Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Website Automation? Best Blogware?

Website Automation? Best Blogware?
vsurfer
Senior User
Jun 26, 2005, 02:20 PM

What are your recommendations for the best way to approach automating website content
Is there any good blog freeware or website automation software out there that would allow for multiple users, a community of users to post comments, photos.

I need something that's low maintenance, but which offers a good degree of versatility. (Don't want to use yahoogroups or similar).

bluedog
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2005, 03:27 PM

There are a LOT of "Content Management Systems" (CMS) that will make it easier to have multiple people add/edit content. Here are a few. You can find the sourcecode for these at www.freshmeat.net which is a repository of links to opensource and software.

Postnuke - popular and easy to set up
phpnuke - not 'quite' as easy to use as Postnuke but seems to have more development behind it
the horde - has a lot of power behind it from what I can see (haven't set it up to test), but its less easy to set up

Do a search at freshmeat.net for CMS and you'll come up with some others. Depending on the content and style of site you wish to set up there are many different options.

jay3ld
Senior User
Jun 26, 2005, 03:48 PM

phpnuke is really great.

allot of stuff you can add on for it also

http://phpnuke.org/ - Official HomePage
http://nukecops.com/ - Really Great Developers in it. Also links to many other phpnuke developer sites.

and you can see from them on there homepage you can what you would call blog kinda with people posting comments

Edit: you can do almost anything with phpnuke. from adding blocks, modules or changing the way it looks and having different themes for users and possibility of different languages.
( Last edited by jay3ld; Jun 27, 2005 at 12:14 AM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2005, 05:06 PM

The thing I don't like about PHP Nuke is that in all the example sites I've been to it seems to force upon you a broad, unflexible feature set. There are things that I would like to do with a CMS, but I don't want it monopolizing the structure of my sites.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Jun 27, 2005, 12:33 PM

I agree. Just about every CMS I've looked at is very rigid or limited. You pretty much live in a 3 column world.

I am also not fond of funneling a lot of time putting stuff into a proprietary framework, open source or not.

Of the ones I've looked at, mambo was my fav.
http://www.mamboserver.com/

T

dj forge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2005, 08:58 AM

yep, definitely go with mambo. I used to run a site with php nuke and while it was easy, i was still stuck with the general layout and features. Before i took the site down I was redesigning in mambo, and I liked it much better.
DJForge.com

Powerbook 15"
1.5 Ghz
1 GB RAM

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2005, 11:01 AM

http://www.opensourcecms.com/

This site has many content-management systems available for you to try out. Unfortunately they limit themselves to PHP/MySQL-based systems, but that's still a large number, and even if you don't like any of the ones they present you can get an idea of what features to look for.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

vsurfer  (op)
Senior User
Jun 28, 2005, 09:23 PM

Thanks for the many suggestions -- checking many of these out has made for a very interesting journey to say the least and a great group of choices...Hey ho, hey ho, it's off to work we go.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2005, 11:48 AM

I am currently building my site based on Mambo. Its really fun to use, I can't wait to see what they have up for version 5.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2005, 01:18 PM

I use and enjoy NanoBlogger.

hotani
Senior User
Jul 1, 2005, 05:48 PM

See my sig.... hotani.net is a system I wrote in PHP/MySQL. You can check out my blog to see it in action.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2005, 09:36 PM

I run my site with WordPress... it didn't take much time at all and it's very easy to maintain.

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2005, 08:14 AM

once upon a time i too was fooled by the 'fresh' looking design and clean lines of mambo. however, after spending several days trying to configure and customise it using their nightmarish admin tools, i gave up and binned it.

if you're pretty happy using an 'out of the box' look, i'd say mambo is one of the best looking CMS out there but [despite claims to the contrary on the developer's site] it is a real bitch if you want to do any *real* low level customising.

Forum Links
Forum Rules