Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > My dog = dead. (Large image)

My dog = dead. (Large image)
storer
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2004, 06:44 PM

So, it's new years day. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL! Last night, I let Louie off the chain because he is going crazy from all the fireworks. He'd been getting out lately but he would never go futher than the carport, and he couldn't stay chained forever. I had also fixed the place where I thought he had been getting out. So, before I go to bed at 0020, I say a quick prayer that Louie would be safe.

I wake up this morning and go to the backyard to see if he got out. He's not there, but I expected this. There is some other little black poodle dog there that I don't even know. I go to the carport and Louie is not there. Then, I start to worry. I call a few times, and nothing. I go walking around the property, and he's not in the horse paddock, and the horses are sleeping (the fireworks drive them crazy and they run around for a few hours afterwards). I finally catch sight of him and start calling again. He is sleeping on the side of the road. Then I just think; "The side of the road?" and I walk up and there are ants all over him and he is most definetly dead. So, in all my horror, I run inside to tell mum. On my way, the phone rings. It is little sister. Kimberli says Happy New Year, etc etc. And then she asks "How is Louie?" and I say, "Oh good, fine. G2g, ring you back in 5 minutes. BYE!" and hang up. We still haven't told her. It just bugs me because you think that you are safe; you say a prayer and everything.... and he dies the next morning.

Neway, I just needed to get that off. This is Louie 1 month ago;

Macola
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2004, 06:50 PM

So sorry to hear that. Our dog is family, so I know how you must feel.

I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

storer  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2004, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by Macola:
So sorry to hear that. Our dog is family, so I know how you must feel.
This dog was not all that close to me (he was only a pup that we had gotten not long ago), but more so my little sister, so I am worried about her. I was still pretty good friends with him though, so I am sad I am just glad my other dog, Chuckie (8yrold) is safe.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2004, 06:57 PM

Yeah it's said when things like this happen ...

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2004, 06:59 PM

Very sad

Are you still going to hold faith in payer?
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

storer  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2004, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Very sad

Are you still going to hold faith in payer?
In prayer? Yeah I suppose. Why not try, at least? Even if praying doesn't work, you know you tried everything. I go to a Catholic school so it's always been drummed into me; pray, even if you don't have belief in God.

But anyway, I'm sure there are plenty of people with worse losses, eg. Thailand, etc.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2004, 07:14 PM

If I cared at all about my sisters dog I wouldn't have let it off his leash. You killed that dog with your neglect. Why didn't you just let it inside the house? People like you make me very angry. Angry and sad.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2004, 07:16 PM

I do feel bad for your sister as paying is not an alternative to taking responsibility yourself. You really need to be more responsible with someone else's pet next time.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2004, 07:18 PM

tew, that's a little harsh.

and any dog that has a 'brow ring is pretty badass in my book.

Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2004, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
If I cared at all about my sisters dog I wouldn't have let it off his leash. You killed that dog with your neglect. Why didn't you just let it inside the house? People like you make me very angry. Angry and sad.
If my sister had done the same with my pet I would be very angry also.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 31, 2004, 07:26 PM

I'm sure the kid feels bad enough, really no need to beat him when he's down. And luckily, we get yet another chance to mention religion. For that, we thank our lucky stars (I was going to say 'thank heaven' or something like that, but heav... um... whatever� forbid someone mention even casually something remotely religious and derail a thread). Ya think now that there is absolutely no doubt about your feelings on Christianity, we can just kind of let it go? Seriously, I'll PM all the new members so they'll know how you feel about it. I'm here to help.

Storer, sorry to here about the pup. Hope your sis doesn't take it too hard.
Nemo me impune lacesset

storer  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2004, 07:27 PM

Ok, well I always knew you guys were assholes, but hey, I didn't expect the asshole to come out in this thread.

Which is more cruel;

*Leaving the dog to choke itself to death by pulling on the chain while the fireworks were on (the fireworks were next door and extremely loud, they even shook the house). Louie was seriously trying to get off that chain by pulling and pulling and he was making choking sounds. He had been on the chain all day and he's not used to it.
OR
*Letting him off the chain, thinking that he would most definetly be safe because all the holes in the fence were fixed. I am taking a wild guess and saying that he jumped one of the smaller fences (less than 1m high) and got out that way.

There is always some self-concious, inconfident and plain stupid idiot to blame something on someone.

storer  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2004, 07:32 PM

Why didn't you just let it inside the house? People like you make me very angry. Angry and sad.
The dog? inside the house? After it had been cleaned? And the dog was muddy and wet? I live on a semi-farm property. He was muddy and dirty. People who let their dogs inside sicken me. Eww, just the thought of the germs sickens me. And anyway, I am athsmatic and somewhat allergic to dog fur.

My mum and her friend (male) are out burying him now. It's sort of sad though, because after my dad left, my Kimberli was more dependent on the dog and would check on him all the time to make sure he was safe.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2004, 07:49 PM

sorry to hear tat...so have u told your sis yet?

storer  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2004, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by ironknee:
sorry to hear tat...so have u told your sis yet?
Not as yet. She is staying with grandma 200km away and she gets home tomorrow, so best to tell her then when mum can comfort her.

timmerk
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2004, 07:54 PM

Not to be rude, but where is the picture of your dead dog that I was promised?

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2004, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by storer:
Not as yet. She is staying with grandma 200km away and she gets home tomorrow, so best to tell her then when mum can comfort her.
how old is she? will she be crushed? are u ready for her anger?

why didn't u tell me when u found out? (so i can say goodby)

why didn't u watch where he was?

hey i feel for u and understand where you're coming from...

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2004, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
I do feel bad for your sister as paying is not an alternative to taking responsibility yourself. You really need to be more responsible with someone else's pet next time.
Jerk.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2004, 08:01 PM

Ok, well I always knew you guys were assholes, but hey, I didn't expect the asshole to come out in this thread.
There is always some self-concious, inconfident and plain stupid idiot to blame something on someone.
Irresponsible dog owners are the idiots, not the people that point out their irresponsibility. I wish you truly felt bad about this sad incident and learned something from it, but it's very clear you don't and haven't. It's your responsiblity to protect your dog and I hope you don't get another one until you know what that word means.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2004, 08:04 PM

Knee-jerk.

storer  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2004, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by ironknee:
how old is she? will she be crushed? are u ready for her anger?

why didn't u tell me when u found out? (so i can say goodby)

why didn't u watch where he was?

hey i feel for u and understand where you're coming from...
She's twelve so i expect her to be pretty angry. My mum isn't even sure he was hit by a car, there isn't a mark on him. Nothing at all. It may even have been a snake, because he was lying in long grass. She will probably be crushed, yes.

And to tew; how am i supposed to look after the dog? Am I supposed to stay up all night and make sure its ok? Did you not read any of my other posts? I'm sure if you knew my situation you would think differently.

timmerk
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2004, 08:14 PM

storer: pleas answer my previous post.

also, how old are you?

storer  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2004, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by timmerk:
storer: pleas answer my previous post.

also, how old are you?
I am 14, and the large image was of the ALIVE dog.

timmerk
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2004, 08:18 PM

Ah, ok, maybe you should change your subject then, lol.

Anyways, more importantly: "U Ha3\/ |\/|4NaG3D 2 USE t3H 1|\|74RW38 3cK$P|_0R3R W1tC|-| H4S R0oT3D t3h Y|_|0r Pe3C3e!"

Is that a joke?

Komisar
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2004, 08:38 PM

Irresponsible dog owners are the idiots, not the people that point out their irresponsibility. I wish you truly felt bad about this sad incident and learned something from it, but it's very clear you don't and haven't. It's your responsiblity to protect your dog and I hope you don't get another one until you know what that word means.
your just an asshole... let the kid be he lost his dog... Have you even owned one?

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2004, 09:12 PM

And to tew; how am i supposed to look after the dog? Am I supposed to stay up all night and make sure its ok? Did you not read any of my other posts? I'm sure if you knew my situation you would think differently.
Either you let your dog inside or make sure your fence can hold it, or don't have a dog. Period. You don't defend your actions like you are doing. There is no excuse for allowing a dog to get out and be killed. I am talking as if I am speaking with an adult though. If you are a kid then you will understand what I am saying when you grow up and for now I apologize.

Originally posted by Komisar:
your just an asshole... let the kid be he lost his dog... Have you even owned one?
I am not. I just don't like to hear people acting like they aren't responsible for things that they are responsible for. It's almost as bad as people that try to blame random acts on innocent people. That is not what I am doing. Dog owners are responsible for their dogs. Period. And yes I have two dogs and yes I've had some close calls with mine and I am much more racked with guilt about them than storer seems to be. I still have flashbacks to a time when one of mine almost got run over WHILE he was on my leash. Horrible. You really have to be sooooo careful with dogs to keep them out of danger.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 31, 2004, 09:33 PM

You may also want to keep in mind that internet message boards are truly a piss-poor medium for expressing emotion. Kind of tough to gauge someone's emotional state by a few sentences typed out on a BBS. You don't know him; you don't know how he feels. It might not of been his dog that he was super close too, but I�m sure the kid feels bad for the pain he's caused his sister. But that's just as much supposition on my part as what you have decided he feels.

And don't even get me started on the jackasses that rant and rave about how so and so should have been paying more attention to their dog, while at the same time they have no idea where the hell their kids are or what they are doing.
Nemo me impune lacesset

storer  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2004, 10:04 PM

Either you let your dog inside or make sure your fence can hold it, or don't have a dog. Period. You don't defend your actions like you are doing. There is no excuse for allowing a dog to get out and be killed. I am talking as if I am speaking with an adult though. If you are a kid then you will understand what I am saying when you grow up and for now I apologize.
I didn't allow the dog to escape. I thought the fence was safe. It has mesh dug into the ground. The neighbours refused to allow us to build that part of the fence up.... its the end of it so it goes
_____
\
\
\_________________
|
|
_________________________ |
(i know, poor diagram) Its fine to contain him until it gets to the lower part. I will take a photo if i have to.

And "U Ha3\/ |\/|4NaG3D 2 USE t3H 1|\|74RW38 3cK$P|_0R3R W1tC|-| H4S R0oT3D t3h Y|_|0r Pe3C3e!" is definetly a joke. It makes fun of all the 1337 Windoze lovers.

EDIT: Oh ****, diagram does not work.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2004, 10:16 PM

From what I've read here, I would say that Louie did not die due to storer's neglect, it was just random misfortune.

I also think some of you should back the **** off. I mean it. His dog just died, feel sorry for him. It wasn't his fault; don't tell him he killed his dog.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2004, 10:21 PM

Code:
_____ \ \ \_________________ | | _________________________ |
?

storer  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2004, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by Synotic:
Code:
_____ \ \ \_________________ | | _________________________ |
?
yep, thats the shape of the end of the fence.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2004, 10:58 PM

<snip>
It just bugs me because you think that you are safe; you say a prayer and everything.... and he dies the next morning.
<snip>
My wife and I got a Great Pyr named Luke from a rescue 4 years ago, before our daughter was born. Wonderful dog. My daughter is born, and the herding instincts of the Pyr mesh perfectly with the baby. As she grows, he is her absolute best friend and protector. I've watched as my daughter learned to walk by pulling herself upright using the dogs fur. I've seen her stick both tiny hands in his mouth and pull on his tongue. I've watched her use him as a jungle gym. It was an amazing thing. The dog outweighed my daughter by 120 pounds, but he was the gentlest beast I have ever seen. I've also seen the exhibit protective behavior that was obsessive. He was truely an amazing companion, and, at 140 pounds, the center of our household.

3 months ago, out of the blue, Luke was limping one day, and not acting like himself. We took him to the vet the next day. His hind leg was fine, but he had internal bleeding surrounding his lungs from tumors. Dog seemed to be in perfect health, and then one day he is a little lame, and he has internal bleeding and tumors? WTF? More tests, more bad news. Actually, zero positive news. So we had to have him put down. He wasn't even 6 years old. It sucked huge, and continues to suck huge. About every other week my daughter (who will be 4 in a few months), wakes up crying saying she wants Luke back. What can I say? I want the dog back too.

Life sure seems capricious most of the time. I feel sorry for you Storer. I feel sorry for your sister. I feel really bad for Louie. Hang in there, man.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2004, 11:49 PM

She's twelve so i expect her to be pretty angry. My mum isn't even sure he was hit by a car, there isn't a mark on him. Nothing at all. It may even have been a snake, because he was lying in long grass. She will probably be crushed, yes.

hey hey...no u got me wrong...first i didn't know u were as young as your sis..(i thought u might be around 20)

my questions were as if they were from a 12 year old...not logical...very emotional...

i was just trying to warn u of there kinds of accusations

ley us know how it goes good luck man

Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2005, 02:27 AM

Yes, I do feel sorry for him slightly but like he said he isn't that attached to the dog but he let his sister down as he used praying as a fence. It has nothing to do with starting a religious thread as much as some as you would like to think.

If I came home and my sister told me my cat died because she prayed instead of making sure it was locked up properly I would be plenty upset.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2005, 02:52 AM

I am not. I just don't like to hear people acting like they aren't responsible for things that they are responsible for. It's almost as bad as people that try to blame random acts on innocent people. That is not what I am doing. Dog owners are responsible for their dogs. Period. And yes I have two dogs and yes I've had some close calls with mine and I am much more racked with guilt about them than storer seems to be. I still have flashbacks to a time when one of mine almost got run over WHILE he was on my leash. Horrible. You really have to be sooooo careful with dogs to keep them out of danger.
Thanks for the clarification i really appreciate it. I understand where you are coming from... though i feel you where a little harsh on him.... Like you say i too do not let my dog out of my site but that is because she is somewhat mentally disabled i don't know about other people but i get freaked out if i don't know where my dog is and when she is there.

storer  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2005, 03:18 AM

It was a mistake, I have no problems about that, but I wasn't using "prayer" as a fence, I pray often for a million different things. I expected that the actual physical fence was safe, and I thought it was, period.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2005, 04:16 AM

Storer, if you thought the dog was good to go with the fence he had, I don't see how this was your fault. You wanted to let him run around and do his thing while the fireworks were going.

It was an accident, and accidents happen. Dogs get killed all the time. If they're not running under the wheels of some car, they're fighting with other dogs or wild animals or whatever.

Don't let these pompous humanitarians get to you. It sounds to me like you thought the dog was going to be safe. What can you do more than that? You fixed the freaking fence. This isn't a house dog that needs to be kept in and protected. A freaking dog should know how not get run over, or bitten by snakes. Geez.

Sorry about your sis though. I hope things go well with her.

eep
Jan 1, 2005, 04:46 AM

The dog? inside the house? After it had been cleaned? And the dog was muddy and wet? I live on a semi-farm property. He was muddy and dirty. People who let their dogs inside sicken me. Eww, just the thought of the germs sickens me. And anyway, I am athsmatic and somewhat allergic to dog fur.

My mum and her friend (male) are out burying him now. It's sort of sad though, because after my dad left, my Kimberli was more dependent on the dog and would check on him all the time to make sure he was safe.
Then don't agree to take care of a dog if you're allergic to it.

Our dog is terrified of fireworks but we would NEVER let her off her leash nor leave her out side PEROID. If people were having firework displays then she stays inside and she'll usually hide in the closet. Sadly dogs are not very smart and in a panic are hard to deal with, But if you value them as a pet then a dirty carpet is worth it.

Sorry for your sisters loss.

brapper
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2005, 05:11 AM

you're a piece of sh it plain and simple. go fuc k yourself.
I'd punch you in the face if I could in person, you as shole.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2005, 06:41 AM

Clean house was more important then your pets life. Its not hard to hose a dog down, dry him off and bring him inside, or to lock him in a room. Don't get me wrong, its not your fualt. I don't know where you live, the area and such. Prob would be perfectly normal to leave him out. But with Fireworks you need to be that extra careful, and a dirty house isnt that bad a price to pay. Anyways I hope your sister takes it well and I hope you don't beat yourself over it to much. All the pets I have lost hurt, they really are family.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2005, 06:48 AM

My god some of the people here are total assholes!!! You can try to inform him of his mistakes with out being so mean about it. Man I have just lost so much respect for some of the people here.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2005, 08:22 AM

such a cute doggy ... condolences storer..

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2005, 10:42 AM

I'm sorry, Storer. He's a real sweet-looking dog. Our dogs occasionally get out of the fence also, and sometimes it's tough figuring out exactly where.

Stuff happens. Even though you try your best to do what's right.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2005, 03:51 PM

It was a mistake, I have no problems about that, but I wasn't using "prayer" as a fence, I pray often for a million different things. I expected that the actual physical fence was safe, and I thought it was, period.

I'm glad that you realize that you made a mistake and I'm sorry if I was too harsh with my criticisms. Your thread inspired me to go and fix my fence today so it doesn't happen to my dogs too. Thanks for posting and I wish you and your dog and sister the best this year.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2005, 04:15 PM

Too bad about Louie.

Seriously, my condolences.

But, I have to say -- sorry -- that if there was ANY chance of that dog getting out and running away, it takes more than a prayer to prevent that from happening.

He'd been getting out lately but he would never go futher than the carport, and he couldn't stay chained forever. I had also fixed the place where I thought he had been getting out. So, before I go to bed at 0020, I say a quick prayer that Louie would be safe.
I just picked up a dog (I volunteer as a dog transporter for the local no-kill shelter) on Wednesday night at midnight. The dog was picked up as a stray and being taken care of by two college students (girls) who could not keep her indefinitely. She was definitely someone's pet. A Shiba Inu and black Labrador cross -- cute. Only 32 pounds, silky Shiba Inu fur (black) with the curled tail and prick ears...but with a black Labrador demeanor and webbed toes. Somehow she got out. A month's worth of flyers and notices in the paper resulted in...nothing.

Thank goodness she's okay. She went over to the shelter this morning after a nice turkey dinner lunch. Her name is Lucy.

Keep your other dogs safe and Happy New Year.

Good luck.

storer  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2005, 06:55 PM

Thanks guys. This morning, my sister gets home. I didn't know this before, but when my mum and Allan buried him, he had an injury on his head, but that was face down where he was lying. So he definetly was hit by a car. The fact that he was hit on the head tells me that he would have died quite quickly, which is good. We are going to tell Kimberli that he was bitten by a snake on the nose when he was sniffing in the grass. My mum figures that telling her that will make her less upset because a car death is sort of more violent.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2005, 07:01 PM

Thanks guys. This morning, my sister gets home. I didn't know this before, but when my mum and Allan buried him, he had an injury on his head, but that was face down where he was lying. So he definetly was hit by a car. The fact that he was hit on the head tells me that he would have died quite quickly, which is good. We are going to tell Kimberli that he was bitten by a snake on the nose when he was sniffing in the grass. My mum figures that telling her that will make her less upset because a car death is sort of more violent.
Just tell her the truth, I think it is a horrible idea to lie about this. I promise you that someone will slip up one day telling the truth about the death of the dog. Then the dog is still dead and she is mad at you for lying.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2005, 07:02 PM

Just keep your other dog safe and learn something from Louie's death.

This happens constantly (getting hit by a car.) It seems to be the most common way that dogs die prematurely. It's sad every single time.

Good luck, storer.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2005, 07:04 PM

P.S., I agree that you should tell her the truth and not make up some hair-brained story.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2005, 07:10 PM

Stay with the truth if your mum lets you. The dog is gone either way. You don't have to go into detail. No need to lie and feel guilty about it later.

Let us know how your sis takes it. He was such a cute dog.

Forum Links
Forum Rules