Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Brand new PB 15" 1.5 MHz G4 noisy fan

Brand new PB 15" 1.5 MHz G4 noisy fan
servo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2004, 10:41 AM

I just got a new 15" PB. It's the top of the line model. 1.5 MHz G4 with SuperDrive. This is actually my second. The first one had a fan that was slightly noisy. I am sitting here typing this and compiling a few things. The processor fan just kicked in and it sounds like an airplane is in my laptop.

The noise is coming from right next to the plug for the AC adapter, by the lower left corner of the display. Is this normal or did I somehow get 2 lemons? The thing that really pisses me off is this one is noisier than the first one I had.

I was sitting in a chair with a pillow on my lap when it started so the laptop was sitting a hard service with any air space on the bottom of the case. I have now moved to a table and the fan shut off for a minute but just kicked back in.

The CPU temp is 61.6 degrees C right now. Any suggestions on what I should do? I've spent far too much time over the last few days setting up new laptops.

JKT
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2004, 01:41 PM

If you are compiling something while using the PB, then you will undoubtedly be saturating the CPU at 100% nearly all the time. This is going to make it hot, so the fans will have to run to cool it down. This is perfectly normal behaviour for any CPU (and/or GPU) intense task. Having your PB on a pillow is not going to help it cool very much.

bighead
Senior User
Dec 12, 2004, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by servo:
The CPU temp is 61.6 degrees C right now. Any suggestions on what I should do? I've spent far too much time over the last few days setting up new laptops.
I run Hardware Monitor on my PowerBook (see my sig) and at max CPU it usually is between 144F and 147F, which is 62.2C to 63.8C. This is normal temperature, and the fan noise you are hearing is most likely normal. Very rarely have I seen bad system blowers in 15" AlBooks. They are high quality, and not generally prone to failure.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

servo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2004, 03:42 PM

I'm not questioning the fact that my Al book got hot or that the fan turned on. My worry is that there is an issue with the fan possibly. With the processor working when the fan really kicks in it sounds as though it is physically hitting something. As if the fan were off center. I'm wondering if that is normal.

Anyway, I've sent an email off to the campus store where I got it and I'll be bringing it in to have the Mac guy look at and have a listen. I'll get his opinion.

Are there any tools out there that can tell me more info about my system? Like the Xserve tool that tells you fan RPM, temp and all that.

veauger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2004, 03:10 AM

My 15" 1.5 AlBook's main fans are also very noisy, but very effective. The only come on when I get around 62-63C, and after they kick in the temp drops about a degree every 30 seconds. Have you ever heard a G5 on high? Now THAT sounds like an airplane :]

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2004, 03:26 AM

Did you search for other threads on this?

Did you go into your Energy Savings preferences and adjust the settings to see what that does?
Are you using a CD/DVD at the same time? Are you letting some air circulate underneath the PB?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2004, 03:37 AM

Originally posted by servo:
Are there any tools out there that can tell me more info about my system? Like the Xserve tool that tells you fan RPM, temp and all that.
There's the Apple Hardware Test CD/DVD, but I doubt it will give you any information about your fans. Nevertheless you could try running the test - it certainly can't hurt.

servo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2004, 11:16 PM

The fan comes on right around 63C and unless I am doing some big compiling are off pretty quickly.
I spoke to the Mac product manager on campus and he's going to get a replacement fan in and apparently we have Apple certified techs so they will swap it out for me pretty quick when it comes in.

Forum Links
Forum Rules