Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > The MacBook Air IS the new Macbook form factor redesign/facelift...

The MacBook Air IS the new Macbook form factor redesign/facelift...
sartor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2008, 01:12 PM

I've been waiting for the Macbook to get an overall redesign or facelift of it's form factor. But lately, I thought the Macbook Air could in fact BE the new redesign for the Macbook! In otherwords.. there will NOT be another MacBook redesign from what we know it now. It might get a faster CPU/Dvd drive/ more memory etc, but the form factor will stay the same!

Eventually, prices will fall on the Air, and the Macbook high end will drop way down in price - to the point where it's the low end MacBook.. with the Air models being the 2 upper tier Macbooks...

Discuss!

Try not to flame this newbie too much! Thanks! ;-)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2008, 04:12 PM

The MBA is not and won't be a replacement for the MB.

The MB form factor will stay around for quite another while (the aluminum design of the pros is now in its fifth year).

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2008, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post

The MB form factor will stay around for quite another while (the aluminum design of the pros is now in its fifth year).
I agree completely.
Macbook mid 2007: 2Gb Ram, Intel core 2 duo, 2.16GHz, 500Gb HDD, Snow Leopard 10.6.6
HTC HD7 (Windows Phone 7!)
iPod 5G 80GB
iPod Mini 4GB (Blue)

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2008, 04:35 PM

The form factor may stay around, but Apple's going to transition away from plastic cases. It will be interesting to see how they separate the MB and MBP design wise.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2008, 05:12 PM

I don't see the MB or MBA (or MBP) prices falling in the next couple years.

hedmisten
Mar 12, 2008, 09:25 PM

I'm not sure that I see them going away from the plastic cases. I think that Apple knows that Macbooks and MBP are a good thing, and they will not change them up very much for now. The Air will also stay high in price until the demand goes down. I personally went with the macbook because of its plastic case, especially since i'm not crazy about the aluminum cases.

08 Whitebook 2.2 2.0.120.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2008, 09:52 PM

Apple can't just kill the MBP line.

The power users need the features and ports, neither which are available for the MBA.
And you still need an entry line for students and home users.

I don't see Apple reducing it to two lines but keeping it at three.

-t

doolally
Mar 12, 2008, 10:18 PM

I think the MBP design is almost perfect and would hate to see them try and make it lighter or mess with how sturdy it feels.

The MacBook just don't feel very well built, plus there's the issue of warm polycarbonate plastic off-gassing into my groin (okay, I guess, if you don't want to have kids ). My 2001 iBook feels more sturdy than the MacBooks.
--
"What is it you see, in the horizon's bruised smear, that cannot be blotted out by your raised hand?"
www.thecrookedcrow.com

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2008, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by hedmisten View Post
I'm not sure that I see them going away from the plastic cases. I think that Apple knows that Macbooks and MBP are a good thing, and they will not change them up very much for now. The Air will also stay high in price until the demand goes down. I personally went with the macbook because of its plastic case, especially since i'm not crazy about the aluminum cases.

The plastic will be going away because of the company's green push: plastic is petroleum based. Just look at where they are trending: iPods, nanos, shuffles, and iMacs are metal based now.

Look for Apple to lead the way with this. It might not be metal...but it won't be plastic. Composites, maybe.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2008, 02:44 AM

Plus the MacBooks just look cheap at this point, IMO. Cheaper than my Inspiron. Cheaper than my clamshell even. But the MBA? It will remain a niche product.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2008, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Plus the MacBooks just look cheap at this point, IMO. Cheaper than my Inspiron. Cheaper than my clamshell even. But the MBA? It will remain a niche product.
I think the white ones look cheap, but the black MB still looks good. There's cheap plastic, and then there's cheap plastic -- Apple always uses quality plastic, imo.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2008, 11:19 AM

(the aluminum design of the pros is now in its fifth year).
To be more precise, it is five years and two months old, so this is the beginning of its sixth year, something without precedent.

doolally
Mar 13, 2008, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by k squared View Post
I think the white ones look cheap, but the black MB still looks good. There's cheap plastic, and then there's cheap plastic -- Apple always uses quality plastic, imo.
Yeah, but it's just not sustainable. Even S0NY uses bioplastic (derived from corn and a plant called kenaf) to make the Walkman out of. Petroluem-based plastic is deadly on so many levels - economic, health, disposal - that we need to get off it.
--
"What is it you see, in the horizon's bruised smear, that cannot be blotted out by your raised hand?"
www.thecrookedcrow.com

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2008, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Pierre B. View Post
To be more precise, it is five years and two months old, so this is the beginning of its sixth year, something without precedent.
You're absolutely right! The design was actually launched with the 12" and 17" PB which appeared a generation before the 15" went aluminum; IOW it's from January 2003 rather than September 2003. That's over five years. Amazing!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2008, 06:18 AM

Edit: I read bad.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 07:35 AM

I expect new, thinner, MB and MBP designs in aluminum in the next 6 months. However, I don't think they will resemble the MBA in curves as it is wasteful of space.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

tridentinecanon
Mar 19, 2008, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by k squared View Post
Look for Apple to lead the way with this. It might not be metal...but it won't be plastic. Composites, maybe.
The trash cans at my local post office say they are made with recycled newspaper (although they are as hard as polymer). I'm not a save the planet guru, but I thought that was pretty neat. Perhaps it would be cheaper than recycled metals.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2008, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by tridentinecanon View Post
The trash cans at my local post office say they are made with recycled newspaper (although they are as hard as polymer). I'm not a save the planet guru, but I thought that was pretty neat. Perhaps it would be cheaper than recycled metals.
It's not so much "save the planet." I can't say for certain, but with the rise of petroleum prices, there has to be a tipping pointing for plastic produced products. Not only does it makes products more expensive to produce, it will raise prices for consumers too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules