Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook: Games that run well given its integrated graphics?

MacBook: Games that run well given its integrated graphics?
idykenano
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2008, 11:03 PM

There is a Macbook purchase in my future (~6 months or less) and I'd like to know what games I might be able to play on it due to the integrated graphics card. Specifically, does Lego Star Wars run? Due to the slow processor of my current setup, my periodical gaming is limited to Warcraft II and Star Wars Droidworks in classic mode. The Macbook will be a huge step up and I plan to outfit it heavily with ram, so I'd like to add a nice game to my collection. Suggestions?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2008, 12:30 AM

Lego Star Wars should be fine. WoW, Quake 4, Unreal Tournament 2004 are all fine on the MacBook... Prey and Doom 3 not so much.

idykenano  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2008, 01:27 AM

thanks bud.

doolally
Mar 6, 2008, 06:48 AM

Dominions 3 runs well on the MacBook, and is the last game you'll ever need. It's deep and nuanced, rich and flexible (plus, you don't need the disc in the drive to play it).
--
"What is it you see, in the horizon's bruised smear, that cannot be blotted out by your raised hand?"
www.thecrookedcrow.com

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Mar 22, 2008, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Lego Star Wars should be fine. WoW, Quake 4, Unreal Tournament 2004 are all fine on the MacBook... Prey and Doom 3 not so much.
I ran Unreal Tournament 2004 on my Macbook when I had Tiger and I wanted to throw something out the window, It ran so laggy. I haven't tried to run it on my upgraded Leopard box yet, but I'm assuming that it'll run the same.

----

I too however am looking for a new game to play on my Macbook. I am trying to get rid of this bootcamp partition so I can be gone with windows totally. I am looking for an ok shooter and a racing game. I know there isn't too much out there, but if anyone has any good experiences please share =]

Thanks in advanced!

Rand
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2008, 09:48 PM

civilization IV, Age of Empires III run great. Plus a bit older games like Starcraft, Warcraft III, and even Diablo II run really well as well.

sogbrightlight
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2008, 02:59 PM

Yea man play Warcraft III get DOTA for it and you'll have plenty of fun.
Bla Bla Bla

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2008, 07:14 PM

I play World of Warcraft quite a bit on my BlackBook, and it runs respectably with the settings tuned down a bit. It is still very playable, and I have a great time just like I did with my home-built custom gaming PC (which, incidentally, sits on the same desk as this MacBook).

I'm just waiting to be able to get another copy of XP or Vista so I can play Steam games like Team Fortress 2.
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2008, 09:50 PM

Droidworks? Wow, I didn't know anybody actually bought that besides me! That's awesome. Sounds like you might be a bit of a Star Wars fan (I sure am), so I'll let you know that Empire at War is very playable on the 2.16 GHz MacBook that I use.

ooninay
Mar 23, 2008, 10:20 PM

World of Warcraft with settings turned down quite a bit will run smoothly. However, the fan will run high.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2008, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by ooninay View Post
World of Warcraft with settings turned down quite a bit will run smoothly. However, the fan will run high.
Yes, unfortunately it does. But, I'll take a few more RPM's on the fan in order to play my favorite game.

the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

haxorjoe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2008, 11:25 PM

I'm pretty sure I saw some YouTube videos of Half Life 2 running on MacBooks and Mac Minis. Didn't have any first hand experience with it though.

cb13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2008, 01:03 PM

Hi,

can anybody comment on whether Tiger Woods PGA 2005 works on the MacBook (1MB and GMA chipset). By accident I bought PGA 2008, which did not work.
Thanks

cb

Forum Links
Forum Rules