Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mass Removal of Spotlight Comments?

Mass Removal of Spotlight Comments?
megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2008, 01:10 PM

I've just downloaded 317 files using Speed Download and it has added Spotlight Comments to every one, saying where they came from.

Is there any way of stripping this data in one go, rather than getting info on each one and removing it one at a time? It it could preserve the original modification dates, that would be nice, but is not 100% necessary.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2008, 01:25 PM

Automator

Recreate this workflow (making sure "Append to existing comment" is disabled), add the files you want the comments to be removed from to the first action and run the workflow.

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2008, 01:33 PM

Nicely done, thank you. Adding a new "empty" comment is the same as removing the old one? Or the stub, for want of a better word, remains?
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2008, 01:44 PM

Looking at a file with a in such a way removed Spotlight comment using xattr in Terminal it actually looks like "a stub" remains. Why would that matter for you? Spotlight comments are not stored in the resource fork.

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2008, 06:11 PM

Strictly speaking, the comments themselves don't matter either, it's just because I don't have them on the other files I downloaded from the same site (using Safari) that I was interested in removing them. Thanks again.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2008, 06:13 PM

Safari also adds the origin of downloaded files by the way. It just doesn't put it into the Spotlight comments. It adds them as a separate extended file attribute.

Forum Links
Forum Rules