Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How do you handle homeless beggars?

How do you handle homeless beggars?
Cohiba
Dec 23, 2004, 10:31 AM

I just went to NYC the other day (has been years) however, I spend more time there then usual. What was interesting about this time is that I was literally bombarded by homeless beggars. I am new to the whole beggar thing, so I am wondering how you handle it.

At first, I had a good excuse, I just got off the plane and only had foreign money (I pulled out some Yen, and they just left me alone). However after having some American money, the attacks seemed limitless.

I have no problems giving money as I spend a good portion of my bi-monthly paycheck toward charity, but I will be living in Chicago soon and expect this to be a common occurrence. How do you handle this? Should I just get used to walking around with a few extra dollars in "beggar money", or just give them nothing else but a boot to the ass?

Thanks.

P.S. This may seem like a stupid question, but what do these people usually spend your money on.

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2004, 11:57 AM

(I pulled out some Yen, and they just left me alone).[/B]
You already answered your own question: just carry Yen in your wallet.

Sven G
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2004, 12:04 PM

Heh, I too am always assaulted by beggars, gypsies, africans who sell in the streets, local homeless people, etc.: don't know why. Anyway, with some of them one can almost become "friends" - with others (see gypsies, for example), it's maybe better, here, to answer their obnoxious and almost mechanic requests with a "vaffanculo". I also often say something like "why don't you rebel...?" - but they don't seem to understand, mostly. It's a tragic reality, anyway: people forced to act as clowns only because they have no money, or have the money (rather, those behind them!) but only use it for their own "enrichment" - really absurd. Then, there's the whole question of the various mafias which exploit beggars and the like (even children): really disgusting...
( Last edited by Sven G; Dec 23, 2004 at 12:31 PM. )

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

ringo
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2004, 12:17 PM

If I have some extra food, I'll give them some. I don't give beggars cash anymore. Avoid eye contact and keep moving. If you can't avoid eye contact, tell them directly that "I can't help you" and keep walking. Don't slow down or stop walking unless you have something you want to give away.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2004, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by Cohiba:
I just went to NYC the other day (has been years) however, I spend more time there then usual. What was interesting about this time is that I was literally bombarded by homeless beggars. I am new to the whole beggar thing, so I am wondering how you handle it.

At first, I had a good excuse, I just got off the plane and only had foreign money (I pulled out some Yen, and they just left me alone). However after having some American money, the attacks seemed limitless.

I have no problems giving money as I spend a good portion of my bi-monthly paycheck toward charity, but I will be living in Chicago soon and expect this to be a common occurrence. How do you handle this? Should I just get used to walking around with a few extra dollars in "beggar money", or just give them nothing else but a boot to the ass?

Thanks.

P.S. This may seem like a stupid question, but what do these people usually spend your money on.
Most of the ones around my stomping grounds in DC get a polite "No" or "Sorry, no change". But I see them enough and know which ones are drunks and which ones are looking to score their next fix.

The ones I see intermittently and I know they are genuinely troubled--with mental or psychological problems--will get a buck or whatever change I have on me.

But, I give most of my donations to DC's Central Union Mission. They have a great program to get people off the street and keep them off the street. They probably get $400/year from me plus lots of extra clothing and jackets. They will send around an appeal looking for specific items of clothing, usually underwear and t-shirts, and I will just go out and buy some and drop them off.

Overall, I feel better helping people who a) want to be helped and b) are investing some of their own energy into getting help. But in the end, my compassion is quite limited and I wish it wasn't.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2004, 12:27 PM

Watch Clockwork Orange. Problem solved.

"Can you spare me some cutter me brother?"

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2004, 12:39 PM

Here in Boston I see some of the homeless, but they rarely approach. When I see them I usually say a quick prayer.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2004, 12:40 PM

I see more homeless in Seattle than I ever did in NYC.
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 23, 2004, 12:49 PM

Just say "I'll give you three dollars, but only if you promise to spend it on booze. I'm serious, don't let me catch you using it to buy food."
Nemo me impune lacesset

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2004, 01:04 PM

My friends dad (owns a roofing company) offered a beggar a job and the beggar turned him down saying "i make more doing this". An I believe him... check out this recent NY Time Story:

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/36823.htm

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2004, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by ringo:
If I have some extra food, I'll give them some. I don't give beggars cash anymore. Avoid eye contact and keep moving. If you can't avoid eye contact, tell them directly that "I can't help you" and keep walking. Don't slow down or stop walking unless you have something you want to give away.
Your sig scares me.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2004, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by MacMan4000:
My friends dad (owns a roofing company) offered a beggar a job and the beggar turned him down saying "i make more doing this". An I believe him... check out this recent NY Time Story:

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/36823.htm
Damn, that's good pay. More than twice I make.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2004, 04:00 PM

The NY Post is not the NY Times. Take anything from them with a grain of salt. There are a lot of homeless people in Berkeley and SF, so I had to deal with them a lot when I was in college. Usually I'd just say sorry when they asked for money. I remember one guy asked me to buy him a cookie when I was outside a Mrs Fields store and, being a cookie fan myself, I did oblige that request

PacHead
Baninated
Dec 23, 2004, 04:14 PM

Thanks.

I live in NYC, i obviously know plenty about NYC beggars.

Never give them anything, not a dime, not a penny. Just ignore, and walk away. If they're persistant, just say you don't have anything, and make it clear. If they see they are wasting their time, they'll move on to a more attractive and easier target. If they see there's a remote chance, and you're not 100% convincing, they might continue to annoy.

Don't look like a naive foreigner. You guys stick out like sore thumbs, especially for a beggar-bum-person who's job it is to lure naive people.

Like I said, just don't give anything, ever. That's my advice. Works fine for me.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2004, 04:17 PM

I either give them money, lie to them, verbally abuse them, or ignore them completely.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2004, 04:30 PM

The problem with some of the beggars in NYC is that they follow you after you give them money. So in the end it's usually best to simply ignore them.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2004, 04:46 PM

Say "Sorry" and walk away. I never give anyone money like that, ever.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2004, 04:52 PM

Local beggars always say "have you got any spare change", to which the usual answer is "define spare". This confuses them and allows me time to escape.

A lot of the time, beggars I've noticed in town earlier will later be noticed dressed-to-the-nines spending their hard-earned at the local nightclub.

If you're gonna give money to the homeless, give it to a reputable shelter or charity for them.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 23, 2004, 06:41 PM

In one particularly beggar-ridden part of Baltimore (Fell's Point), stores have little posters in their window, citing a study done by the city that showed that none of the beggars were even homeless. They're just out to score cash for drugs and/or alcohol.

Therefore, I do not give.

You can test this theory by offering to go buy them food. Some of them will just bark back "f*** you!" Others will politely refuse.

tooki

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 23, 2004, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by Jaey:
The problem with some of the beggars in NYC is that they follow you after you give them money. So in the end it's usually best to simply ignore them.
No, that's the worst thing to do, because you legitimize their behavior: it works, so they'll keep doing it.

tooki

Ratspittle
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2004, 07:11 PM

we call em mashees, as in "mashee a Kweshun...m'ave a dollar"
mashe kweshun website site maybe NSFW
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2004, 12:08 AM

Pepper spray.....

I wish. They are out of hand here in the city. I got out of a cab a couple months ago and no sooner had I stepped out that one was asking me for money. When I said no he started swearing at me, which is probably the worse thing someone can do because I am not above beating anyone who gets overly aggressive with me for no good reason. Anyway, I don't give them money. I am willing to donate to a shelter or food program but no way will I give someone on the street money or buy a Streetwise.

http://washingtontimes.com/upi-break...2241-9498r.htm

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2004, 12:27 AM

new york is rarely a problem for me. i usually just say that they make better money than i do. 100% success on that one.

india was another story all together. we had beggars hanging on the side of our cab as we drove away, a swarm of mothers hanging on my arm (literally). i gave to some, others i told to leave me alone, but they pretended to no understand me and laughed. it was really annoying to be mobbed everywhere we went by people hitting us up for money.

LookSee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2004, 12:50 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
No, that's the worst thing to do, because you legitimize their behavior: it works, so they'll keep doing it.

tooki
I think you misread what he wrote

I don't give money to panhandlers. I politely tell them I don't have any change and continue on my merry way. I give money to the food bank and salvation army, so if they want my help, they can get it from those places.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 24, 2004, 02:50 AM

You know, I think I did. Damned brain poop.

tooki

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2004, 03:54 AM

For two years I would be asked for money at least once a day on my walk to and from class. It got to the point where I would only give money if there was any entertainment value in it for me:

One time I was walking home from class, and a little African American man in a GIANT sombrero asked me for some change. I gave him a dollar and asked him where he got his hat.

Super Mario
Dec 24, 2004, 06:26 AM

We normally call them lawyers, politicians, stoke brokers, commission workers, but beggars is good too. Tell them you'll call when you need them.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2004, 10:37 AM

I won't give them cash, but I do carry $5 food certificates to McDonalds, Burger King, etc.. Most of the time the bums just give me a dirty look when I offer them one, occassionally someone gratefully takes it, but it's uncommon. Also, I donate considerable amounts of $ (>$12,000 this year) to local rescue ministries and relief missions. They provide shelter, food, clothing, and job training to those who need it.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2004, 02:13 PM

sometimes i give them some change if i have it. most of the time i dont.

its like, im caught up in the game. i have 2 grand in notes i need to pay every month. how the **** do i have any "spare change"?

PacHead
Baninated
Dec 25, 2004, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
Also, I donate considerable amounts of $ (>$12,000 this year) to local rescue ministries and relief missions.
Damn, you're too nice. If I had $12,000 extra, I'd pick up the latest G5, 30" display, etc. etc. I guess I'm a bad person.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 25, 2004, 02:23 PM

A few years ago, I was in Detroit around the holidays. Walked to a club and spent a few hours there. Didn't take much money with me (which went to drinks anyway and no credit cards). On the way back to my hotel, it started to snow lightly. Then some guy came over from across the street and approached me and said: Buddy, got a few dollars you could lend me.
I just said: Dude, if I had any money on me, don't you think I'd be taking a cab?
He just laughed and said: Yeah, that's true. Later.

Now the worse incidents happened in Mexico (watch stolen off my wrist by swarms of kids in Juarez) during my uni years. Of course, I was crazy drunk at the time.

In Vietnam, it was the worst. The kids would follow you around and tug on your clothes. Then if you ignored them, they started cursing at you (in pretty good English). I really wanted to belt a few of them.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

hart
Senior User
Dec 26, 2004, 02:58 PM

I live in NYC and I don't think I've ever been harassed or had a problem with a begger folowing me or swearing at me. Maybe because I don't give off angry vibes. In any case, dealing with crazy people and people who get in your face is a general urban skill, not just reserved for people who ask you for money. Ignoring generally works or saying no and moving on. In my Brooklyn neighborhood some of the guys have been here for years and I've considered carrying small change specifically to give to these, my "neighbors" just for good karma purposes. I'm still on the fence about that.

In the subway and on the street I generally give a dollar to musicians.

As for charity in principal I feel a better use of my money is to consolidate and give a larger sum to organized charities. I usually include in my annual giving some organization that provides food to New Yorkers who need it.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2004, 03:10 PM

Homeless in New York disturb me more than any beggars I've encountered in Africa, Asia or elsewhere. I know some of them may choose to live that way but not all of them. I like charities, and volunteering, but I think our society should be doing more.

And having grown up in New York, we've always had beggars, but either it's gotten worse or I've just gotten tired of trying to ignore them.

Adopt-A-Yankee

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2004, 03:18 PM

i grew up in nyc so saw many beggars. in boston, where i went to school, my usual tactic was to offer to buy the guys hanging around the 7-11 something to eat, and ignoring those elsewhere. the 7-11 guys did take me up on the food offer a few times.

Cellery
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2004, 04:24 PM

I carry a few cards in my wallet with the phone numbers and addresses of local shelters and soup kitchens. The regulars know not to bother me anymore, but occasionally a new person will get pissy. I donate to the shelters, so I tell them that's where my spare change went.

OreoCookie
Dec 26, 2004, 05:12 PM

Don't give 'em money, but food if you want to give them something. If you give them money, they'll buy alcohol.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 26, 2004, 07:11 PM

Last time I was in Chicago with friends, a persistent beggar kept offering to polish our shoes. I know how to deal with them, don't look and keep walking. But my friend hadn't experienced this before, he made eye contact and politely said no thanks. The guy quickly bent over and dabbed on some shoe polish anyways. So he had to stop and let the guy finish.

Another time in Chicago I was with my mom and sis and we were accosted by this woman who looked like she was in tears. We stopped and listened to her sob story about how she needed money to catch a bus up town, something about her baby was in trouble. I noticed the tears were fake and made of some kind of clear goo. I told my mom let's go, she's a beggar. But she took the bait and gave her like $10.

Certainly I feel bad for the homeless but begging on the streets is wrong and shouldn't be encouraged. Therefore I give them nothing.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 26, 2004, 07:30 PM

Also, I donate considerable amounts of $ (>$12,000 this year) to local rescue ministries and relief missions.
Wow, you're a very generous human being.

A co-worker I sit next to gave about $10,000 to his local church a few years ago to help pay for a new building. He is a very religious person (obviously) and said it felt like the right thing to do. I'll never understand how anyone can give away that much money just because it "feels right". Recently, they built a new house and shortly thereafter his wife lost her job... on top of that they are now expecting their 3rd child. He says they'll soon be in serious financial trouble is something doesn't change soon. I don't care what he says, donating that much money was a mistake and I have to wonder if he regrets it now.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2004, 07:40 PM

Our bums will ask, as you walk pass if you ignore them they leave you alone. Ours dont attack people. And they are usally very polite.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2004, 08:53 PM

Are you Japanese? Pretending you don't speak English is more effective than anything else.

As a white guy living in one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the United States, I can't get away with that. (Don't get the wrong idea about me; I'm trying my hardest to make this a poor neighborhood.)

Here's what I suggest:

If you see a homeless person, move to the side so you don't end up walking next to him or her.

Do not make eye contact.

Do not say anything.

If you are followed, move away. Many times if necessary.

A few days ago, while waiting for the light to change so I could walk across the street, an especially persistent homeless man wouldn't stop following me and begging for money no matter how many times or which direction I moved away from him in.

You have to be more persistent than they are.

I don't mean to sound cruel. I feel for the homeless and otherwise unemployable. Especially in December in Chicago. But a lot of these people are and and will remain homeless and unemployable because they're alcoholics or drug addicts. You don't want your money contributing to their addictions.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2004, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by Athens:
Our bums will ask, as you walk pass if you ignore them they leave you alone. Ours dont attack people. And they are usally very polite.
The Great Canadian Society has bums? How did you guys let that happen?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

LookSee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2004, 02:58 AM

Having a law that prohibits aggressive panhandling probably helps.

Of course, they could be just too stoned/wasted to bother chasing after people, lol.
( Last edited by LookSee; Dec 27, 2004 at 03:04 AM. )

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2004, 03:00 AM

The Great Canadian Society has bums?
I think it's called "parliment" up there. Or "le parliament" if in Quebec.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2004, 03:24 AM

The Great Canadian Society has bums? How did you guys let that happen?
Americans migrate north and find out we arnt as giving as they thought?

All cities have bums, all countries have bums. Thats a fact of life. Our bums get warm meals every night, a place to sleep, most a welfare check, full medical. Thats alot more then your bums get. What makes them bums is either drug addictions or mental problems.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2004, 03:26 AM

Originally posted by LookSee:
Having a law that prohibits aggressive panhandling probably helps.

Of course, they could be just too stoned/wasted to bother chasing after people, lol.
That just came into effect like 2 months ago because of the few that are problems and it cant be enforced either. It has no impact and will never have a impact on things.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2004, 03:26 AM

All cities have bums, all countries have bums.
Homeless, yes. Transients, yes. Bums, no.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2004, 03:27 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
Homeless, yes. Transients, yes. Bums, no.
Explain to me the different between "Homeless, Transient, and Street Person from BUM?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2004, 03:30 AM

Singapore (a city and country) has a very, very small homeless population. But you almost never see them and you surely don't see them begging for money.
In my mind, a homeless person (actually a houseless person as home is an abstract value) is the same as transient.
A bum begs for money to support whatever addiction they have, booze drugs or whatever.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2004, 03:39 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
Singapore (a city and country) has a very, very small homeless population. But you almost never see them and you surely don't see them begging for money.
In my mind, a homeless person (actually a houseless person as home is an abstract value) is the same as transient.
A bum begs for money to support whatever addiction they have, booze drugs or whatever.
Homeless people, transient people both ask for handouts here which is why I call them all bums. Some one asking for money for booze or for bus fare, or for some food such as the case of some Homeless people I consider bums. And you might want to look deeper into Singapore before claiming they have very little homeless people. If you have been there perhaps you didn't see any which dosent mean there isnt any. Or perhaps they lock homeless up to hide the problem. I doubt they have none.

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2004, 04:48 AM

Ask them if they have any change before they have a chance to ask you. If they say no, then pester them until they run away.

Forum Links
Forum Rules