Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Tiger covered on CNBC. Video is on Apple's site.

Tiger covered on CNBC. Video is on Apple's site.
Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 5, 2005, 12:38 AM

I got a kick out of it.

Especially the part where he compared Longhorn to road construction.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

SSharon
Professional Poster
May 5, 2005, 03:54 AM

That was a great line indeed, not a bad clip.
Aside, I never new Mossberg looked like that, I have read so many of his articles and for some reason I pictured someone very different.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2005, 04:17 AM

Cool, they used MPEG4, and AAC.

-Owl

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
May 5, 2005, 11:14 AM

Billy Boy's going to find a way to stop the presses. I wonder how he is managing to sleep these days.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2005, 11:28 AM

Not a bad clip at all
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2005, 11:34 AM

when longhorn finally comes out it will be compared to OSX in every article except the unabashed pro-windows ones.

and everytime they f*ck up a feature compared to OSX, they'll have to take flak for that too.

willed
Professional Poster
May 5, 2005, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by OwlBoy
Cool, they used MPEG4, and AAC.

-Owl
So that's why it didn't play anywhere near smoothly on my iBook 500

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2005, 02:43 PM

A nicely done clip.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2005, 03:18 PM

On the one hand it's great to see Apple using H.264, and the clip looked great. On the other hand isn't it a bit of a shame that no prospective switchers will be able to watch that yet as Quicktime 7 isn't out for Windows yet.
12" Rev B PB

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2005, 03:35 PM

Very cool clip...

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2005, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by willed
Actually I'm very impressed by this clip. It's just 12 MB for 2:30 minutes which means this can easily be streamed over my 1000 kbit line. For that the image quality was amazing if I compare it from the quality of all those keynotes I have seen streamed.

H.264 is good.

Psychonaut
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2005, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Thorin
On the one hand it's great to see Apple using H.264, and the clip looked great. On the other hand isn't it a bit of a shame that no prospective switchers will be able to watch that yet as Quicktime 7 isn't out for Windows yet.
I watched it with no problems on XP. Don't know what you might be talking about.
DBGFHRGL!

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
May 5, 2005, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by willed
my TiBook 400 played the clip at about 1 frame every five seconds.

Sounded nice though!

JonoG4
Senior User
May 5, 2005, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Psychonaut
I watched it with no problems on XP. Don't know what you might be talking about.
On that movie page, they list 6.5 as the requirement for Windows. They must just be using h.263 or something for Windows users.
Mac mini 1.25/512/40
iBook 600/384/20/
iMac 233/288/4/

Mafia
Mac Elite
May 5, 2005, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
Billy Boy's going to find a way to stop the presses. I wonder how he is managing to sleep these days.
probably his billions of dollars.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2005, 11:47 PM

Guys, its MPEG4, not H.2---anything.

Notice they are different selections?

-Owl
( Last edited by OwlBoy; May 5, 2005 at 11:55 PM. )

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2005, 12:07 AM

Guys, its MPEG4, not H.2---anything.
No, it's H.264.

storer
Mac Elite
May 6, 2005, 12:26 AM

That's fantastic! They need to do something like this in Australia because Apple gets no publicity whatsoever here. A lot of people think that Macs died in the early 90s.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
May 6, 2005, 12:44 AM

Thing is, when Longhorn comes out people will have forgotten all about 10.4. If Longhorn is on schedule (jokes aside), it'll appear right around the same time as 10.5 does. No one will say how Longhorn was a year and half later than 10.4 or three years later than 10.3.

Longhorn will be 3 months sooner than 10.5! Ahead of the curve! It's all in marketing. Microsoft may look bad today, but come winter 2006, Apple will still have a lot of work to do.

ImpulseResponse

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 6, 2005, 02:16 AM

It's H.264 and 640x480 with QT7. It's sucktacular with QT6.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
May 6, 2005, 03:10 AM

gooo apple.

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2005, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ozmodiar
my TiBook 400 played the clip at about 1 frame every five seconds.
Add my name to the "playback sucked on my machine" list. The machine in question is my iBook G3 600. I'm glad nobody else was around to witness that. Sad.

GFitzy
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2005, 02:37 PM

Played fine on my G4 450 w/ QT 6.0 Pro. over ethernet . . . .

I see the CNBC guy is still floating the 'critical amss' theory for 'why no Mac viruses?', he might want to read this: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04...les_big_virus/

-gfitzy

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2005, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by joltguy
Add my name to the "playback sucked on my machine" list. The machine in question is my iBook G3 600. I'm glad nobody else was around to witness that. Sad.
Were you guys running Tiger?

This is gonna prove interesting. It should play OK in QT 6. The QT7's H.264 stream is much harder to decode (but plays fine on my Cube 1.7).

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 6, 2005, 03:12 PM

Great article.

One thing I always wonder about in these threads is why some Mac users seem to be so obsessed with competing toe-to-toe with windows. Apple is in great financial shape, and is putting out great products available to everyone who wants them. So what's the big deal?

Could you imagine *if* Apple someday had over 50% market share in the computer world? Call me a pecimist, but I think the day that comes is when Apple-innovation stops.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
May 6, 2005, 03:12 PM

Did anyone else think that piece was really odd? It seemed like they had no Apple, or even computer related footage. They made all these analogies ("Longhorn is like a road that is always under construction, with no end it sight", "Apple is like the sports car of the computing world"), just so they could use stock footage of people building a road, and a BMW peeling out.

Good clip, but sort of oddly constructed.

ImpulseResponse

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2005, 03:16 PM

The clip used to be 320 x 240 MPEG-4, 9.1MB. Right now, it's 640 x 480 H.264, 12.52MB.
Sorry to say, the MPEG-4 footage is better than H.264 this time.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2005, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kenneth
The clip used to be 320 x 240 MPEG-4, 9.1MB. Right now, it's 640 x 480 H.264, 12.52MB.
Sorry to say, the MPEG-4 footage is better than H.264 this time.
Not sure what you're talking about. The H.264 stream simply blows it away. The smaller clip has only a 30% lower datarate, but has 75% less pixels.

QuickTime 6:

QuickTime 7:

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2005, 04:59 PM

Well.. I saved them down to my local hard drive and played them on the QuickTime Player.
May be something do with the raw source?

storer
Mac Elite
May 6, 2005, 05:41 PM

Hrmn well, I can't see the whole file. It stops right after they cross to the reporter.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2005, 07:10 PM

What gets me is�name another product that any of us buy where we give a rats ass about market share.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Mr Scruff
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2005, 07:32 AM

h264 version played back perfectly for me with Tiger on an iBook G4 800.

Best streamed video quality I've seen.

storer
Mac Elite
May 7, 2005, 07:39 AM

GRR! I still can' see the blasted thing!

jedimstr
May 7, 2005, 07:50 AM

I actually work at CNBC... so imagine my surprise when I saw the clip on Apple's site. Nice

I've been able to "convert" a few people at work... and there's a certain buzz about two things right now at the news desk, satellite operations, and IT (graphic dept's already "in our camp"... no surprise). Tiger and Episode III. Warms my heart....

Just two years ago, there was a major move from old Apple PowerMac G4 editing stations running Avid's stuff on OS9 to Windows 2k machines with Avid stuff (bleh!). There are definite changes a-foot for the whole NBC news organization when it comes to the way we handle video... and as more buzz picks up, I see a good future for Apple in the broadcast industry. They had a great presence at the last two NAB conferences... and it's starting to show behind the scenes, and "leak" enthusiasm all the way down to the reporters (even if they are a bit clueless about the tech).
----------------------------------------------------
Jedi's Lair: Reviews, Tips, and the RickyCam
Jedi's Photos: Living life one shutter click at a time...

jarod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2005, 08:02 AM

Tiger is simply outstanding.

Why anyone would want to have anything to do with Microshit is beyond any form of logical comprehension.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2005, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by jarod
Tiger is simply outstanding.

Why anyone would want to have anything to do with Microshit is beyond any form of logical comprehension.
Because unlike Apple, Microsoft has bent over backwards to cater to the business market. Tiger's significant networking issues, etc. certainly don't help Apple's cause. Hopefully Apple will get this fixed asap, especially because some of Apple's new hardware likely won't even run on Panther.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2005, 12:09 PM

Wow, ok guys, sorry

For some reason I kept getting the MPEG4 version despite having QT7.

My apologies. :blush:

-Owl

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2005, 12:13 PM

For some reason I kept getting the MPEG4 version despite having QT7.
Try flushing your cache/resetting Safari.

P.S. What kind of hardware do you have, and how smooth is the playback? If you download the clip you can also check the frame rate in QuickTime.

TheMacOracle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2005, 01:21 PM

I'm sorry, but am I the only one who is a little sick and tired of EVERY FRICKIN' ARTICLE about Tiger in the media today mentioning Longhorn and comparing Tiger to it? I mean, could MS get a little more free press on Longhorn? Did most non-techie people even know it was coming in "late 2006" before they started reading articles about Tiger? I don't know why they feel a need to do a comparrision between a shipping OS and vaporware.

I'm not ragging on this video clip per se, this has been bothering me since last week. Can ANYONE find a Tiger article that doesn't mention Longhorn in some way? Good luck trying.

-- TMO

Sosa
Senior User
May 7, 2005, 02:19 PM

Ah.. did anyone see that beautiful chick at the start of Jim Goldman's report? She tries to walk behind him and then turns around?! Wow.....
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2005, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Try flushing your cache/resetting Safari.

P.S. What kind of hardware do you have, and how smooth is the playback? If you download the clip you can also check the frame rate in QuickTime.
This thing seems to get close to maxing out a G4 667 MHz.

Can someone with a slower G4 give it a shot, and check what frame rate you're getting? (You're supposed to get 30.) And it probably sucks royally on a G3.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2005, 02:56 PM

Can someone with a slower G4 give it a shot, and check what frame rate you're getting? (You're supposed to get 30.) And it probably sucks royally on a G3.
Dual G4/450 here, my framerate fluctuates between 29 FPS and 31 FPS, so no problems here.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Mac Write
Mac Elite
May 7, 2005, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by jedimstr
I actually work at CNBC... so imagine my surprise when I saw the clip on Apple's site. Nice

I've been able to "convert" a few people at work... and there's a certain buzz about two things right now at the news desk, satellite operations, and IT (graphic dept's already "in our camp"... no surprise). Tiger and Episode III. Warms my heart....

Just two years ago, there was a major move from old Apple PowerMac G4 editing stations running Avid's stuff on OS9 to Windows 2k machines with Avid stuff (bleh!). There are definite changes a-foot for the whole NBC news organization when it comes to the way we handle video... and as more buzz picks up, I see a good future for Apple in the broadcast industry. They had a great presence at the last two NAB conferences... and it's starting to show behind the scenes, and "leak" enthusiasm all the way down to the reporters (even if they are a bit clueless about the tech).
Do you think you could get full DV quality versions of all of Apple related stuff that has aired on CNBC and get the copyright info added and see if they would allow AppleAds to post them in the Apple in the Media section? a section just for CNBC could even be added.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2005, 03:50 PM

Hehe, you are definitely right about the G3, though. My Pismo fluctuates between 0 and 1 fps (meaning, the video is mostly a single static frame that only updates every so often).

Of course, the Pismo is still running Panther, so maybe that has something to do with it. However, I'm guessing that Apple's probably optimized QT heavily for AltiVec.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2005, 04:02 PM

Dang. I can't believe that is only 12MB, 2:35, and looks that nice. I <3 H.264.

jedimstr
May 7, 2005, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mac Write
Do you think you could get full DV quality versions of all of Apple related stuff that has aired on CNBC and get the copyright info added and see if they would allow AppleAds to post them in the Apple in the Media section? a section just for CNBC could even be added.
I do have access to all NBC News and CNBC segments in MPEG and DVCPro. I doubt this would get anywhere through me though... it's something that has to go through PR and Legal...maybe the Brand development group. They probably did that already for this clip, or went through one of the third-party media clip distributors.

BTW- Steve J. is a regular on CNBC (usually after his big keynotes) and Mossberg's been a big cheerleader for Apple on his regular "Power Lunch" Tech Segment appearances (usually every business day).
Jedi's Lair: Reviews, Tips, and the RickyCam
Jedi's Photos: Living life one shutter click at a time...

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2005, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Dual G4/450 here, my framerate fluctuates between 29 FPS and 31 FPS, so no problems here.
Yeah, a dual G4 450 shouldn't be a problem. A single G4 450 would be though.

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Hehe, you are definitely right about the G3, though. My Pismo fluctuates between 0 and 1 fps (meaning, the video is mostly a single static frame that only updates every so often).

Of course, the Pismo is still running Panther, so maybe that has something to do with it. However, I'm guessing that Apple's probably optimized QT heavily for AltiVec.
Panther 10.3.9 with QT7 should be close to the same for the H.264 decode speed, as far as I can tell on my machines. What clockspeed is the Pismo by the way? Just wondering.

P.S. Is Pacifist fine for Tiger?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2005, 06:46 PM

P.S. Is Pacifist fine for Tiger?
I haven't noticed any problems yet...

OpenStep
Senior User
May 7, 2005, 09:02 PM

Plays like a 10 second delay slide show on my G3 iBook 800 MHz with Panther and QT7.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2005, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by OpenStep
Plays like a 10 second delay slide show on my G3 iBook 800 MHz with Panther and QT7.
Ouch!

Apple needs to put a couple of options on the page. There are gonna be a few annoyed people on broadband who upgrade from QT6 to QT7 only to discover this page becomes totally unplayable.

P.S. The Cube people are saying they get about 15 fps on a stock Cube. Wow, what a difference: 150X as fast on G4 450 vs. a G3 800.

Forum Links
Forum Rules