Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > PB3400 HD upgrade

PB3400 HD upgrade
Air_Man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2001, 12:34 PM

Im planning to upgrade my current 1.3gig hd to a 20gig IBM TravelStar. I want to find out if it is compatible with everything. here is the url..http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/travel/tr20gn.htm

Thx for your help

Adam

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2001, 08:37 AM

Should work, physical mounting may be an issue.
I just replaced the 750MB HD in my 5300 with a 4GB Toshiba and had to use double sided foam tape.
Made the mistake of formatting it HFS+, running OS8 and kept getting errors, d'oh.
I may have to move up to 8.5 or 8.6 when I get a USB PC card, then I should be able to go to HFS+(I think that was at the 8.5 transition).
Re-initialized as HFS and works fine now.

<firefly>
Aug 16, 2001, 07:39 PM

Made the mistake of formatting it HFS+, running OS8 and kept getting errors, d'oh.
I may have to move up to 8.5 or 8.6 when I get a USB PC card, then I should be able to go to HFS+(I think that was at the 8.5 transition).
FYI 8.1 was the transition to HFS+.

I did the same thing on a performa once

<[finboy]>
Aug 17, 2001, 05:23 PM

The mount in the 3400 has screws in the (now) standard place, like the 1400 did, so as long as the drive isn't too thick, it will work fine.

The 5300, on the other hand, had the screws in the wrong place for newer drives, so you have to use foam tape or adapters to mount newer drives.

NOTE: READ THIS!!!!!
The 5300 will not support USB in any way, shape or form. The 5300 is 16-bit PCMCIA and not 32-bit Cardbus, nor can it be upgraded to Cardbus. Same for the 1400. The 3400, 2400, and 3500 (G3 250) can all be upgraded to Cardbus, and some of the late production models had Cardbus from the factory. I can say this with some experience on the matter.

finboy
Aug 17, 2001, 05:26 PM

OK, I forgot something:

Also, there is no such thing as a USB PCMCIA card. They don't exist. All USB cards for laptops require Cardbus. They will not work with the Powerbook 520, 520c, 540, 540c, 190, 5300, 5300c, 5300cs, 5300ce, 1400cs or 1400c, under any circumstances.

Sorry.

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2001, 01:42 PM

Well that's a bummer. Thanks for the insight, Finboy.
Since you've been down this trail before, what's the possibility of an airport compatible card for the 5300?
Guess I'm probably hosed here too...
At least the SmartMedia reader card works fine in the 5300, so I can get images from my camera to the PB.

finboy
Aug 19, 2001, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by zac4mac:
<STRONG>Well that's a bummer. Thanks for the insight, Finboy.
Since you've been down this trail before, what's the possibility of an airport compatible card for the 5300?
</STRONG>
Yeah, I've got two 5300s that I still use for field photo work, and I had 1400s before that.

I think that the 802.11 cards are all Cardbus, but there's no reason why they couldn't be 16-bit. I mean, Airport ain't all that snappy in the first place. But if it says CardBus, you are S.O.L. on that.

Good luck. Don't forget, any problems with the 5300, call 1800SOSAPPL and send it back for repair.

<str1>
Aug 20, 2001, 12:09 AM

The 3400 *is* compatible with the Belkin USB card. I use one in mine all the time, and I have yet to run into any problems. Similarly, you *can* run the Lucent Wavelan Silver wireless networking card in the 3400.

The info can be found by search USENET through deja.com. There were instructions for all of this posted to the powerbook ng a while back.

This all takes some doing (e.g. downloading the USB extensions, manually extracting the Airport installer and installing it manually), but in the end you wind up with a 3400 with USB and access to a wireless network.

Cheers
Scott

<str1>
Aug 20, 2001, 12:19 AM

The 3400 *is* compatible with the Belkin USB card. I use one in mine all the time, and I have yet to run into any problems.
I forgot to say that the USB you get is "sleepless." That is, if the 'book goes to sleep while the USB card is installed, it will not see it again when it wakes up. This is not the case with the lucent card. For me it has worked flawlessly.

Cheers
Scott

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2001, 08:30 AM

Hey Air_Man, did you get your phat HD?

Thanks for the info guys, guess I'll keep poking for a wireless solution.
I can live without USB, but AirPort would be nice. Maybe I'll go ethernet...

Pretty pleased with the 5300. I have right at 400 bucks in it now and it has 48 MB RAM and a 4 GB drive.
Thought real hard about a new iBook, but can't spend that much until I get my Mystic paid off.
The SmartMedia reader from my Digital Wallet plugs in and mounts right up in the PC card bay.
Everything seems to work, and it's been "reconditioned" already. The case is pristine and the label on the back is having trouble staying on.
Battery lasts 2-2.5 hrs continuous awake time. Seems pretty snappy until I try to open a big JPEG.

Gauge Pro says it moves RAM data at only 20MB/s, compared to the 220MB/s I get on the G4.
Not bad when you consider it's 5 years old.

Forum Links
Forum Rules