Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Restoring my iMac after a HD replacement

Restoring my iMac after a HD replacement
gemigene
May 27, 2009, 05:52 PM

Hi,

I recently picked-up my iMac from the repair shop after a HD replacement and about to set it up. When I brought it in for servicing, I bought a Mac Mini (1.83MGz) as a back-up unit and I would like to migrate my preferences and applications from the Mini to the iMac.

Both units run on Leopard so I was considering doing the following:

- Connect the 2 units via a firewire cable and use the migration utility,
- Install the recent upgrades on the iMac,
- Run the repair permissions utility (as I always do after major upgrades)

Would this be the proper procedure or is there a better way of doing this?

Also, the iMac came with OS-X 10.4 and 2 weeks later, I sent in for the 10.5 upgrade disk but the Mini has the original OEM 10.5 disks, can they be used on the iMac if ever I need to do a complete OS install?

Cheers,
Gene

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2009, 05:15 AM

That would be the proper procedure, except you can skip the permissions repair - it's completely irrelevant.

You can install the mini disks only on a mini of that series.

HOWEVER, if you boot the iMac into Firewire target disk mode (by holding the "T" key on startup) and hook that up to the mini, the mini will treat it as just an external drive, and the Install disks will install as they would onto any other connected external drive.

Note that this is only legal if you have a 10.5 software license for the second machine (which you do, having been eligible for the upgrade).

gemigene  (op)
May 28, 2009, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
That would be the proper procedure, except you can skip the permissions repair - it's completely irrelevant.
Thanks for the swift reply and I'll do as suggested

You can install the mini disks only on a mini of that series.

HOWEVER, if you boot the iMac into Firewire target disk mode (by holding the "T" key on startup) and hook that up to the mini, the mini will treat it as just an external drive, and the Install disks will install as they would onto any other connected external drive.
Great, I didn't know there was a workaround and just to make sure I understand correctly, I do the above procedure and simply load the install disks in the Imac to load the OS, right?

Note that this is only legal if you have a 10.5 software license for the second machine (which you do, having been eligible for the upgrade).
Yes, both my Leopard versions are legal, the only difference is that the Tiger to Leopard upgrade disk is 10.5.0 whereas the Mini's is 10.5.4.

Thanks again for your help,
Gene

Forum Links
Forum Rules