Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > slow scrolling

slow scrolling
aleta
Jun 15, 2000, 12:18 PM

recently had the hard drive replaced under warranty because of whine (not sure it's better) and they put in OS 9 (had 8.6 and liked). Now my scrolling in applications, all of them and especially my fonts menus (all pull down menus) is incredibly slow. It takes probably 15 seconds to scroll down a font menu of 100 fonts. Took it back and they said nothing is wrong, but it didn't do this before. Checked file sharing and other control panels. any ideas?

------------------
aja

reader50
Administrator
Jun 15, 2000, 03:22 PM

could be a corrupted preference file... Try this:

Pull the Preferences folder onto the Desktop & reboot. Everything will come up with default settings - no desktop pic, default background pattern, default monitor resolution, etc.

Do menus scroll normally?

Afterwards, to restore old preferences: Drag the new Preferences folder from the System Folder to the trash; drag the old Preferences folder from the desktop back to the System Folder; reboot.

aleta
Jun 22, 2000, 11:23 AM

OK, I tried what you said with the preference file and no luck. The menus and windows scroll a little better than the pull down menus, but basically all scrolling is way slow. I timed it, it took over 40 seconds to scroll through a font menu that used to take less than a second. Any other ideas? This is pretty frustrating for me. Thanks for your reply.

------------------
aja

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2000, 01:12 PM

Try updating the drivers for your graphics card, possibly, the 2D drivers got all screwed up?

reader50
Administrator
Jun 23, 2000, 12:49 PM

Look for the extension ATI Graphics Accelerator. If this extension is disabled you get slow scrolling - I just tried it. The current version is 4.9.9. Even if it is present, you might install a fresh copy. Umm, you are running on an ATI chipset, right?

I thought setting the disk cache to a low value in the memory control panel might do it, but I tried it and it just produced longer boot up. Scrolling was normal.

mac freak
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2000, 11:38 PM

If you're running OS 9 on something less than a 603--expect slow scrolling!

What is your computer's model? It might help someone to solve your problem...
Be happy.

Jun 29, 2000, 09:38 AM

>recently had the hard drive replaced under >warranty because of whine (not sure it's better) >and they put in OS 9 (had 8.6 and liked). Now my
>aja

Want to sell the 8.6 CD? E-mail me at [email protected]

aleta
Jun 30, 2000, 01:47 PM

thanks for the advice. my imac 350 is back in the shop, so I can't try it out right now. Also, don't want to sell 8.6, I think I'm going back to it, but we'll see. I'll be back next week.

------------------
aja

Forum Links
Forum Rules