Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New MacBook Pros are Released!!

New MacBook Pros are Released!!
Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2008, 09:45 AM

The Apple Store (U.S.) - MacBook Pro

Yes, they have multi-touch...

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2008, 10:14 AM

Pretty minimal upgrade I suppose, but the multi-touch looks cool. It sure is handy on my iPhone.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

iamnotmad
Senior User
Feb 26, 2008, 10:25 AM

ugh, weaksauce update (sorry to complain - I at least wanted the MBA keyboard in the MBP).

Did they put the Penryn in the MB even? Where can I find full specs with this info?

Also, l2 cache is only 3MB now, was 4MB?

Still no LED in MB?

Unfortunately this seems like a stop-gap update.

thanks.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2008, 10:25 AM

For the MacBooks, it's a nice bump in capacity and speed. Basically for the same price of my MacBook last year, you are now getting solid bump in CPU performance, double the RAM, and double the storage. I'd almost have to say that with the top end model now, you could go without any additional upgrades for quite a while.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2008, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by iamnotmad View Post
ugh, weaksauce update (sorry to complain - I at least wanted the MBA keyboard in the MBP).

Did they put the Penryn in the MB even? Where can I find full specs with this info?

Also, l2 cache is only 3MB now, was 4MB?

Still no LED in MB?

Unfortunately this seems like a stop-gap update.

thanks.
No LED on the previous Macbook was a no-go for me. I'm amazed that they didn't put it in the new updated ones.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2008, 10:33 AM

Decent upgrade for the MacBook. Pretty boring as far as the MBP goes. The new grapics seem pretty nice though. Why no LED screen though for the MacBook?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2008, 10:51 AM

Seems like a decent incremental update to the MBP line. Not enough for me to be tempted to sell my June 07 MPB, though a radical change would be needed for that to occur.

Based on prior remarks that there's been issues on LED display availability lead me to believe that is the cause or the price because the economy of scale has not reduced the LED panel prices enough to make it a viable replacement in the MB line.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2008, 10:57 AM

While this is a nice little upgrade to the MBP, thought not a lot though. It seems that the middle model of the last revision is now the bottom model of this line-up (with a bigger HD and multi-touch).

I can only hope (and I know it won't happen) that they add multi-touch to the older models via a software update. (Though I honestly don't know when I would use multi-touch on a laptop. Especially since I use a mouse nearly constantly.)

Though to do like that 512 MB GPU goodness. My 256 MBs is crying.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2008, 11:04 AM

I think its a great update personally. Double the video memory, fatter hard drive, nice speed bump, multitouch. I could really make use of that big hard drive. . . This makes the mbp a little above the pack in terms of competition right now. Still, I don't think I'm going to upgrade just yet from my first generation mbp since it works ok(when its not in for repairs, lol)

tridentinecanon
Feb 26, 2008, 12:28 PM

Wait...wait...waiting for an "all new completely redesigned" MBP before I buy.

I think the update is great for both the MBP and the MB.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2008, 12:36 PM

This looks like the update I've been waiting for.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2008, 12:37 PM

i think that it is a good upgrade...
double video memory, faster video memory
faster processors
faster larger hard drives
led's and high res glossy!
i am trying to talk my lady into letting me get one today!
if my store gets them in.

bencurtis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2008, 12:47 PM

Reasonable mid-cycle upgrade, but frankly I want something more solidly built, even if it ends up being a little thicker, and why on earth don't they add an eSata port to these things?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2008, 12:47 PM

The low-end 15" MBP is a bad deal. The high-end MBP received a tiny update. As I already detailed in this thread, IMHO this was a pretty lame update.

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2008, 01:35 PM

Have they changed the cd/dvd drives in the macbooks to worse ones? I thought the ones before were 8x superdrives?
Macbook mid 2007: 2Gb Ram, Intel core 2 duo, 2.16GHz, 500Gb HDD, Snow Leopard 10.6.6
HTC HD7 (Windows Phone 7!)
iPod 5G 80GB
iPod Mini 4GB (Blue)

klb5090
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2008, 01:45 PM

A worthwhile upgrade for the MBP i think, maybe not a major revision but an upgrade at that. Definitely not means for me to sell my June 07 MBP 2.2GHZ either but incentive for some people to bite the bullet

asodamiac
Senior User
Feb 26, 2008, 02:00 PM

How big is this graphics card update? I know numbers don't always mean everything. Is this a substantial upgrade?
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2008, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by asodamiac View Post
How big is this graphics card update? I know numbers don't always mean everything. Is this a substantial upgrade?
Yeah, it's a pretty big upgrade.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2008, 02:05 PM

Cancelled my MBA order and ordered the 2.5ghz MBP 17" LED w/200 gb 7200rpm HD.

Couldn't see paying $250 for a .1ghz speed upgrade. Not worth it for a 4 percent increase in CPU clock speed.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2008, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
Cancelled my MBA order and ordered the 2.5ghz MBP 17" LED w/200 gb 7200rpm HD.

Couldn't see paying $250 for a .1ghz speed upgrade. Not worth it for a 4 percent increase in CPU clock speed.
Good call. Yeah, the only thing that $250 seems to get you now is bragging rights.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2008, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by tridentinecanon View Post
Wait...wait...waiting for an "all new completely redesigned"
I believe you'll be waiting a very long time. I don't think apple has any plans or is in any rush to redesign the cases. The current enclosures for both the MB and MBP still look sharp and more importantly function well.

tridentinecanon
Feb 26, 2008, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
I believe you'll be waiting a very long time. I don't think apple has any plans or is in any rush to redesign the cases. The current enclosures for both the MB and MBP still look sharp and more importantly function well.
Agreed, but hat's fine. I'll wait. I think my 17" 2.4 will do me just fine until then.

Again, I like the upgrades. It's good to see Apple is frequently updating their systems to the latest clock speed.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2008, 02:22 PM

Cancelled my MBA order and ordered the 2.5ghz MBP 17" LED w/200 gb 7200rpm HD
huh, you went for an ultra-portable tiny machine to a 17" behemoth. these laptops are geared for two separate market segments. Why did you think you needed the tiny MBA then opted for the 17" monster laptop.

btw, I'm not knocking either one, just that these machines are on the exact opposite spectrum of size and target market.

Kvasir
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2008, 02:26 PM

I'm happy to see the LED screens on the 17", but why only for the high-res? Why not the default screens as well (basically I'd just prefer 1680x1050 native - that seems a perfect res. for a 17" screen to my eyes. 1920x1200 just starts to get a bit too squinty for me).

Still, I am looking to replace my g4 15" this year, and the LED screen was about the only thing making me wait on an updated 17", so I'm pleased.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2008, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
I can only hope (and I know it won't happen) that they add multi-touch to the older models via a software update.
You're correct that it won't happen. Multi-touch requires new hardware.

mac redneck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2008, 03:00 PM

The refurb black macbook looks to be a good deal now at $1049. Better specs than the new 2.1 model, $50 cheaper, faster processor(2.2), more cache(4mb), superdrive instead of combo drive, bigger hard drive(160gb), and it comes with a remote. Plus it's black!
iMac 24", 2.4 C2D, 1TB, 4GB, 10.5.7
Late 2008 Macbook Pro 2.4 C2D, 500GB, 4GB, 10.5.7

msuper69
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2008, 03:02 PM

huh, you went for an ultra-portable tiny machine to a 17" behemoth. these laptops are geared for two separate market segments. Why did you think you needed the tiny MBA then opted for the 17" monster laptop.

btw, I'm not knocking either one, just that these machines are on the exact opposite spectrum of size and target market.
I'm funny like that. I like all kinds of high-tech gizmos (especially the Apple kind of goodies). I don't really fit into a particular market segment. So the abrupt switch may seem odd, but if you knew me, it wouldn't seem so drastic.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Feb 26, 2008, 03:04 PM

There's a lot of moaning going on at AI re the updates. I like it here better .

Personally I was thinking I might upgrade my 1.5GHz 12" G4PB with this update, before the fact, and I'm still thinking it after the fact. It's not so much the updates, which are still decent, in terms of what comes standard - it's more the price points. Yesterday a 2.4GHz MBP with 4GB RAM and a 200GB 7200RPM HD would have cost me $NZ5135 including GST; today basically the same machine would cost me $NZ4028 including GST, and with a newer, shinier, better processor at that .

I would have liked to have seen a higher res option on the 15" screen, but having the 256MB graphics on the baseline model is a pretty good 'instead' feature. It used to be said that the 128 and 256 didn't actually perform that differently; now I think that the decision is a bit easier anyway, 512 seems most unnecessary .

hedmisten
Feb 26, 2008, 03:19 PM

The upgrades are nice, but i dont think they will necessarily increase more sales. Most people by a mac because it's a MAC. It is nice to see quicker processors and memory upgrade though.
08 Whitebook 2.2 2.0.120.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2008, 03:33 PM

It looks like a decent upgrade to me, although I haven't been following MBPs very much.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

solofx7
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2008, 03:42 PM

the graphics are the same, but it is double the memory and from what i have been told, significantly faster memory.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2008, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by hedmisten View Post
The upgrades are nice, but i dont think they will necessarily increase more sales. Most people by a mac because it's a MAC. It is nice to see quicker processors and memory upgrade though.
Most small upgrades aren't made to increase sales. They keep the product current and sales coming in. If Apple never did these small upgrades, the MacBook Pro would still be at 1.83 GHz. Nobody would buy that.

hedmisten
Feb 26, 2008, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Most small upgrades aren't made to increase sales. They keep the product current and sales coming in. If Apple never did these small upgrades, the MacBook Pro would still be at 1.83 GHz. Nobody would buy that.
nobody would Buy that...keyword Buy=Sales
08 Whitebook 2.2 2.0.120.

sogbrightlight
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2008, 05:08 PM

I saw that they finally made the baselinea 256MB graphx card. Now I pose the question of whether or not the 512MB card is even needed unless I was going to be using huge external monitors. It seems that having the 512MB is a waste almost. and the processor speed differences are so minute that it's not even worth the extra dough.
Bla Bla Bla

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2008, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by asodamiac View Post
Pretty small. I don't think the 8600M GPU is fast enough to really see any advantage from it.

freudling
Banned
Feb 26, 2008, 06:19 PM

This is such a marketing gimmic. Unless you are a heavy user of industrial applications like AUTOCAD, Photoshop, Final Cut Pro... these upgrades are worthless. It is all about having enough RAM and an intel processor under Leopard. Because I don't use industrial programs, I will never notice much difference between my second generation MBP and these new ones. Boot times may be faster, and a few other things, but nothing that would make me upgrade. Apple just simply needs to keep their sales up. This is the problem with companies. Revenues soar, they grow and expand, then the economy becomes recessed and they have to scramble to get you to keep buying or else everything implodes.

I tried the MacBook Air and there was no speed difference between it and my second G MBP: none. Give us what we want: a new case design with hints of the MBA in regards to the MacBook Pro and MacBook, with a MacBook Air keyboard across the board. The Aluminum design is impersonal and dated: it needs to be changed.

I tell you what my dear sir... keep your old rig, and slam an SSD drive in there, even if it is only 32 GB and boot from it (i.e. PC Card slot or Express Card Slot). That will improve performance for the little things that we all want improved, not a new graphics card or a few hundred MHZ more processor.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2008, 08:20 PM

I'm funny like that. I like all kinds of high-tech gizmos (especially the Apple kind of goodies). I don't really fit into a particular market segment. So the abrupt switch may seem odd, but if you knew me, it wouldn't seem so drastic.
Yeah I always find 'target markets' to be totally fictional creations of marketing people that don't actually create or build anything useful. I'm in the car industry and hear about different markets all the time as if there are groups of people out there deciding whether they want an Accord or Camry or Malibu but in the real world I see people deciding between a HUMMER and a MINI (the only relation being that the names are all caps) and selling their Scion for a CTS-V. I don't think there are markets for cars or computers.... I think each individual decides what they want based on their mood or past experiences or a million other things. Imagine if all VW drivers really were somehow similar or there really was a different type of person that would be interested in a MacBookAir than a MacBookPro17. I think it's all poppycock.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2008, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by hedmisten View Post
nobody would Buy that...keyword Buy=Sales
Yes, but not increased sales. This update's purpose is to keep the line fresh.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2008, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
I can only hope (and I know it won't happen) that they add multi-touch to the older models via a software update.
You're correct that it won't happen. Multi-touch requires new hardware.
How can it require new hardware? My MacBookPro can detect all kinds of movements of multiple fingers for scrolling etc. I bet a little software upgrade will do the trick but I think someone will have to hack it out of the new ones.... I don't think Apple will give it away when it's one of the only reasons to upgrade!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2008, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
How can it require new hardware? My MacBookPro can detect all kinds of movements of multiple fingers for scrolling etc. I bet a little software upgrade will do the trick but I think someone will have to hack it out of the new ones.... I don't think Apple will give it away when it's one of the only reasons to upgrade!
I would think that it is software as well. For example, there is software available that gives multiple finger scrolling and right clicking for older portables that don't support it. Doesn't seem that hard for Apple to do.

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2008, 09:28 PM

As the MacBook and MacBook Pro have been updated on the same date, hopefully that will hold true going forward.

Six months is the average time it takes for Apple to update a model.

So, come the end of August is when I'd expect the next update. It's also when I hope they'll introduce the new design Pros, possibly even consolidate the line into simple MacBooks, all looking pretty much like the Air, only a little thicker to accomodate extra ports, larger hard drives and optical drives.

Of course, having said that, they'll probably wait until October or November, so as to clear the old stock by selling to all the folk going back to school. But I do not replace my May 2006 MacBook until I graduate in July 2010, so I'm in no hurry ;P
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

Full-Auto
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2008, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
I think its a great update personally. Double the video memory, fatter hard drive, nice speed bump, multitouch. I could really make use of that big hard drive. . . This makes the mbp a little above the pack in terms of competition right now. Still, I don't think I'm going to upgrade just yet from my first generation mbp since it works ok(when its not in for repairs, lol)
I'm with you, I'm glad I waited. Heck, my new MBP will be faster than my iMac 2.8 Extreme by a long shot... I just wish the iMac's could be had with faster video.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Feb 26, 2008, 10:54 PM

Well, such minor case changes for the MacBook Pro and such incremental changes for the MacBook could signal case changes when Montevina is released, perhaps?

The MacBook wasn't supposed to be updated until May, so this could be Intel telling Apple that, shrunken Core 2 Duo aside, they're dropping all 65 nm processors, thereby forcing Apple to update the MacBook.

The MacBook Pro is long overdue for an update, which should have popped up last December. What happened instead was the additional option of a 2.6 GHz C2D.

So now it's really anyone's guess as to what's going to happen next.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2008, 11:47 PM

I've been reading that the Air and iPod both have a $3 multi-touch chip on them for the special touch features. Seems that those of us without said chip are SOL.

Though it sucks that apple didn't include a $3 chip on the Macbooks.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2008, 12:50 AM

GDD3 memory in the graphics chip is what i have been told makes the difference here

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2008, 01:49 AM

The new MBPro and MBAir have a newer/better touchpad controller chip that the previous MBP and MB lack. It enables them to go from basic two finger gestures to the more complicated two and three finger gestures.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2008, 02:18 AM

MDuell:
Looks like your get-work-done setup is a MBA with 23" CD. That combo work well for your productivity?
(I've wondered about the "mini-DVI" connector)

What you use it for mostly?
(I do web design & use PB w/ 17" CD for one Dreamweaver, one browser display - and am thinking about upgrades).
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2008, 02:49 AM

Holy ****, Apple updates it's products and you guys STILL continue to bitch.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2008, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by solofx7 View Post
GDD3 memory in the graphics chip is what i have been told makes the difference here
That was there before already.

The point is that unless you use a very special set of apps 512 MB over 256 MB VRAM will be of no noticeable difference. It's a marketing thing. 98% of the users will not see a benefit from it. OTOH Apple chose to use cheaper CPUs than on the previous models. The clock speed and cache difference unfortunately are things many users notice.

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2008, 05:23 AM

This update is a deal-maker for me i have been waiting for this one. Top end stock 15" for me thank you very much

Im coming off a 17" MBP 2.16GHz CD. It has cpu whine, buzzing fan, and a HD that clicks every minute/half minute... I am so glad i will be removing this machine from my life. I can feel my stress levels dropping as i type this post lol

Im glad the look and feel hasnt changed. i didnt want the MBA keyboard on it as i like the current MBP keyboard. The new trackpad is totally sick!

Lets hope the heat production is low and the machine stays quiet!

Things i have noticed... cheaper to upgrade ram to 4Gb? no option to a 320Gb HD?? does anyone know what brand HDs are being used for the MBP?

I want to get RAM on my own... how do you guys go about it? I mean... it has 2x1Gb... are these both removable? and do most places let you trade in your stock ram or do you have to sell it on your own?

happy 'wallet/bank account' bashing!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules