Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Down Loading Application

Down Loading Application
jmault
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2005, 04:27 PM

I do not suppose anyone in here advocate down loading but I am going to ask just for the sake of asking. I went to the Apple store recently and they said Limewire was a horrible app for macs and his reasoning was not because he is against down loading. Does anyone recconmend any other applications for such uses as down loading?
jmault

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2005, 04:49 PM

Acquisition or Poisoned.

search for them at www.versiontracker.com .

Limewire has become an object of derision ever since they became the first - and only - software for the Mac known to have ever surreptitiously installed something AKIN TO (though not quite) spyware.

This little bastard was the Limeshop, installed without telling you about it, and which would watch the Amazon.com cookies that you'd collect by clicking on a sponsored link on a webpage (where a small portion of what you spent on Amazon would benefit the website hosting the link as ad revenue) and would re-direct these cookies to Limewire's own Amazon ad account.

This meant that clicking on a link to Amazon thinking you'd be helping a website pay for bandwidth costs would actually benefit Limewire alone.

Not exactly harmful to you, the user, but completely dishonest ****wittage on the part of Limewire and the reason I refuse to ever use their bastard software ever again, and avidly discourage people from using it.

Apart from that, the Limewire application was complete crap the last time I tried it.

jmault  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2005, 04:54 PM

So Acquiisition or Poisoned is the way to go. Is there anyway of deleting those app since they do not come with an uninstall program? Does trahing and securely emptying work? Lastly do you know which one of those two apps has more files or members so that you when you search for a file, or something, you get a lot of results?
Thanks jmault

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2005, 05:16 PM

I prefer Xfactor to Poisoned.

And yeah, if an app was installed through drag-and-drop, it's generally uninstalled by trashing it.

None of the apps mentioned has a network of its own. They connect to FastTrack, Gnutella and a few other networks.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

jmault  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2005, 05:24 PM

Have you tried or heard anything about Acquisiton? What do you mean installed through drag-and-drop? Forinstance I installed WMP but got rid of it, is that considered a DAD app or is that something I had to install and uninstall? Apprciate all the help. These forums are awesome.
Thanks
jmault

jmault  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2005, 06:39 PM

To delete an app such as WMP or something like Limewire that does not come with an uninstall do I just drag it to the trash and delete? Will that take care of it? Please leave some feedback regarding down loading software. What are your favorites and what see to be the best ones out there?
Thanks
jmault

Fusion
Senior User
Dec 16, 2005, 06:59 PM

1. Download is one word, not two.

2. To uninstall apps, simply drag to the trash and empty trash.

3. The best program is Acquisition, bar none. However, it is not free. If you are looking for a free alternative, try the already mentioned Xfactor. It's not as good but will save you some money.

jmault  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2005, 07:22 PM

What is there difference between secure empty as opposed to just emptying the trash?
jmault

jmault  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2005, 07:36 PM

I recently installed the application Xfactor. Does anyone know what the colored circles in the fourth column indicate. There are red, yellow and green.
Thanks
jmault

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2005, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Fusion
The best program is Acquisition, bar none. However, it is not free.
Is it just me, or is it extremely ironic to charge money for an app whose basic purpose is piracy?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2005, 08:00 PM

To my understanding, the colored circles are a guess at how quickly a download will start from that source.
Chuck
___

mduser63
Dec 17, 2005, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Is it just me, or is it extremely ironic to charge money for an app whose basic purpose is piracy?
I was just about to post the same thing. I bet the people who sell Acquisition wouldn't like people pirating their app without paying for it, yet that's exactly what their app encourages and helps people to do.
12" 1.33 GHz SD Powerbook - 768 MB RAM

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2005, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by mduser63
I was just about to post the same thing. I bet the people who sell Acquisition wouldn't like people pirating their app without paying for it, yet that's exactly what their app encourages and helps people to do.
Eh, Acquisition has yet to lean over and whisper in my ear, "Psst, hey, doncha wanna steal that Snapz Pro?" It sounds like you are projecting your own proclivities onto the program's author. P2P is useful for other things than just pirating software.
Chuck
___

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2005, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
P2P is useful for other things than just pirating software.
While that is true, piracy accounts for probably about 99% of its usage.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2005, 04:35 PM

Acquisition is the worst example of nagware I've ever seen. I prefer Cabos, even though it's a little uglier. Another really nice up-and-comer is Acqlite, but it seems to have big memory leaks.

far200
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2005, 05:20 PM

bittorrent is another program for downloading apps/movies/games...... I haven't used it but there is a version for the mac.......www.bittorrent.com/

jmault  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2005, 06:27 PM

What do you all think of Xfactor? Do you like it or what are your problems with it and why do you prefer other software opposed to Xfactor? Any feedback is great.
Thanks
jmault

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2005, 07:20 PM

Xfactor is based on giFT, which I had major problems with last time I used a giFT-based app. The gnutella support just didn't work, and it would somehow kill internet connectivity for all of the rest of my apps. Then again, I haven't used giFT for about a year.

alexander
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2005, 12:06 AM

I've never gotten Xfactor to connect to any networks, but that can't be the case for everyone.

jmault  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2005, 12:51 AM

So what were the other apps you would reccomend then?
Thanks
jmault

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2005, 06:42 AM

How many more do you need?

Cabos
Poisoned
XFactor
AcqLite

?

jmault  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2005, 02:19 PM

Ha sorry, I appreciate all the help. I have Xfactor and I think it is working prett good right now.
jmault

Mr Heliums
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2005, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
How many more do you need?

Cabos
Poisoned
XFactor
AcqLite

?
Greedy pirates always need more.

jmault  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2005, 05:30 PM

Ha no no, I am just really picky I guess. So I was wanting everyones thoughts on the software they had and why they liked it better than per se there other guys downloading software. I guess I just want the best one available for the mac. Sorry to cause any trouble.

Forum Links
Forum Rules