Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Firmware Update for fan released!

MacBook Firmware Update for fan released!
troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2006, 04:11 PM

I just did a Software Update and a MacBook firmware update for the fan problem was listed. I downloaded and applied it, was about 768k, said that the firmware is now 1.0

I did this about two minutes ago, I have the system connected to the AC and at BETTER PERFORMANCE and haven't heard the "mooing" yet.
Troy Murray

SLiMeX
Senior User
Aug 17, 2006, 04:15 PM

Very cool!
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

troymurray  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2006, 04:17 PM

Your not kidding. I've been using it now for about 10 minutes, still no mooing.
Troy Murray

troymurray  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2006, 04:25 PM

OK, so I'm really hitting this thing hard. The fan doesn't start and then stop, producing the mooing, like before. They start out soft, then get louder and louder the more I do. Most of the time it's quite though. Sure leaves me hopefully that they've fixed the "mooing" issue.
Troy Murray

TacoBallZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2006, 04:48 PM

But does it fix the heat? I'll be trying this when I get off work. *crosses fingers*

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2006, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by TacoBallZ
But does it fix the heat? I'll be trying this when I get off work. *crosses fingers*
Yeah, that's what I'd like to know. I'll have to check CoreDuoTemp for a few hours and see what happens.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

troymurray  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2006, 05:32 PM

I only ran the system for 30 minutes before I left work. I had a lot of applications open and running and it didn't seem as hot, but that would make sense if the fan is running more then on, off, on, off, that the heat would dissipate more and be somewhat cooler. How cool, I'm not sure.
Troy Murray

MANDAIQUIRI
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2006, 05:42 PM

Hey, after I updated my firmware, i did a toast video conversion, which used to bring me to 83 c
now, i got to 72, with averages about 63c near full load 20 minutes in. WOOHOO

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2006, 06:18 PM

I'll wait for some more reports, since my Macbook is used in a production environment currently. I'm looking forward, though…

(moooohh)

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2006, 06:45 PM

OK, so I've been using my MacBook for about 45 minutes now, and the temperature is 52oC! My pre-SMC update temps were on average at about 66oC.

So all these processor temps are no good if they don't change any thing in terms of real world usage. Well, the top left corner of the MacBook used to be pretty hot after about 45 minutes of use... now its barely warm, AND I have been using it on my bed for the last 30 minutes, meaning it has had a lack of ventilation.

The underside of the MacBook used to be the hottest, the area nearest the ports. It was literally too hot to touch. Well now, its warm, but VERY barable, and I could easily use it on my bare legs if I so desired.

Without getting too excited, things are looking good !
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

bryanmsi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2006, 06:48 PM

My Macbook was running 145-150 F all day. I installed the firmware update and the temp is sitting steady at 133! That's a huge drop.

I can tell that Apple lowered the fan activation threshold as the fan is now on at low speed and it was not on at this temp before. It is only audible if I put my ear on the keyboard but I can feel the gentle airflow coming out of the case. And reasonably, starting the fan sooner, spooling it up faster, and keeping it on longer are the only ways Apple could drop internal temps without throttling down the CPU.

Nicely done, Apple!!!

I knew they would get this worked out!

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2006, 08:56 PM

I was skeptical but but pre-update I averaged on about 68 with peeks at 80. Now I am getting an average of 60 with 63 the highest.

Small difference but it is noticeable.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2006, 09:32 PM

I'm seeing drops of about 6-10C normal load, 10C under heavy load, so it was worth the update.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

R0CK3TM4NN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2006, 10:30 PM

Yeah, it used to sit around 67-72 C doing normal tasks. Now its 58-62 C. The fan is barely audible and you can't hear it over the din of an AC or a fridge. Amazing what just a little air movement can do. I wonder how battery life is impacted now...

troymurray  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2006, 10:31 PM

OK, I've been using it for a while and the heat of the top left corner and the understand are MUCH better, much. I'm very happy about this, this fixes the one issue I had with this little guy, what a great machine.

Interestingly though, after the SMC firmware update it said I was at version 1.0, wonder what it was before? Maybe since it wasn't at 1.00 they rushed the model out for the summer buying season?
Troy Murray

jeff25624
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2006, 10:31 PM

I too am also seeing a dip in temps with regards to my normal usage. With the mouse, iPod, two external HD's, and speakers, it's dropped 10 degrees I'd say on average. Big question though will be the battery life, and if it is affected that much.

smnsez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2006, 10:58 PM

what temp monitor is every one using.. sorry ima mac newbie ive only had my macbook a week thanks in advance

jeff25624
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2006, 11:03 PM

CoreDuo Temp, just google it and install, and it should give you what you want.

adil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2006, 11:53 PM

running about 10degrees cooler and no more mooing!
i love my macbook

jtwiskowski
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2006, 12:24 AM

No more mooing here either.

BlacBook w/ 2GB RAM

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2006, 12:28 AM

I've also noticed a ~10 degree drop, but better than that the case is noticeably cooler.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

jaydon34
Senior User
Aug 18, 2006, 01:26 AM

My Steps
1. Applied the firmware update
2. Added 1 gb of corsair ram

Conclusion
Now the laptop is extremely faster since I updated from the stock 512mb. Although my fan spins at a low constant speed. The temp sits betweens 45-50C under normal usage. Amazing I love my macbook even more.
( Last edited by jaydon34; Aug 18, 2006 at 01:36 AM. )
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

greenamp
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2006, 02:30 AM

10C cooler seems to the consensus (same with my MacBook 2.0), with no noticable fan noise. Good update.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2006, 03:24 AM

I never had the moo so I'm wondering if I should apply the update at all.

I guess the fan threshold temp is reduced and people actually get slightly cooler MBs which is nice, but...

What about noise? I don't mind fans running all the time, as long as I don't hear them in a quiet room. Has anybody got the impression the MB now makes more noise after the update? Is the consensus here really that you don't hear the increased fan activity?
•

caleb211
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2006, 04:44 AM

I just got the blackbook do i need the update and if so where do i go to get it.

caleb211
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2006, 04:54 AM

sorry that was kinda dumb of me. Of course its going to be on apples support page lol. But i installed it because i'm sure i need it and you guys keep talking about how great it is. Sorry again i'm new to the mac but i'm lovin it.

ak1nza
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2006, 06:26 AM

Installed the firmware update and my temps are now at 57-60C whereas before it was at 66-68C. The case is much cooler as a result.

Haven't really heard the moo since I installed but I never really heard it much anyways. So that was a nonissue. Now that the temps are lower I don't think I will have that problem.

You will upgrade the firmware sooner or later. Might as well do it now. No point asking whether or not you should IMO.

Caleb, you can just click on the Apple in your menubar and go to software update.

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2006, 07:25 AM

does this help the shutoffs problem at all? maybe it'll be a stopgap solution for me until i can get my macbook in for a new logic board. (i can't do that until i get to Israel, since now there's not enough time for the repair...)

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2006, 07:32 AM

caleb..it should be on software update.

muaddib420
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2006, 07:42 AM

idle hasn't changed (but mine wasn't really running hot) from 58-60. but load is about 8-10 deg lower! yeah! can't hear the fan at all, the processor whine kind of drowns it out LOL. oh, and upper left of the back of the macbook near the power input is MUCH cooler to the touch. NICE.

good update apple, wonder why this fan behaviour wasn't there from the get go, but hey, better late than never.

jaydon34
Senior User
Aug 18, 2006, 08:17 AM

actually my macbook stopped mooing after the logic board was replaced but when I was doing something processor intensive like convert a dvd to mp4 the fan roared like a lion. I prefer the constant slow fan which is barely noticeable after the firmware update. Not to mention the highest temp I've seen so far is around 57C when using safari, itunes, firefox, quicksilver, ichat, flickruploader, and iphoto.
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

troymurray  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2006, 08:46 AM

I'm actually on my second MacBook, my first one purchased from CompUSA on 5/19/2006, never had the "mooing" problem, but it did have the "sizzling" AC adapter. I called Apple and asked for a replacement AC adapter (this was when the first reports of Dell systems catching on fires and exploding were coming out) but they had me send the whole MacBook in. I had it for about 10 days and then lost it for 7, miserable, but the replacement that came didn't have the problem with the AC adapter, however the "mooing" was now an issue and the case seemed just as hot with the second as the first.
Troy Murray

Frans
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2006, 09:01 AM

No more mooing her either, which is very good news, because it could be annoying. Overall temperature dropped about 8 degrees celsius to around 60-62. Very happy with that
After 18 years of MS-DOS and Windows working very happy on Mac, now on a 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz - 2Gb memory - 200 Gb HD with a 20 and 23" screen. I've been waiting for the iPhone for quite a while, let's role it out in Europe. Just one wish left for now: a light mac (2-3 pounds) with 8 hours of working time. They can do it... :-)

R0CK3TM4NN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2006, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
What about noise? I don't mind fans running all the time, as long as I don't hear them in a quiet room. Has anybody got the impression the MB now makes more noise after the update? Is the consensus here really that you don't hear the increased fan activity?
I personally have to try to hear the fan by putting my ear very close to the keyboard. With both palms on the keyboard I can sort of feel a very slight vibration that wasn't there before. In all honesty, I flipped open my macbook this morning to check my email and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2006, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by troymurray
Interestingly though, after the SMC firmware update it said I was at version 1.0, wonder what it was before? Maybe since it wasn't at 1.00 they rushed the model out for the summer buying season?

Did you read the instructions? Cuz you really should for ROM updates.

"After this update has completed successfully, your SMC Version will be: 1.4f10."

The "1.0" means it was just the first update for the MacBook SMC ROM.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2006, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
I never had the moo so I'm wondering if I should apply the update at all.

I guess the fan threshold temp is reduced and people actually get slightly cooler MBs which is nice, but...

I never had mooing either but mine did get hot as hell.

Now it is cooler and doesn't sound the least bit louder.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2006, 11:51 AM

After nearly an hour of standard usage (Safari, iTunes, Adium, iPhoto, Textmate), my MacBook (post-install) has yet to reach 40ºC! I never had any mooing or heat issues, but that's just freaking incredible. I'm in a pretty noisy room, so I can't hear if the fans are on at all or not.

Two thumbs way up to Apple on this one!

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

masugu
Senior User
Aug 18, 2006, 12:50 PM

Hmm. I have several browser windows open + a couple word docs...and I have been hovering at 60-62 celcius....I think I may have been at 70-72 pre-firmware update.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2006, 12:54 PM

Anyone have an external 20.1" plus hooked up with this firmware update?

I am pre-update with a 20.1" and my fans aren't on at all. Temp idles at 66C.

I really don't want a scenario like my 12" PB where a 17" external display caused Turbo Jet action. That was REAL annoying.

UPDATE: Post-Update - Its more 12" PowerBook like, but not as annoying when at idle. I am UnRARing some files, running at 56C and the fans are running at a much higher speed. Before the update the fans didn't come on until like 78C or so.

While typing this post, the UnRAR finished and now at 52C and the fans aren't on at all. Weird. Maybe it has something to do with proc load and current clock speed.

Anyone else?
( Last edited by AppleOptionFour; Aug 18, 2006 at 02:41 PM. )

troymurray  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2006, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by masugu
Hmm. I have several browser windows open + a couple word docs...and I have been hovering at 60-62 celcius....I think I may have been at 70-72 pre-firmware update.
Microsoft Office, because it's not a Universal binary, would always cause the mooing to start. Parallel Desktop would cause it sometimes too, but not now!
Troy Murray

bkpbc1
Aug 18, 2006, 01:16 PM

Im doingloading it as soon as I get home...

Question and I know it is a bit dumb... how do you know the temp. of the CPU?
I tried some widgets to do it but they dont get a reading!

thanks
Carlos

troymurray  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2006, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by bkpbc1
Im doingloading it as soon as I get home...

Question and I know it is a bit dumb... how do you know the temp. of the CPU?
I tried some widgets to do it but they dont get a reading!
You did download CoreDuo Temp right? It's not giving you a reading?
Troy Murray

bkpbc1
Aug 18, 2006, 01:26 PM

well I got the Mini one b/c its nicer... but no reading.... shoud it?

bkpbc1
Aug 18, 2006, 01:31 PM

Wait... it says I need another program to be able to get a reading which I dont have...

when I get home today I will try again..

troymurray  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2006, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by bkpbc1
Wait... it says I need another program to be able to get a reading which I dont have...
when I get home today I will try again..
You need to download and install the whole CoreDuo Temp program, which installs a framework to read the CPU temp, then you can use the widget, but only after the CoreDuo Temp program is installed first.
Troy Murray

bkpbc1
Aug 18, 2006, 02:37 PM

thanks!

Im a newbie.. only had OSX for about 4 month... or since the macbooks came out...

Carlos

toledo79
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2006, 03:22 PM

mine's down to 48o after one hour, this is great.

masugu
Senior User
Aug 18, 2006, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by troymurray
Microsoft Office, because it's not a Universal binary, would always cause the mooing to start. Parallel Desktop would cause it sometimes too, but not now!
Actually, I never had any mooing.

I also have a Dell 20" widescreen monitor attached. Will check my temp later when I detach.

Just was not sure if 60-62 is good for this combo of Word / Browser windows etc

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2006, 04:40 PM

This is a much better app to use for temp readings:

iSlayer.com

You can use the advanced or nano version.

masugu
Senior User
Aug 18, 2006, 05:17 PM

OK...So after some time with my 20" Dell monitor unplugged, my core duo read out post firmware upgrade is 60 / 62 degrees C. Is this as good as it gets? Again, I have a couple word docs open / Macnn of course

Forum Links
Forum Rules