Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Visual voicemail with unlocked iPhone - maybe it works

Visual voicemail with unlocked iPhone - maybe it works
philm
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2007, 06:02 AM

I was reading this article on Endgadget when I saw the following picture of a UK iPhone on O2 next to a supposedly hacked phone using T-Mobile.

The interesting thing is that the T-Mobile phone appears to have Visual Voicemail working, according to the phone icon in the bottom left.

Everything I have read says that this is not really possible, but I don't really see a reason for producing a fake image and it doesn't seem fake.

Thoughts?

Warbrain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2007, 06:27 AM

No, it's not visual voicemail. It is a voicemail indicator, but it doesn't perform in the same manner as visual voicemail because T-Mobile hasn't implemented that change to their system to allow it. I'm willing to bet that you just dial in to your voicemail like every other phone in the world.

The funny thing I did notice about the post, though, is that the Weather app now displays Celsius but the Map app still utilizes a US interstate sign. You think that would've changed...

philm  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2007, 06:34 AM

[QUOTE=Warbrain;3488740]No, it's not visual voicemail. It is a voicemail indicator, but it doesn't perform in the same manner as visual voicemail because T-Mobile hasn't implemented that change to their system to allow it. I'm willing to bet that you just dial in to your voicemail like every other phone in the world./QUOTE]

But it's interesting that the phone appears to 'know' that there is only one voicemail message waiting. I don't know of other phones which offer that functionality (but I could be wrong).

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2007, 07:33 AM

The T-Mobile phone isnt hacked, its an AT&T American iPhone using T-Mobile on roaming network.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2007, 07:34 AM

[Edit: ajprice beat me by a minute. ]

Visual voicemail is completely impossible without dedicated infrastructure on the side of the provider, as far as I understand it.

Who said the T-Mobile phone is hacked? Is there any reason to believe so? The Engadget article doesn't mention it.

I'd think that's just a standard iPhone, automatically logged into T-Mobile UK for international roaming. Voicemail is working as on a standard, unhacked iPhone because that IS a standard, unhacked iPhone.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2007, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by philm View Post
But it's interesting that the phone appears to 'know' that there is only one voicemail message waiting. I don't know of other phones which offer that functionality (but I could be wrong).
I believe even my free-with-contract Nokia candybar in 2003 could tell me how many voicemails I had waiting for me.

philm  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2007, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Who said the T-Mobile phone is hacked? Is there any reason to believe so? The Engadget article doesn't mention it.

I'd think that's just a standard iPhone, automatically logged into T-Mobile UK for international roaming. Voicemail is working as on a standard, unhacked iPhone because that IS a standard, unhacked iPhone.
The article refers to an 'unlocked US iPhone…running on T-Mobile's UK network' but you could be right. Even if it is a roaming 'normal' US phone it's interesting to me that the part of the Visual Voicemail works across different networks, although the '1' might just reflect the most recent situation when the iPhone was on the ATT network in the US.

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2007, 09:55 AM

How is that interesting?

All that means is a Voicemail came in and the notification was dismissed. It could be visual or not. It could even be a missed call. There's no way to be certain.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

Warbrain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2007, 10:21 AM

[QUOTE=philm;3488743]
Originally Posted by Warbrain View Post
No, it's not visual voicemail. It is a voicemail indicator, but it doesn't perform in the same manner as visual voicemail because T-Mobile hasn't implemented that change to their system to allow it. I'm willing to bet that you just dial in to your voicemail like every other phone in the world./QUOTE]

My RAZR tells me how many voice messages I have.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2007, 11:28 AM

Something has just occurred to me: Apple has partnered with with a different company in each of the European countries - O2 for UK, Orange for France, T-Mobile for Germany. All these companies also operate in the UK (plus Vodaphone, who looks to be out of the loop at the moment - maybe they'll get Italy or Span ?).

What this means is that each network has had to upgrade it's voicemail system to whatever is needed to support Visual Voicemail. So it's not inconceivable that a cracked UK O2 iPhone on the UK Orange network will receive visual voicemail ! I mean, surely if a French Orange customer comes to the UK they will roam on the UK Orange network, and expect to still be able to access their voicemail visually ?

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2007, 12:59 PM

Wow. Just wow.

I'm just going to ask ... what happens when you miss a call on your iPhone?

(The answer is that you get a count of your missed calls beside the phone icon, as above.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules