Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > What to do with a Quadra 700

What to do with a Quadra 700
AJ
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2001, 09:56 AM

I am being given an old Quadra 700 by a "friend". Now, it has a whopping 400MB hard drive, and a industry leading 20MB of memory

Any suggestions about what i can do with this power house? Any suggestions would be grateful. I have none

AJ

bluedog
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2001, 09:20 PM

These machines are loooong in the tooth. Best thing for that machine is as a router, or light email server.

Other than that, put MacMame on it and play old arcade games!

Although you could get an answering machine out of it with the megaphone software and a modem. These machines are great for that, and if it *is* a mail server then setup an applescript to convert the files to MP3s and EMAIL them to you when they arrive. Although the machine isn't powerful enough to decode and play them in realtime, you may be able to get it to encode them and then send them off.

That's it for now.

cove
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2001, 12:38 AM

I use mine as an electronic picture frame. I stuck the monitor through a hole in the sheetrock and run an old version of JpegView in slideshow mode. It makes a cool stairway light.

Cipher13
Nov 22, 2001, 07:16 AM

Ha, very cool idea

I'd run it as a router, personally. Little slow maybe, but give it a try; if it isn't too bad then go for it. Otherwise I'd use it as a Hotline server, or something similar.

AJ  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2001, 07:26 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I am actually quite keen on the pictureframe idea. I will be getting a flat sometime next year, so that might have some potential.

Hrm, the router is a good one too...which versions of mac linux work on this baby?

Thanks for the suggestions people.
Regards
AJ

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2001, 12:44 PM

I'd get a copy of MaxScreenSaver, which will let you run various screen savers. It's too slow to run SETI or RC5 effectively, but you can make the computer run nice eye candy with the Matrix module. I love it myself. I use it on my original iMac, since SETI takes 24 hours to complete a unit.

Is your ocmp powerful enough to be an MP3 jukebox? use it so if you can/
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

MacScuzzy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2001, 11:44 PM

A couple things come to mind -
  • Couple it with an old modem and have an eMail machine
  • Put a CDRW, Zip, or Jaz drive on it and a copy of Retrospect, and there's a backup server
  • A server in general. It does have built in Ethernet after all...
  • Find 2 cheap Toby cards and have three monitors, impress your friends
  • The whole picture frame idea would work well, since it's capable of displaying 24Bit color
  • Give it to someone who doesn't have a computer
  • It would make a great typing machine with MS Word 5.1 or AppleWorks...
Spring has sprung, fall has fell, winters here and it's colder then usual

Cipher13
Nov 23, 2001, 02:48 AM

Originally posted by AJ:
<STRONG>Thanks for the suggestions. I am actually quite keen on the pictureframe idea. I will be getting a flat sometime next year, so that might have some potential.

Hrm, the router is a good one too...which versions of mac linux work on this baby?

Thanks for the suggestions people.
Regards
AJ</STRONG>
MkLinux; maybe even 68K flavours of YDL or others.

AJ  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2001, 07:02 PM

Thanks for that Cipher. I will investigate later when i get the machine!

AJ

romeosc
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2001, 09:31 PM

I have 4 in use.

1. In kitchen with a old 17" monitor for recipes.

2. In garage entry for family messages..... who is going where & when they plan on returning

3. In Game room with a CD player for looking at family slides converted to CD.

4. In Den for kids to keep track of vcr tapes

All except one in garage on ethernet network to the other household computers and airport base station.

There are thousands of uses.....

Mark Herbert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2001, 10:01 PM

I don't think there is a 68k version of Mklinux or Yellow Dog Linux.

Have a look at http://www.linux-m68k.org/ there is a port of Red Hat 5.1 and Debian as well as a few others I think.

It's not Linux but you may like to have a look at the 68k Port of NetBSD http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/.

Have Fun
Mark

[ 11-24-2001: Message edited by: Mark Herbert ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules