Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > need help with partition problem...

need help with partition problem...
vtboyarc
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2009, 02:38 AM

I got a copy of windows, and I wanted to install it, so I opened boot camp, partitioned drive, and set it to allocate 15GB for windows. Well, right as it was about to finish, my MacBook crashed. When I restarted, I opened boot camp again, and lo and behold, I was 15GB less space on my computer than before. Yet the partition wasn't showing up, no option to restore/remove windows partition. So I was like, whatever, I'll try again. But it now keeps on saying error when it tries to partition.
So how can I remove the invisible partition that it made before my comp crashed?? And it doesn't show up in disk utility. Thanks!

reader50
Administrator
Sep 29, 2009, 03:18 AM

The system crash left your partition map in an unexpected state. The 15 GB may be present as free space, or the partition map may be damaged. A hot-repartition utility like iPartition might be able to fix things up.

The safest solution is to clone your drive to an external HD. Then boot from your Install DVD, go to Disk Utility, and repartition your internal drive. Put down a fresh partition map, without possible errors. Clone your system back afterwards. It will take time, but this is what I'd do. Just to be certain my drive was healthy.

Having the system crash while writing to your partition table is bad business.

Forum Links
Forum Rules