Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Movie Recommendation: Pacific Rim

Movie Recommendation: Pacific Rim
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2013, 02:36 PM

If you are a techie, love sci fi, giant monsters or giant robots then this movie is for you. Every now and then, I just have the urge to watch a mindless action flick.... And this movie gets it. It is a visual and auditory feast.

Pacific Rim was made for the giant screen. The story, characters and dialog merely exists to lay the groundwork and the loosely defined logic and premise. (For some reason the dialog and character building reminded me of Starship Troopers).

And in sharp contrast to apocalyptic sci-fi genre, this movie takes place on the global scale, as opposed to a single country (maybe that's why the movie is proving more popular overseas?). The cast is made up of all unknowns (to me anyway). Australia is represented.... by British actors, so the accents were nowhere close(IMHO) .

Pacific Rim Trailer (Youtube)

If you haven't already, check it out.... this might be the first movie I actually go see again in theater.

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Aug 13, 2013 at 02:39 PM. )

OreoCookie
Aug 12, 2013, 02:50 PM

Yes, yes, yes, I've seen it two weeks ago and the movie is epic. If you have ever been 12 year-old boy you'll love this movie. I second the recommendation to watch it in a movie theater on a giant screen rather than as a bad stream online.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

finboy
Aug 12, 2013, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
If you are a techie, love sci fix, giant monsters or giant robots then this movie is for you. Every now and then, I just have the urge to watch a mindless action flick.... And this movie gets it. It is a visual and auditory feast.

Pacific Rim was made for the giant screen. The story, characters and dialog merely exists to lay the groundwork and the loosely defined logic and premise. (For some reason the dialog and character building reminded me of Starship Troopers).

And in sharp contrast to apocalyptic sci-fi genre, this movie takes place on the global scale, as opposed to a single country (maybe that's why the movie is proving more popular overseas?). The cast is made up of all unknowns (to me anyway). Australia is represented.... by British actors, so the accents were nowhere close(IMHO) .

Pacific Rim Trailer (Youtube)

But if you haven't already, check it out.... this might be the first movie I actually go see again in theater.

Cheers
I'll recommend it too. We saw it in IMAX 3D and it was great - the first time 3D hasn't given me a smashing 2-day headache. I seriously can't imagine this on a little screen.

It reminded me of the Ultraman series from when I was a kid - big guy fighting monsters in suits. But it was fairly interesting and a visual & sound treat. If you have the IMAX version near you, it's worth the upcharge, just for the added brightness alone.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2013, 01:09 PM

Yeah I went to see it too. Great large robot movie. Loved the idea of 2 humans connected via the "drift" (a mind to mind connection) to control a humungous robot. The robots looked great in the movie - they definitely had good CGI effects. Basically, the robots are the stars of the movie, in my opinion. Didn't care for the main plot of the movie. It could have used better plot development and character development.

Sort of reminds me of the movie Robot Jox from the 80's. Robot Jox (1989) - IMDb It had a better plot - countries using big robots in arenas to fight for the control of land. It looked good at the time it came out, but now it's looks little cheesy and dated.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2013, 02:47 PM

How cool are the Jaeger names?

Forum Links
Forum Rules