Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.5.2 is out

10.5.2 is out (Page 3)
Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2008, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
No Safari 3.1
No AirDisk
Safari 3.1 was never intended to be part of 10.5.2. It's being seeded separately and will likely be a separate update.
Vandelay Industries

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2008, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Don't repair your permissions unless you suspect you have a permissions related problem. Duh.
I always repair them after an install, just as I've always done. And I should wait until I have problems to see if Disc Utility is working right? Good advice

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2008, 02:28 AM

It's better advice than needlessly repairing permissions after an update.
Vandelay Industries

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2008, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by AC Rempt View Post
I always repair them after an install, just as I've always done. And I should wait until I have problems to see if Disc Utility is working right? Good advice
Errr. You have no idea what repair permissions actually do, do you?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2008, 02:45 AM

Honestly, no, not in Geek-filled detail, but I get the gist, and we were told* back in the day to repair them after each install. If that's changed, it's news to me. Is it dangerous to run a repair? Or is it just a waste of time?

*by Macfixit.com, btw, and Dan Frakes (via an article). It's been something I do after reading about it on several sites as a precaution to avoid file issues.
( Last edited by AC Rempt; Feb 12, 2008 at 02:53 AM. )

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2008, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
I am seriously starting to dislike their lack of updates. They still aren't fully compatible with CS3 and they have never released an update for Leopard.
The problem is there's no real substitute. Suitcase?
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2008, 03:02 AM

Honestly, no, not in Geek-filled detail, but I get the gist, and we were told* back in the day to repair them after each install. If that's changed, it's news to me. Is it dangerous to run a repair? Or is it just a waste of time?

*by Macfixit.com, btw, and Dan Frakes (via an article). It's been something I do after reading about it on several sites as a precaution to avoid file issues.
You might want to do some research on that, because it looks more and more like Frakes doesn't have any idea what he's talking about when it comes to permissions.

Sage
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2008, 03:10 AM

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2008, 03:15 AM

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2008, 03:39 AM

Skype seems broke. Freezes on startup

I've got the freezing dock problem too. Everytime I click on a stack the dock freezes.

Not liking the Linotype problem AT ALL. Suitcase sucks blue whale wang. I live by Font Explorer

Worst. Update. Ever?

PaperNotes
Feb 12, 2008, 04:00 AM

Everything is better here on a MBP. Adobe apps launch faster, Skype is fine, Office is what it is, Safari seems to be faster even though it isn't 3.1, overall system feels smoother. Niiice.

Richard Richard
Feb 12, 2008, 04:08 AM

maybe the graphics update is for the old mac pros and the new 8800 ?
mac 4 evaah

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2008, 04:23 AM

Yeah, this is the article I was mentioning.

And fair enough. Thanks for the link. It was helpful.

I come from the old school Mac world of (gasp) 1992 where we had all sorts of voodoo to do to keep our systems running, and when I moved to OS X, I remember reading about permissions and such. Made sense then. Won't worry about it now.

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2008, 04:30 AM

So the time machine status icon rotates the opposite direction from the sync icon. I think i'm getting dizzy.

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2008, 06:27 AM

Oh & for all those still asking about the trash bug it's gone for me!
The only strange thing I experienced was after install Sync warning popped-up, "conflict in Cal"
Clicking it showed the conflicts in iCal & .Mac data... funny thing was they were both showing the same data, but I selected .Mac has correct & clicked continue.
No problems everything working fine here.

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2008, 07:15 AM

Yeah, this is the article I was mentioning.

And fair enough. Thanks for the link. It was helpful.

I come from the old school Mac world of (gasp) 1992 where we had all sorts of voodoo to do to keep our systems running, and when I moved to OS X, I remember reading about permissions and such. Made sense then. Won't worry about it now.
Hi there,
I too found both articles helpful. Mind you, I have always thought that Repairing Permissions using the Macintosh HD Disk Utility function a bit like trying to service the engine of one's car whilst driving down a motorway....
Better to use the Disk Utility/Repair Permissions function from the OS X Installation dvd or use a third party app like Onyx but only IF permissions need repairing ...
"If you don't like the heat, don't go in the kitchen!"
17" Core2duo MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4Gb/160HD Snow Leopard 10.6.8 || 15" PowerBook 1Gz 1Gb/120 HD Tiger 10.4.11|| 24" iMac 3.06Gz 4Gb/2TB HD Yosemite10.10.2

PaperNotes
Feb 12, 2008, 08:11 AM

Technical jargon aside you will find a large number of users on these MacNN forums who had a problem with the system or apps, had been told to fix permissions and when they did, their problem was fixed.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2008, 10:10 AM

You still can't sort search results by size. That sucks.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2008, 10:28 AM

So, it seems like this is generally a well-received update by most folks so far. Usually point updates have generated significantly longer threads with more back and forth. Guess that's a good sign; downloading now.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2008, 10:41 AM

None of these articles tell me a about potential drawbacks though.
To my knowledge, except a waste of time, Repair Permissions doesn't do any harm.

I agree that it is NOT a maintenance task. BUT: I have had weird problems go away after repairing permissions. Among them: kernel panics when sutting my Mac down.

So, I don't judge believers in Repair Permissions.

-t

aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2008, 10:47 AM

Although Stacks was updated to give hierarchal function it does not do this with aliases, an important omission.

I will stick with Quay as this works better in this regard.

aehaas
MBP 3.06 8G RAM 500G HD, 8 core 3.0 8G RAM 8800GT all OEM Apple. Where to buy Polarion HID Searchlights
Home Inspection, whole house approach, Sarasota Home Inspections, we are your investigators.

Andrew88088
Feb 12, 2008, 12:18 PM

The installer seemed to freeze up on me for a good 10 minutes, if not more.. couldn't move the cursor and my fan was running pretty high.. so I ended up rebooting my MB and it started booting.. then rebooted itself.. and booted all the way... I have the new options and it says 10.5.2 in my info.. but there's no record of it in the SU log. Is that normal? I then had the graphics update pop up so I assume everything went ok...

section8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2008, 12:22 PM

Looks like Linotype has updated LFE X this morning. downloading now.

Font Management - Simple, Smart, Free - Linotype FontExplorer X

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2008, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by voicebox View Post
Hi there,
I too found both articles helpful. Mind you, I have always thought that Repairing Permissions using the Macintosh HD Disk Utility function a bit like trying to service the engine of one's car whilst driving down a motorway....
Better to use the Disk Utility/Repair Permissions function from the OS X Installation dvd or use a third party app like Onyx but only IF permissions need repairing ...
Repair Permissions doesn't do anything that you couldn't do with standard tools like chmod and ln. It's not that big a deal, and there's absolutely no reason to have to boot from the install discs to do it.

There's also no reason to have to run RP after every software update.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

btober
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2008, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
I am seriously starting to dislike their lack of updates. They still aren't fully compatible with CS3 and they have never released an update for Leopard.
Looks like they've already got an update out today which, at least, fixes the problems with 10.5.2.
( Last edited by btober; Feb 12, 2008 at 12:24 PM. Reason: seems section8 beat me to it!)
«l'innovation, c'est une situation qu'on choisit parce qu'on a une passion brûlante pour quelque chose.» - steve jobs

section8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2008, 12:28 PM

BTW.

Be sure and turn off Auto Activation in Font Book so there is no conflict with LFE X.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2008, 12:57 PM

Just run down the application switcher quitting apps for the end of the day

Illustrator, InDesign, PS, Pages - boom boom boom, quit quit quit. Never had that before always takes at least 10 minutes to get CS apps to answer the call to quit along with much beachballing.

Somethimgs been optimised there!

Cold Warrior
Feb 12, 2008, 01:10 PM

I just updated my MBP C2D to 10.5.2 + graphics update. Office 2008 works fine, BTW.

Oversoul
Senior User
Feb 12, 2008, 01:35 PM

Hm, not sure what's up with my Office 2008 then. It was working fine before the update. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the reports.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2008, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Mail still has a bug where dragging a file on the dock icon causes 2 new windows to open.
I thought that was an issue that just I had...

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2008, 01:56 PM

Sadly, 10.5.2 didn't fix the problem of the keyboard not responding (as in unable to type into a field) until clicking out of the "stuck" application and then back in to it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2008, 01:57 PM

Was X11 fixed?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2008, 02:09 PM

10.5.2 doesn't make any fixes to FronRow. It still suck rocks.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Cold Warrior
Feb 12, 2008, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Was X11 fixed?
What was the issue?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2008, 02:44 PM

i'll say this:

my new mini 'sees' my new apple wireless keyboard immediately after i boot up; before, i had to keep hitting keys (lol, actually just had to wait a minute) before the mini would respond...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2008, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
What was the issue?
Lots of them.

Old pinstripe windows.
Couldn't launch X11 from Dock w/o getting multiple instances of the X11 icon.
Couldn't add statements like 'xterm -e ssh bla.com' to the Applications menu.
Window focus botched.
When X11 windows were behind other windows, clicking on the X11 icon in the Dock didn't bring them to the foreground.
Yellow cursor bug.

Need I go on?

Cold Warrior
Feb 12, 2008, 03:06 PM

Thanks. I hadn't followed X11 closely.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2008, 03:31 PM

Old pinstripe windows.
Inactive windows will show subtle hints of pin-stripes, but active windows show brushed platinum look, and not the Unified look sported by the Finder and other apps.

My understanding of X11 in Leopard is that it works differently than Tiger. You don't have to run X11 separately anymore, since it's integrated (for lack of a better word) into the OS. That is, simply running "xterm" from Terminal.app will cause the X11 app to launch. This also works with remote X11 forwarding, which is pretty neat.

Customize... is a menu item under Applications, and you can pass arguments to the command list when adding a new entry.

Window focus botched.
Haven't tested enough to notice.

When X11 windows were behind other windows, clicking on the X11 icon in the Dock didn't bring them to the foreground.
Not sure what apps and windows you deal with, but for the X11 apps I use (forwarded X11 sessions), clicking the Dock brings the foreground app (from X11's perspective) and its windows to the front. Apps I regularly use include BakBone NetVault, Dell's OpenManage and StorageManager Java/X11 apps, and the like. Not sure if remote X behaves differently, though, since this is how I use them.

Yellow cursor bug.
Still an issue, especially for "alternate" cursors.

Need I go on?
Some X11 apps *refuse* to be transfered to a different monitor when used in extended/screen-spanning mode. I have 2 apps which only go so far as 3/4 of the way into the other monitor when the mouse hits a magical "border".

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 12, 2008, 03:42 PM

10.5.2 fixed the computers listed under shared. They display all the time now rather than just when I was connected to the VPN at work.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2008, 03:56 PM

I just installed the 10.5.2 update on a machine here and tested X11. Here's what I've seen:

Old pinstripe windows.
Still there. When an X11 window goes to the the background you easily see that this isn't the unified Leopard skin.

Fixed with 10.5.2.

Fixed with 10.5.2.

Window focus botched.
Still broken. My remote X11 windows lose their focus a lot. And often they don't regain it either.

Fixed in 10.5.2.

Yellow cursor bug.
Still a huge PITA! Since this is apparently a bug related to endianness it's been around at least since the PPC->Intel transition. I can't imagine Apple hasn't been able to reproduce the bug and find a fix. How many more bug reports do I or my colleagues here at work have to write on this topic until somebody in Cupertino finally gets into gear?

macuser9909
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2008, 05:23 PM

Is anyone else having a slow startup after the update? I feel as if it's a significant difference than before.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2008, 05:29 PM

We don't shut down our computers.

dustrho
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2008, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by macuser9909 View Post
Is anyone else having a slow startup after the update? I feel as if it's a significant difference than before.
My MBP seems to take a little bit longer to boot up, but once it's running everything seems to be running slightly quicker. Even trade off I suppose.

Chris Rhoads / Forum Admin & Webmaster of Sandtroopers.com

FireWire
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2008, 05:53 PM

Installed the update - after repairing the permissions, ha!! - and I didn't notice any problem. Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign all work fine.

athos_uk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2008, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by aehaas View Post
Although Stacks was updated to give hierarchal function it does not do this with aliases, an important omission.

I will stick with Quay as this works better in this regard.

aehaas

I know - it's a pain. A lot of the folders in my dock have aliases and I want them to behave the way they did in 10.4. How hard can that be! Still, I suppose it's better than it was.

What is Quay, and does it restore the functionality?

On the plus side, it's a relief to be shot of the translucent menu bar.

aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2008, 06:56 PM

They just had an update on VersionTracker:

Quay 1.1b2 software download - Mac OS X - VersionTracker

And it works in 10.5.2 without interference. It is great stuff, does exactly as you would need.

aehaas
MBP 3.06 8G RAM 500G HD, 8 core 3.0 8G RAM 8800GT all OEM Apple. Where to buy Polarion HID Searchlights
Home Inspection, whole house approach, Sarasota Home Inspections, we are your investigators.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Feb 12, 2008, 08:25 PM

I noticed this curiousity as well. It is interesting as Stacks as originally released was best used by making folders full of aliases to other folders, and I adapted my behaviour to work with this. The improvements are that for sure, and maybe they think that this treatment of aliases keeps the distinction clearer?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2008, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
We don't shut down our computers.
We don't, either.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2008, 09:59 PM

No problems with the update on my first-gen MacBook. Office runs the same, Safari runs the same. The Time Machine menubar item is cool, helps let my dock breathe a little more. And showing a stack as a folder? Pure genius. Now I can have my Applications folder in my Dock without having to stare at my Address Book icon all the time. Two thumbs up!

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2008, 10:17 PM

I am thrilled to report at least 2 of the awful spaces bugs are still in .2

Forum Links
Forum Rules