Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What's your latest thing?

What's your latest thing? (Page 2)
solero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2005, 12:38 PM

1. reading about composition, style and drama in movies: exams
2. analyzing Apple's "1984" commercial: exams (great isn't it)
3. analyzing peoples tv viewing habits (exams) - I study "film and media science"
4. picked up jogging
5. starting tai chi in 1 month - can't wait
6. surfing the internet
7. trying to "cure" my pc - i accidently erased something, and now it won't start - woops
8. stopped smoking (4 months ago) - woot woot

nickw311
Senior User
May 18, 2005, 12:49 PM

Reading: Crime and Punishment
Preparing for the LSAT
Watching a lot of movies that I rent from the Library
27" iMac C2D

milhous
Mac Elite
May 19, 2005, 01:09 AM

definitely want to read more once i graduate in a few weeks. it's been very difficult for me to read for pleasure when having to go through so much dense textbook material for the past 5 years. finally, i can enjoy reading again.

wish people read more in general and not necessarily consider it a school or work thing to do.
F = ma

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2005, 01:37 AM

I saw the 1971 version of Fiddler on the Roof for the first time on PBS the other night.

Great Movie.

-Owl

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2005, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by chris v
I've actually been reading up on the Anabaptists, lately. I got intrigued about Christian sects that eschew iconography after the recent spate of "Jesus in a Tortilla" and "Virgin in the Underpass" business. We've got a decent-sized Mennonite community just over the border in Northern Mexico. They seem like very dedicated, serious, spiritual people. I admire them, in a way.
Apparently the Mexican Mennos are actually not that bad... the Canadian ones aren't that great... the Mexican ones broke off from the Canadian ones or something don't exactly remember. Around here the Mennos just have their towns and kinda keep to emselves in the rural areas... and kinda stay in their bubbles.
But I do respect a lot of the basic things that differentiate the mennos from other groups. Then again I'm for the most part a Baptist so that makes sense.

And by the way I say Buddhism is trendy because lately the word Zen is plastered across just about anything meant to get house wives to buy their product, and I have had a whole lot of friends at different points tell me they were looking at it. I'm not saying it's a horrible thing. Personally there are certain things I don't mind certain things I obviously can't agree with etc. I'd certainly if given the chance between someone becoming a Buddhist or Mormon encourage them to be a Buddhist but at the same time I feel irritated by people who act as if it's a new thing they can just tack onto their key chain of other religious ideas that they're compiling as they tour what the world has to offer. I find buffet religion frustrating and disrespectful. So I have little against Buddhism (at least aside from what would be expected from someone with significantly different beliefs), I have more against North Americans who are spouting off poorly researched information on the topic over their soy based beverage.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
May 19, 2005, 04:16 AM

I just got out of an unproductive work environment, and am trying to make ends meet on my own. I've started a web service for photographers, and I'm learning Ruby on Rails for a rock climbing community site. Also I just did my second triathlon this last saturday, and have another one coming up next month, so I've been training for that.

You'd think with all this going on, I'd feel like I was getting a lot done, but I feel unproductive most of the time, and even when I'm being productive, I don't like how fast time goes by. I think I'm a beach bum in a web nerd's life.

I also want to start a rock band. Geez.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
May 19, 2005, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Superchicken
...if given the chance between someone becoming a Buddhist or Mormon encourage them to be a Buddhist but...
What do you have against Mormons? Do even know any? This isn't the first time you've written about us in a negative light, and I don't understand why. Did the missionaries convert your cousins or something?

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2005, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by KeyLimePi
I'm not proud of this, but lately I've developed a fascination with those two rednecks that sell hunting knives at 1 a.m. If I'm up, I watch them. So far I've ordered two sets (about 30 knives each) and given them out to friends.

I can't explain why but I'm vexed by these two guys and their twangy sales pitch. I hope they put out an album.
If you like those guys, you'd probably like Benny Hinn as well. He doesn't have the slightly-drunk-and-obstreperous-guy-in-a-bar quality that those guys have, but he's equally captivating. You don't have to believe anything he says, he's just fun to watch.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2005, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by ironknee
my "thing" now is discovering The Carter Family. There was a documentary on PBS recently and i watched it and though, oh ok. and didn't think twice...and of course, the songs got on my mind and now i can't stop listening to them. also a few dylan songs, a cup of coffee before i go and hurricane

also learning about mathmatics...not sure what but find it fun
Get the "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" album (the first one, not the others) - Maybelle is on it and it has the best versions of those songs I've ever heard (the title song has become shopworn, unfortunately), plus a lot of other great stuff, by Jimmy Martin especially.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2005, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by DeathMan
What do you have against Mormons? Do even know any? This isn't the first time you've written about us in a negative light, and I don't understand why. Did the missionaries convert your cousins or something?
I've known several. And no nobody I care about has been converted, though they were harassing a girl in my ISCF which had her sister very scarred for a while. But what do I have against em? Mainly doctrinal issues. Adding stuff to scripture, and that sorta thing.

demograph68
Professional Poster
May 19, 2005, 11:45 AM

I'm reading Coercion by Douglas Rushkoff. Interesting so far, especially his analysis on religious cults and its relationship to pyramid schemes.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
May 19, 2005, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Superchicken
I've known several. And no nobody I care about has been converted, though they were harassing a girl in my ISCF which had her sister very scarred for a while. But what do I have against em? Mainly doctrinal issues. Adding stuff to scripture, and that sorta thing.
John was talking about the Book of Revelations. BTW, Rev. was probably not the last book written. So John was breaking his own writings, not to mention he himself added to the word of God when he wrote that very scripture, but whatever.

Sorry for the derail. I've been studying a little doctrine too. (Sad attempt at re-railing this thread)
( Last edited by DeathMan; May 19, 2005 at 01:53 PM. )

wolfen  (op)
Mac Elite
May 19, 2005, 02:47 PM

We now return you to the thread already in progress...

"What's you're latest thing?"

"What are you into, lately?"

"What's goin' on?"
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2005, 06:07 PM

Posting in this thread...

-t

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2005, 08:35 PM

Working two jobs is keeping me pretty busy. Creative Director during office hours, book publisher in the evenings and at weekends.

tavilach
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 12:06 AM

Sex.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2005, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by zigzag
Get the "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" album (the first one, not the others) - Maybelle is on it and it has the best versions of those songs I've ever heard (the title song has become shopworn, unfortunately), plus a lot of other great stuff, by Jimmy Martin especially.
thx man

funkboy
Professional Poster
May 20, 2005, 01:21 AM

Reading an excellent book on the Bauhaus. It details the people behind the institution and some of the methods of learning there.
I'll soon be doing .Net programming for my summer internship... I hope that's a good 'thing.'

funkboy
Professional Poster
May 20, 2005, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by nickw311
Reading: Crime and Punishment
Congratulations on discovering a great book. If you like it and want something even *more* dense, try The Brothers Karamazov; I hope to get to read that again, and maybe in a different translation than Constance Garnett's.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2005, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by tavilach
Sex.
Spending time alone, eh?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Ω
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
Spending time alone, eh?
You know what they say, "Self love is good love"

"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

tavilach
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 03:34 AM

Spending time alone, eh?
No, no. I've been having sex. With women. Seriously.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

sworthy
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 04:54 AM

Just graduated from college. My plans are to do nothing for a bit, then start reading (books about the history of Afghanistan), and learn a little Farsi, then start a job in august. Oh, and I plan to sleep a lot and do a little traveling.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 20, 2005, 05:07 AM

Way too much work over the last week or so, but things keeping me sane have been the Do Me Bad Things album and trying to get back to where I was in GranTurismo 4 before the game save corrupted (up to 9% complete, I was 25% done before it corrupted) .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

d.fine
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 07:39 AM

Learning Cinema 4D , occasional work on my hobby room (home cinema), and trying to get a deeper understanding of HTML and Flash...
Whatever keeps me intrigued, hobby room is for the relaxation time I can fit in

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 10:20 AM

Pimpy.

Now, remember to always use protection.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2005, 10:21 AM

Glad you felt the need. To clear that up. Seriously ... not.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

slowspeed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2005, 10:34 AM

I'm going to start photo-editing and touching up some old images in my iPhoto collection. Don't really have any decent software for it yet, but thats what I'm into at the moment.

Mind you, if they finally get the iTunes store started here all else in my life will cease for while. One record company is holding out so it's not in AUS or NZ yet.

audio-books from audible.com have been good too. stuff about sinatra and monroe is good
Slow Speed
"I put the moron in oxymoron"

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2005, 10:40 AM

Hiking...

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2005, 11:11 AM

Raising Gouldian Finches.

tavilach
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 12:12 PM

Glad you felt the need. To clear that up. Seriously ... not.
Please don't degrade my sexual prowess.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2005, 12:26 PM

And we need to know WHY ???

-t

historylme
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 01:06 PM

Please don't degrade my sexual prowess.
Props given.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 01:08 PM

Pulled out my backpack/camping gear out of storage. Started planning some camping trips with friends and making reservations at some state parks/forest preserves. Just reserved a weekend this summer at Newport State Park.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
May 20, 2005, 01:19 PM

I'm a practicing budsterist.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2005, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by history1me
Props given.
Word. His forearms must be HUGE by now. Popeye-like, even.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ReggieX
Professional Poster
May 20, 2005, 02:56 PM

Got a new Power Mac, so setting that up. Weather's getting better, so also tuning up the ol' mountain bike. Plus I gave notice so I have to find a new apartment by the end of June, which means cleaning, packing, and tossing crap out before then.

Also, currently reading Umberto Eco's "Baudolino" and enjoying it quite a bit, then have to find time to read "The Watchmen," "V for Vendetta" and the latest "Battle Angel Alita" book.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

khufuu
May 20, 2005, 04:06 PM

Let's see... my summer projects are:

Learning Latin (..more latin actually)
Learning how to play the guitar (not yet started but soon)
Loosing a bit of weight and working out
Reading 'The Power of Intention' (currently)
Reading 'The Quantum and the Lotus' (next)

That last book looks quite interesting. It's by-line is 'A journal to the frontiers where scient and buddhism meet.'

For those interested it's by Matthieu Ricard and Trinh Xuan Thuan

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2005, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by waxcrash
Pulled out my backpack/camping gear out of storage. Started planning some camping trips with friends and making reservations at some state parks/forest preserves. Just reserved a weekend this summer at Newport State Park.
If you ever make it to DC I'll take you to http://www.nps.gov/shen/

Good stuff. The AT is like a super highway!

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 20, 2005, 04:45 PM

In the 'currently reading' department of this thread:

Just started reading 《孽子》 (Crystal Boys) by 白先勇 (Bai Xianyong / Pai Hsien-yung) for my Chinese III exam. Read the introduction and first chapter today, and understood most of it too, without the use of a dictionary (of which I'm very proud). Only fifteen more chapters to go, then...

demograph68
Professional Poster
May 20, 2005, 05:16 PM

Everyone's "latest thing" sucks.

J/K

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by demograph68

J/K
No you're not

And my latest thing does not suck, but I do suck at it.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2005, 06:01 PM

I am having fun with my blog recently.

-Owl

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
May 21, 2005, 01:53 PM

Watching the ill fated TV show FireFly. That and drinking heavily. Goodbye college.

Forum Links
Forum Rules