Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 4400 having modem problems

4400 having modem problems
ajtpolo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2000, 06:45 PM

I'm still having trouble with an old 4400 that I'm working on for a friend. I ruled out problems with the battery, but the machine is still acting awry. I convinced my friend to buy OS 9 as he was still using 8.0. This improved many things, but now when I clean installed AOL, the computer doesn't know that the machine has a built-in modem in the com-slot on the PCI board. The thing won't even dial through PPP. I assume I must be missing some crucial piece of software (a driver for this particular modem card?) but I moved everything from the old system folder that had anything to do with the modem, internet connection, or anything similar to the new system folder. I also tried all of the restore disks that came with the machine - nothing I could use there. I checked to make sure the cad was in snugly - that checked out? so what gives?

Any thoughts or ideas. Please help me - I'm really lost on this one.

-ajtpolo

MacOS761
Senior User
Aug 13, 2000, 10:40 PM

I felt sorry that nobody had responed to your plea...

Anyway, the thing you probably need is called a "Modem Script". I know you said that you copied everything over, but maybe you missed the modem scripts, or they got corrupted or something. I don't know how fast or what chips the 4400's have, but I can hardly believe you're running OS 9 on it! My 5200 chokes on 8.x OS's! (It's a 75MHz) Anyway, in the Extensions folder, there is a folder called "Modem Scripts", and that's where you need to look... OS 9 probably doesn't come with scripts for the kind of modem you've got.

------------------
We're supposed to sing about piraty things!
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

Forum Links
Forum Rules