Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Waiting to upgrade?

Waiting to upgrade?
Wayland
Jul 30, 2009, 01:54 PM

I have an old ibook g4 1.33 ghz that is about ready to be retired. I'll probably pick up a low end macbook pro 13" after snow leopard is out and revised once. Anyone else in the same boat as me? I am hoping for an overall speed increase of about 3x.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2009, 04:02 PM

3x? 10x.

Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2009, 04:09 PM

or more.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jul 30, 2009, 05:32 PM

The current Macbook Pros will be noticeably faster than your current iBook and there really isn't much of a reason to wait for Snow Leopard because I've been told that it will only be a $29 upgrade if you already have Leopard.

It's up to you if you want to wait. I don't think much will change once Snow Leopard is out.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2009, 05:52 PM

Much more. At least 200x.

And it comes with 16h battery life under heavy load too.

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 30, 2009, 06:26 PM

I'm waiting for the MacBook Air to have a 256GB 1.8" 5mm SSD and 4GB RAM inside of it. Once that happens, hopefully this October/November, then I shall buy one.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

Wayland  (op)
Jul 30, 2009, 06:30 PM

Eh, I think everyone is overestimating the new machines and underestimating the g4. The most intensive process I do is the occasional dvd movie conversion (that I own of course). Using the latest Handbrake it takes about 15 hours for a two hour movie on my ibook. On my dad's 2008 imac, it takes about 4 hours. So it is about 3-4 times faster, but definitely not 10 times. For simple stuff, like web browsing or Word/Excel, there is very little noticeable difference.

Having said that, the sound on my ibook sometimes cuts out, it would be nice to be able to play starcraft 2, video can be laggy, and I can't wait to upgrade!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2009, 06:37 PM

Compressing 9GB DVD to single-layer on G4 --> 90 Minutes
Compressing 9GB DVD to single layer on Core 2 Duo --> 10 minutes

Also, I can rip entire movies at high quality (handbrake) on my iMac and it only takes about 45 minutes....why does it take 4 hours on your dad's iMac?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2009, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Wayland View Post
For simple stuff, like web browsing or Word/Excel, there is very little noticeable difference.
My buddy has a iBook G4 1.42Ghz, and it's slow as molasses (even with maximun RAM) browsing compared to my 07 iMac.

Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2009, 07:19 PM

Yeah, there will definitely be a noticeable difference in pretty much everything.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2009, 07:21 PM

Of course there will be a difference. Ripping a DVD to iPhone format on my G5 takes 8-10 hours. 15 minutes max on my MBP. Everything else is amazingly faster.

BTW, is Wayland a reference to the Thrawn Trilogy?

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 30, 2009, 07:53 PM

We got my wife a Unibody MacBook just before the new, integrated battery ones came out. It beats the ever lovin' snot out of her 800MHz G4 iBook (max memory and all). And we haven't maxed out the RAM in the MB yet, either. Go for it-you'll be very pleased.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cold Warrior
Jul 30, 2009, 08:15 PM

Yes, I'm waiting on SL. At that point I'll sell my MBP (late 2006) and get a new or refurb 13" MBP.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2009, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
The current Macbook Pros will be noticeably faster than your current iBook and there really isn't much of a reason to wait for Snow Leopard because I've been told that it will only be a $29 upgrade if you already have Leopard.

It's up to you if you want to wait. I don't think much will change once Snow Leopard is out.
Well, if he buys a Mac today, SL will only be $9.95.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Wayland  (op)
Jul 31, 2009, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Compressing 9GB DVD to single-layer on G4 --> 90 Minutes
Compressing 9GB DVD to single layer on Core 2 Duo --> 10 minutes

Also, I can rip entire movies at high quality (handbrake) on my iMac and it only takes about 45 minutes....why does it take 4 hours on your dad's iMac?
It only takes 45 minutes!?!? That is amazing! I was ecstatic with 4 hours vs 15. Maybe I downloaded the ppc version for his intel imac?

Also, for a fact, office v.x launches faster and is more responsive than office 2008 mac. Web browsing is faster on the imac, but for most things the difference is modest.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2009, 01:20 AM

I just made the jump from my old 1.2ghz ibook G4 to the low end 13"MBP and the difference is staggering. It is like no other hardware upgrade I have ever gone through.

I wouldn't wait at all if you like the MBP just get it now and enjoy the extra few months of having it and spend the $30 for snow leopard.

My ibook handled taking notes in class and even recording with Word's notebook feature, but even basic web browsing got to be a challenge with the overload of flash on the web (yes I use adblockplus).

I am still using office 2004 because I have yet to hear anything good about 2008. It isn't instantaneous, but it is significantly faster than the ibook was.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2009, 01:26 AM

It only takes 45 minutes!?!? That is amazing! I was ecstatic with 4 hours vs 15. Maybe I downloaded the ppc version for his intel imac?
Eh, I think everyone is overestimating the new machines and underestimating the g4. The most intensive process I do is the occasional dvd movie conversion (that I own of course). Using the latest Handbrake it takes about 15 hours for a two hour movie on my ibook. On my dad's 2008 imac, it takes about 4 hours. So it is about 3-4 times faster, but definitely not 10 times.
Are you ripping the movie to disk first or running Handbrake with the movie in the optical drive? Makes a difference.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2009, 01:36 PM

I'll probably pick up a low end macbook pro 13" after snow leopard is out and revised once.
Current OS X is a fine OS and Snow Leopard is cheap for new Mac owners, so there is no reason to tie your hardware upgrade timing to SL's release/revision schedules.

-Allen Wicks

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2009, 08:32 AM

I can understand waiting for the Snow Leopard release, but not for its first revision. If you worried that it'll be clouded with bugs and glitches, think of the number of developer releases that have received applause. Anytime between now and the release of Snow Leopard seems like the most logical time to upgrade.

Cold Warrior
Aug 2, 2009, 09:36 AM

I've never regretted getting an OS X major point update. Disappointed in lack of performance, perhaps (early on), but no regret.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2009, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I've never regretted getting an OS X major point update.
It is not uncommon for heavy apps like Aperture, apps in Adobe's Creative Suite, etc. to exhibit anomalous behavior with OS updates; after all, the apps were built before the OS existed. It makes sense to wait and review forums commentary specific to one's most important apps before upgrading the OS.

I look forward to 10.6, but currently happily still run 10.4.11 on 9 Macs because of anomalies reported with OS 10.5.

-Allen Wicks

Forum Links
Forum Rules