Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Transferring files from Mac to PC (vice versa)

Transferring files from Mac to PC (vice versa)
niacin
May 14, 2000, 04:29 AM

What is the best way to do this? Other than to burn a CD?
Let's say I have 300-600MB of data- images, mp3s, and such. What interface is the best for this?

Cipher13
May 14, 2000, 05:39 AM

Got a zip or jaz or orb or something? I think some of those are cross-platform.
Setting up a network isn't too expensive, and is a good idea anyway... get ethernet cards for both if you don't already have them, some Cat 5 cable and a hub, and voila!
Getting the PC to talk to the Mac is harder though...

Cipher13

niacin  (op)
May 14, 2000, 06:05 AM

I'm actually thinking about a cheap method, like linking them via a cable or something, other than a ethernet one. Like PC-PC I will use a Parallel cable to link for file transfer.
Does USB work in this case?

Cipher13
May 14, 2000, 07:41 AM

Can't say I've tried... well I could but I'd be lying, so I wont.
You could do it with 2 Macs easily enough, but Mac to PC is a bit of a problem. I don't know whether this would work, but you could dial one computer directly into the other. It would be slow, but not as slow as the net, as you are going straight from modem to modem. That is providing you have modem in each comp...
Other than that I have no idea....

Cipher13

anly
Forum Regular
May 15, 2000, 05:47 AM

I think the easiest way is to get virtual PC. But I don't know if you think that is a "cheap" solution. + you need a hub, cat5 cables as well...
Past Love:
Apple II, Mac SI, PB Duo, Pismo, iMac G4, Digital Audio
iMac Rev.A 256MB OSX10.3
PB 17" Rev. C 1.5Ghz
Current:
MacBook 2.0Ghz 10.5.2
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 17" 10.5.2

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
May 15, 2000, 06:01 AM

If the machines are within cable distance of each other, then an ethernet cable is the cheapest (assuming the PC has an ethernet port). There are network products using USB, but they're PC only, and not what USB was designed for (so a bit cludgy).
The *Easiest* way would be, as was previously suggested, a zip drive/superdisk drive or similar, as these plug into USB on either machine with no real problems, you copy the files over, and then plug the drive into the other machine. A lot less setup than having to sort out the ethernet on the PC.
Aaron

zeller
May 16, 2000, 12:02 AM

If you go with the ethernet solution there is a very simple (and elegant!) way to get the PC and Mac to talk to each other.

Give each computer a nice bogus IP number, like 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2, then download NetPresenz for the mac. This is a fine FTP server, and is very easy to set up. In five minutes (if you read the readme file!), you can have your mac setup as an FTP server and then ftp from your PC right into your Mac, using the IP number. You can then upload or download files to your heart's content. We used to do this on a routine basis where I previously worked.

Ben

Cipher13
May 16, 2000, 07:09 AM

Very cool... whats the URL for NetPresenz?

Cipher13

zeller
May 16, 2000, 11:07 AM

You can download the newest version of NetPresenz 4.1 from

ftp://ftp.stairways.com/stairways/netpresenz-41.hqx

Wow. The shareware registration fee for NetPresenz is now an amazing $75. It used to be $10 for version 4.0.1 (We bought five copies at the old price -- less than one copy at the new price!) Not to worry, you can still try out the new version without paying the shareware fee.

Ben

Cipher13
May 17, 2000, 04:07 AM

Thanks. Talk about a price jump. But i guess that pales in comparison to the drop in WebObjects unlimited license price...

Cipher13

exa
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2000, 06:40 AM

On a side note, use a cross over cable to link the two systems together via ethernet, you won't need hubs and more normal cat5 (crossover cables go for <10$ ?)

Crow
May 17, 2000, 12:35 PM

Hey all, You don't need netpresenz to do FTP style transfering. You can just setup your Web Sharing control panel. It does pretty much the same thing...

Crow

Forum Links
Forum Rules