of necessity as food prices continue to escalate.
THERE'S the "happy ending".

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 02:07 AM

Given the emphasis you're putting on this, I think you're actually looking forward to it.
http://www.sewanee.edu/faculty/Willi...Liberator.html

_ "On this subject, I do not wish to think, or to speak, or write, with moderation._ No!_ no!_ Tell a man whose house is on fire to give a moderate alarm; tell him to moderately rescue his wife from the hands of the ravisher; tell the mother to gradually extricate her babe from the fire into which it has fallen; -- but urge me not to use moderation in a cause like the present._ I am in earnest -- I will not equivocate -- I will not excuse -- I will not retreat a single inch -- AND I WILL BE HEARD._ The apathy of the people is enough to make every statue leap from its pedestal, and to hasten the resurrection of the dead. "

The Liberator
Inaugural Editorial by William Lloyd Garrison
1 January 1831

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 02:26 AM

http://www.postcarbon.org/alerts/BushKnows.20041022.htm

Post Carbon News Alert: Bush has no doubts about Peak Oil

VANCOUVER - October 24, 2004. Pulitzer Prize winning author and journalist, Ron Suskind reports for the New York Times Magazine that George W. Bush knows about oil peak. In fact, he�s got a plan that extends beyond making Iraq the 51st state.

Myrkridia
Senior User
Oct 26, 2004, 02:43 AM

I can only drop the seed at your feet. It is up to you to decide what you will do with that seed.

A wise man will at least clear out some weeds to plant that seed then walk away and pay it no mind until fall harvest time when the plant may have a story to tell to one then ready to hear.
I'm much less inclined to buy your "magic beans" since reading this

Comparing your 'useful and important information' as "seeds" is fine, but to me it will always be like having a crazy man shove a frankfurter in my hand, and then tell me to plant a hotdog tree in my backyard.

Beewee
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 03:07 AM

When one reads an informative piece only for that which is of interest much useful information can be ignored.

You seem like the kind of person who would have refused to buy Apple stock (when it was selling low ) just because he didn't like the stock broker who gave him the tip.

Believe it or not I participate in this forum for a number of reasons, only one of which is enjoyment.

You seem to be the type of person who believes to be right all of time regardless of the opinions of others. Comparing your "useful" and "important" info to seeds. For all you know he did read the article.
A man doesn't need to respond to an entire article if he beings to find crap half way through. Its simple logic, put in truth get out truth. Put in crap and get out the same. If the road ahead is mud and sludge the first few miles and there is no sign of solid ground in sight the wise man turns around while the zealot trudges forward.

You are a zealot and everything that comes from your posts should be taken with a grain of salt, thats how I take it... a stiff drink doesn't hurt either.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 07:21 AM

I'll quit soon.
You've just made my morning.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 10:58 AM

aberdeen, why don't you take a break and get out for awhile? You know, interact with humans around you, rather than trying to define your life on the interweb. By your writing, you seem somewhat removed from reality and border on sounding crazy. Do you have family or friends? Do you do anything besides post here all day? If not, why? Is hanging out in the Political lounge the most fulfilling thing you have found to do with your limited time here? If so, maybe it's time to reevaluate your life. There's a lot more out there than this.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 02:05 PM

I'm much less inclined to buy your "magic beans" since reading this

Comparing your 'useful and important information' as "seeds" is fine, but to me it will always be like having a crazy man shove a frankfurter in my hand, and then tell me to plant a hotdog tree in my backyard.
Oh, you make it too easy...sigh...

Do I have to tell you exactly where to plant that frankfurter?

Nicko
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 02:17 PM

aberdeen, why don't you take a break and get out for awhile? You know, interact with humans around you, rather than trying to define your life on the interweb. By your writing, you seem somewhat removed from reality and border on sounding crazy. Do you have family or friends? Do you do anything besides post here all day? If not, why? Is hanging out in the Political lounge the most fulfilling thing you have found to do with your limited time here? If so, maybe it's time to reevaluate your life. There's a lot more out there than this.

"...Hmmm interesting, interesting stuff. Now tell me about your mother."

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 02:32 PM

DP --- >

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 02:33 PM

aberdeenwriter
I'm too often wrong. Others are not always stupid.

You're right that I don't admit it easily so this post is going to stand out as one, the likes of which you won't see again for a long, long time.
Why?

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 02:58 PM

There are signs we all leave on these pages which, over time, give clues to our existence and reality. However, these clues lie dormant until interpreted.

As a state of the art telephone faithfully transmits the most ill-defined, imperceptible sounds; the sensitivity of a lesser instrument is so lacking that no amount of amplification will improve it's sonic fidelity.

You are so far off the mark that the only thing I find worthy of commendation is your left wing consistency. This, I see as an unfailing liberal tendency to impose your own perceptions and schema on the rest of us.

Lord, please save us from the "truly concerned" liberals who are too blind to see and who love wearing the blinders.

There are missions around the world in need of your 'sensitivity' and concern.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 03:01 PM

You've just made my morning.
Oh, stop it. You LOVE hating me!

Forum Links
Forum Rules