Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook buying advice/Input needed...

Powerbook buying advice/Input needed...
The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2004, 05:41 PM

Well, I have a new contract starting for work next month (software testing), and I will be working away from home during the week, staying in hotels in the evenings...

My main dual G5 will remain at home obviously.

So, I need a new *book to use while I am away...

For work I mostly use Windows apps (Winrunner/Rational Robot etc), but do use Sybase and DBMS stuff for OS X, so the machine will need to run these well. I will however do most of my email and 'leisure' work on it, and probably watch a few DVDs in the evenings.

My first thought is 15" AluBook, but I am wondering how good the current 12" Powerbooks are as they are quite a bit cheaper?

I had a original G4 867, and was a bit unimpressed performance wise, and sold it after 3 months to get a 15" TiBook.

The TiBook was cool screen wise, but I didn't bond with it, so it went 2 months later as well!

Wondering what everyone recommends based on their experiences with these machines?

Cheers,

Marc

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2004, 08:10 PM

The 15s are faster, but cost quite a bit more too. Depends on how much horsepower you really need. 1ghz runs VirtPC decently, so any of the current 12s should be ok.

NightEyes
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2004, 12:17 AM

I think you would be quite happy with the performance of the 12".
mb air, imac, iphone, touch, shuffle

The Placid Casual  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2004, 06:02 AM

Originally posted by TailsToo:
The 15s are faster, but cost quite a bit more too. Depends on how much horsepower you really need. 1ghz runs VirtPC decently, so any of the current 12s should be ok.
Thanks for the reply.

However I am a bit confused... The last time I tried to run Access, Oracle, Winrunner et al in VPC it was dreadful... when you say 'decently', how well do you mean? as I still don't think you can get anything overly productive done in VPC these days...

As for the 15"s, the combos have the same mhz chip as the 12", so does the increase in FSB really make that much difference to performance? The 1.5 15" for me is only �300 more than a 12" so it is well within the ballpark, but can 200mhz really give such a good improvement?...

Info I am after reallly centres around this...

I normallly multitask a *lot*, it is not unusual for me to be running Sybase Central (100,000+ records), Interactive SQL, X11 stuff, Photoshop, Indesign, Office, Mail, Safari, Shiira, iCal and iTunes (possibly talking to someone on an iSight and or playing a DVD at the same time too) simultaneously... Could a 1.33 G4 12" cope with this kind of load on a every day basis without continually grinding to a halt like the 867 model did?

I obviously will stack up with lots of RAM, but at the same time need to get a machine that will cope with it all adequately...

Cheers,

Marc
( Last edited by The Placid Casual; Jun 21, 2004 at 06:11 AM. )

powermacj7
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2004, 09:33 PM

I just recently bought a 12' PB, and glad I did. I am not doing the stuff you are, but I am impressed with the performance, and portability of the PB. In my opinion, it depends on how much you have to transport it around. I had a 15' 687 PB, and was pleased with it at the time. Although it became a bit cumbersome on airplanes, etc. I think you should ask yourself how much traveling you plan on doing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules