Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Intro Movie

Intro Movie
tungtied07
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2004, 01:28 AM

Hi everyone,
Where would I be able to find the intro movie that Mac OS X plays during its first setup? Like, you know, after mac os x is setup, the setup assistant pops up. Then It plays this short movie.

Where is the location of the file?!?!

Thank you very much,

Paul T

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2004, 02:15 AM

Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

tungtied07  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2004, 08:30 AM

thank you very much!!!
does this work for all versions of mac os x?
how would you be able to put the music with it too?

thanks again, paul

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2004, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by tungtied07:
how would you be able to put the music with it too?
By downloading the whole thing already put together...

http://artemis.arstechnica.com/revie...vies/intro.mov

tungtied07  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2004, 08:33 AM

thanks

TheFake
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2004, 06:58 PM

now, how can I get the movie to play on start again, so this used mac i'm selling has a nice surprise for who i'm giving it to?

pat++
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2004, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by TheFake:
now, how can I get the movie to play on start again, so this used mac i'm selling has a nice surprise for who i'm giving it to?
I would delete the home directory and the NetInfo database, and the .AppleSetupDone file. To do this cleanup, boot into single user mode (hold command-S during startup) and then type the following commands :

umount -uw /
rm -rf /var/db/netinfo
rm -f /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
find /Users ! -name Shared -maxdepth 1 -type d | grep -v "/Users$" | xargs rm -rf

BE CAREFUL, THIS WILL DELETE THE HOME OF ALL USERS AND MAKE SURE THE SETUP ASISTANT IS RUN DURING THE FIRST RESTART. ONLY DO THIS IF YOU WANT TO SELL YOUR MAC AND DO NOT HAVE ANY IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON YOUR HARDDISK.
( Last edited by pat++; Feb 23, 2004 at 07:38 PM. )

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2004, 07:38 PM

Or better yet when getting rid of a Mac, format your drive and reinstall the OS. When the setup assistant appears, just hit Command-Q. It will prompt you to continue or shutdown. When the new owner receives it, it will boot up to the assistant again.
Vandelay Industries

TheFake
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2004, 07:50 PM

okay people, i've already reformatted and reinstalled the OS, and i've put some files on there as well, so i'm not looking to delete it.

all i want is the movie to play on startup. it doesn't have to be before everything, and it doesn't even have to be full screen, but that would be nice. in System 7, OS 8, and OS 9 all I had to do was drop it in the Startup Items folder, but apparently I'm not allowed to do that anymore.

nothing fancy, just a nice effect. any ideas?

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2004, 07:54 PM

Delete /var/db/.AppleSetupDone and whenever the next user starts up that movie will play and he'll be asked to set up his account.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

tungtied07  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2004, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
Delete /var/db/.AppleSetupDone and whenever the next user starts up that movie will play and he'll be asked to set up his account.
Thanks for all the suggegstions!!
Would that process, theman, delete all my documents/user account? Or would this process by deleteing the file just open the cool setup wizard to setup an Additonal account?
Wow, Mac OS X is packed with so many hidden secrets

Also, is there a hack where it can play the movie everytime the computer gets turn on/or rebooted? (Just wondering)
(kind like in OS 9, you can put the movie in startup items and it will automatically play whne the computer is turned on)

Thanks, Paul

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Feb 24, 2004, 04:52 PM

Would that process, theman, delete all my documents/user account? Or would this process by deleteing the file just open the cool setup wizard to setup an Additonal account?

Also, is there a hack where it can play the movie everytime the computer gets turn on/or rebooted? (Just wondering)
(kind like in OS 9, you can put the movie in startup items and it will automatically play whne the computer is turned on)

Thanks, Paul
That would bring the assistant (not wizard; that belongs to the PC folklore ) and set up an additional account.

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2004, 01:13 PM

I know this is off-topic, but I find it kind of cool. I was watching Deutsche Welle the other day and they had that same music in a commercial they were running (one of those "This is DW" types). I didn't know that music existed outside of my Mac!
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

alien
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2004, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by TimmyDee51:
I know this is off-topic, but I find it kind of cool. I was watching Deutsche Welle the other day and they had that same music in a commercial they were running (one of those "This is DW" types). I didn't know that music existed outside of my Mac!
The intro music is a track called Eple from the record Melody A.M. by a Norwegian electronica duo called R�yksopp. They have toured with Moby. Also won an MTV Europe award. Eple is the Norwegian word for Apple. They've sold quite a few records all over Europe.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2004, 07:46 PM

Thanks, Paul
Deleting the .AppleSetupDone file will only make the computer THINK that it hasn't been set up before, it would just create a new account on the system regardless of any other accounts on there. To have the movie play every time you start up, I suppose you could drag it to the "Login items" section of the "Accounts" preference pane when you click on your user's login name. I think it would be annoying... but hey, knock yourself out.

"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Forum Links
Forum Rules