Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone Tips & Tricks

iPhone Tips & Tricks
theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2007, 10:58 PM

So today I was going through my phone and was thinking about the little things I do that is not written on an Apple or AT&T website or manual about the iPhone.

~In Stocks, if you tab on the +/- number you can rotate between % and direct numbers
~In Safari, if you tab on the top bar it will scroll to the top of the page for you

So what have you all figured out, learned, been told about your iPhone?
Something I wish I could figure out is how to make safari scroll to the bottom of a page, anyone know how to do this?

It is dreams that will survive, for a dream is immortal.

terryshaw09
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2007, 12:00 AM

i heard the iphone can communicate with aliens but not much else.

bmn
Oct 24, 2007, 03:23 AM

Anyone know a simple way to get the phone 'Contacts' list to sort by First name rather than last name? All my contacts on my old phone were inputted in that method so now its very difficult to find some contacts (especially because I took a shortcut and named lots of contacts "Bob New-Cell" and so forth).

?

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2007, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by bmn View Post
Anyone know a simple way to get the phone 'Contacts' list to sort by First name rather than last name? All my contacts on my old phone were inputted in that method so now its very difficult to find some contacts (especially because I took a shortcut and named lots of contacts "Bob New-Cell" and so forth).

?
Go to: Settings > Phone > Sort Order

bmn
Oct 24, 2007, 01:47 PM

thank you thank you thank you!

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2007, 06:14 PM

on the keyboard holding down some letters like e give you options for accents.

dvenne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2007, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
on the keyboard holding down some letters like e give you options for accents.
Thanks, I did not know that. À la prochaine...

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2007, 08:15 PM

Something I noticed that was changed with the latest update is this:

Before the update when I was listening to music (or whatever), my iPhone went to sleep (screen goes black), and I hit the Pause button on the headset, after a couple minutes hitting the button again wouldn't start the music back up without having to wake the iPhone and then unlock it (slide finger) to bring it to the iPod screen. Now you can just wake it up and hit the Play/Pause button on the headset to get it going again. No need to unlock it or hit any other buttons on the iPhone itself.

That's something that bugged me a lot. Now its way easier to start up whatever you were listening to after pausing it for a couple minutes.

I know you can bring up the iPod controls now on the "unlock" screen by double tapping the Home button, but there's no need to do that if you are using a headset with the play/pause button. This new "feature" basically saves me a finger slide, which doesn't sound like much but to me was actually pretty annoying.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2007, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Something I noticed that was changed with the latest update is this:

Before the update when I was listening to music (or whatever), my iPhone went to sleep (screen goes black), and I hit the Pause button on the headset, after a couple minutes hitting the button again wouldn't start the music back up without having to wake the iPhone and then unlock it (slide finger) to bring it to the iPod screen. Now you can just wake it up and hit the Play/Pause button on the headset to get it going again. No need to unlock it or hit any other buttons on the iPhone itself.
That doesn't seem to be the case with me with version 1.1.1. I still had to unlock it after a few minutes just to get the music going again.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2007, 08:31 PM

That doesn't seem to be the case with me with version 1.1.1. I still had to unlock it after a few minutes just to get the music going again.
Hmm that's odd. Works every time for me. Can anyone else chime in on this?

VALET dude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2007, 11:34 AM

i can bring up the player control even while it still on LOCK. just simply double tap the HOME button. : )

jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2008, 01:48 PM

Thanks for these tips + tricks....keep them coming !

brugesman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2008, 12:03 PM

It seems like the iPhone can do everything.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2008, 12:22 PM

Hold the power button and then press the home button to take a screenshot.

Double tap a text column to automatically have it fill the width of the screen. Tap it again to shrink the screen.

Double tap near the bottom of a webpage to scroll down.
Double tap near the top of a webpage to scroll up.

Hold the "." button on the Mail keyboard to get stuff like ".com", ".org". In the Safari keyboard, hold the ".com" button for the same thing.
If you have the Canadian localization turned on, you can get ".ca" as well. You get different ones for other localizations.

Double tap the space bar to get ". ".

Tap the little dots at the bottom of the home screen to scroll between pages.

If there are a lot of very small hard to read links on a shrunken page, press and hold your link to and it will expand into a dialogue box so you can verify you have the right link. If it is, then let go and the link will load. If it isn't, then just slide your finger away.

Originally Posted by VALET dude View Post
i can bring up the player control even while it still on LOCK. just simply double tap the HOME button. : )
Works for me too.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2008, 12:52 PM

Here is the best one.... Double tap in google maps with TWO Fingers to zoom out. Wish that worked with photos as well.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2008, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Hmm that's odd. Works every time for me. Can anyone else chime in on this?
It only worked if iPod was the foreground app in OS 1.X but in 2.0 it seems to work every time. So far at least.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2008, 01:05 PM

Here is the best one.... Double tap in google maps with TWO Fingers to zoom out. Wish that worked with photos as well.
Well, you can double tap with one finger. However, it just alternates between max and minimum size.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2008, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Well, you can double tap with one finger. However, it just alternates between max and minimum size.
Well that just not the same thing now is it?

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2008, 07:52 PM

Ahh every day is a school day.... thanks for that one. Im beginning to think that apple should have written a manual so we were not expected to guess these things!!!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Forum Links
Forum Rules