Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Buy an iPod touch now, does 2.0 software come with it?

Buy an iPod touch now, does 2.0 software come with it?
megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2008, 08:23 AM

I, and I think most others, were under the impression that, once the 2.0 software was released for the iPod touch, though exisiting touch owners would have to buy it separately, if we were to buy a new iPod touch in the shop, it would either have the 2.0 software pre-installed or, at the very least, we would be able to download it for free.

However, there doesn't seem to be any official word on this, and on the iPod touch page itself it says:

Buy the iPhone 2.0 Software Update for iPod touch and get access to hundreds of games and applications on the App Store.
Which leads me to believe that, at least until the iPod touch is next updated (with larger capacities or a new shell etc.), the 2.0 software will remain an extra add-on, not part of the iPod touch proper.

Does anyone know better / have any thoughts?
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2008, 09:35 AM

Considering the iPod touch stock in stores probably didn't change overnight, I would bank on them not having 2.0 for awhile, possibly even until new ones come out. That could change of course, depending on how Apple feels.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2008, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
Considering the iPod touch stock in stores probably didn't change overnight, I would bank on them not having 2.0 for awhile, possibly even until new ones come out. That could change of course, depending on how Apple feels.
Right, of course, but for those who buy an iPod touch from today onwards, do you think Apple will still consider the 2.0 software an optional add-on, not provide it as a free download?
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2008, 10:39 AM

It will come with all new iPod Touches. If you happen to get one with the old software, I'm sure you could ask Apple for a free update or a refund on the $10 and they would give it to you. And honestly, if you're paying several hundred dollars for the thing, what's another 10?

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2008, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
It will come with all new iPod Touches. If you happen to get one with the old software, I'm sure you could ask Apple for a free update or a refund on the $10 and they would give it to you.
As I say, that's what I had assumed, but the wording on the Apple website, combined with no official statement to that effect, is what makes me think they may leave the 2.0 software off the touch for the forseeable future.

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
And honestly, if you're paying several hundred dollars for the thing, what's another 10?
Of course, and if it ends up being the case that it has to be bought separately I will do so, no problem, as the App store is the reason I'm finally going to buy a real-live iPod (the shuffle not really counting as such). I shall wait and see, I guess.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2008, 11:37 AM

I see what you're saying, but I bet they just haven't updated the page yet for new purchasers. It just doesn't make any sense to sell the thing and then make people immediately pay $10 for an update, and it doesn't fit past practice. I'd bet anything that they're just really busy today and updating that web page isn't on their priority list.

Forum Links
Forum Rules